Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

The Scale of the Universe

daguin

I feel very small after looking at that diagram. For me though, I think the universe is infinite so we really can't estimate the size of the universe.

ALL humans suffer from delusions of grandeur ;)

Peace,
dave

Right on Blord - I have always felt that way.
That's why I love Astronomy, I keeps everthing in prospective dave!
When an astronomer looks through his telescope,
it's what he sees with his mind, not his eyes, that is the WOW factor.
I cant understand why everybody doesn't have a telescope,
and be in love with the night sky!

And, if trying to grasp the range of scale demonstrated there doesn't sufficiently boggle your mind, add the concept of quantum entanglement whereby the change in state of one particle in the universe can instantly (i.e. faster than the speed of light) effect the state of another particle in the universe, no matter the distance.

Ed

Or how about multi universes, and 11 dimension, or countless possibalities untill oberservation determination.

Blord

Ah you are a believer of the String Theory. It goes above my head, I can't imagine the multi dimension universe. But I do believe that the Big Bang is a result of a dimension clash.

btw I do own a telescope, a Takahashi FS102 4" refactor. Very nice view of Jupiter and the moons.

Last edited:
Fire in the bowl!

Possibly...:whistle:

WRT String Theory: isn't it a great satisfaction to think that the basic building block of the Universe is a vibration of a string? Like a song. Sounds very similar The Silmarillion's creation story.

Kage

Isn't the current thinking in physics, that the very tinniest particles are actually nothing more than patterns of energy?

Raybo

Call me old school but I have a problem grasping anything less (<) than a nutrino.