Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

The, "I want to build a laser", Thread

Morgan

Maybe sometime it'll get stickied...

Here's a question, if I'm not around to update the thread, can I hand over permissions to someone else?

M
:)

jakeGT

I think this should definitely be stickies In the tutorials section. And how about Dave or someone of the likes be handed permission to Update it with relevant information.

It definetly is sticky worthy. And updates in the form of posts can help w/ the new info. Plus we never get tired of pics. So build and post those photos.

Len

Is there a way to make the driver circuit fit into a smaller place?

Or is it small in the picture, I honestly can't tell. There's no size reference.

Also, I can't find handpieces ANYWHERE.

Last edited:
Huh I guess that search button DOES work after all... This is an awesome thread! Time to go try and build a laser and probably mess it up! (One can only hope all goes as they wish) :D

cyot75

Hi, I am new here and I'm not even close to knowing anything about lasers but I have a serious curiosity if someone can tell me. Is it possible to run multiple beams ( 10 - 20 ) through one lens or PBS cube at about a one degree angle without losing the width of the beam?

cyot75

Sketch of what I had in mind.

Attachments

• ls1 (Medium) (Small).jpg
    ls1 (Medium) (Small).jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 284

cyot75

Let me clarify, every picture I see of combining multiple beams, it is always at a 45 degree angle. I'm wondering if the beams can be ricocheted at a steeper angle like 1, 2, or 3 degrees?

Let me clarify, every picture I see of combining multiple beams, it is always at a 45 degree angle. I'm wondering if the beams can be ricocheted at a steeper angle like 1, 2, or 3 degrees?

I wanted to say no but after doing some digging, it appears that the answer is yes, based on conditions.

Here is an initial article that discusses various beam combining techniques.

It is not easy and not very efficient but apparently can be done. One such technique is called "filled-aperture combining"

It is far simpler to combine beams that are 45 degrees off from the main beam. You have probably seen some examples of that on this site where folks have built white lasers by combining beams of red, green and blue to form a single white laser beam. Most definitely in the realm of the hobbies. The other techniques discussed in the article, not so much.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

cyot75

Thank you, I will look into filled aperture combining. My curiosity was why someone hasn't put a dozen or more diodes into a hand held device since they are so small.

I would guess that is because the "normal" hobby method of combining laser beams requires beams of different colors in order to use beam combiners. There are only so many practical and affordable diodes of different colors and the corresponding beam combiner.

The method outlined in the article (filled-aperture combining) does not appear to be simple or efficient though it can utilize laser beams of the same frequency. You could wind up loosing too much beam definition.

Apologies of you already know the following stuff...

The beam combiner I have seen used in projects by forum members, is a mirror that is color coated to reflect a beam of a specific color only and allow other colors to pass through. All but the initial beam are perpendicular to the initial beam and as each beam and the initial beam pass through the appropriate combiner, the additional beam is reflected (merged) into the prior beam adding them together (as long as your alignment is right).

-----B-----C
-----[]-----[]
A----l------l
A----l------l
[]---\------\------

(diagram may not look too good depending on your selected style, if so sorry)

Beam A is the initial beam (say red) and beam B (blue) is combined with it using the beam combiner. The (now) red/blue beam then has C (green) added to it using the second combiner. The results is a white beam that is the (mostly) sum of the strengths of beams A, B & C.

More power to you if you want to further look into the "filled-aperture combining" method. I would be interested in what you find out. Good luck.

Last edited:

cyot75

I would not have bet money that they could do so much with colors. I was imagining a cone that could take in light from all around the rounded edge and send it straight out of the flat end. I see that I assume to much with optics and light but let me ask one who may know if it would be possible to send 6 - 8 lasers through one similar lens that each laser has and still get a straight beam out of that one lens.

Attachments

• ewrt 013 (Small).jpg
    ewrt 013 (Small).jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 317
  • ewrt 014 (Small).jpg
    ewrt 014 (Small).jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 242

cyot75

I am looking on ebay for about 20 lasers but the numbers vary very widely. As far as I know, the (nm) is how bright it is and the (mw) is how hot it is. Am I right?

Does the module have anything special in it or is it just a "holder" for the diode?

If it's just a holder, can I just machine one myself?