Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

The I "C" Red Battle Royale LPF Contest

I was thinking about it some more... I think a linear driver may actually be best for this kind of situation. Can still add all of those extra features, but I don't think that it will be necessary to use a switching driver when I can get ~75% efficiency with a linear driver. What's the Vf on these, anyway? About 2.5V, right?

Lazeerer said:

In Lazeerer's video where he pops the diode it looks like it goes from 2.1V/0.8A to about 4.5V/7.8A hopefully a datasheet will be released soon.

~ LB

They're just not controllable, don't come in very helpful packages... just so simplistic!

Disregard my first post here though. I came up with an even better design! >:D

i would like to add on to my design. thinkgeek has things called quantum bits. they light up with vibration. glue these to the motors and get a light show :)

Cool addition :D

f25e_quantum_bits.gif

~ LB

For the project box I will be ordering a custom clear lid. This will make the quantum bits more visible. Thinking of adding a third motor an mirror for more advance patterns :)

Put me down I am in.
I will make some thing cool. Need help finding driver that works to get max power.

Alright, I'm ready to post up my design.

I was inspired by Star Trek: The Next Generation. I figured I would make a real life phaser! I know it's been done before, but this will be complete with setting adjustment via two buttons (^ for increase and v for decrease in power) and will be encapsulated in a TNG phaser model (the one that Jayrob does is TOS). The driver for this one is the hardest part - making something with three buttons without any digital experience at all... it's tough! In fact, I'm not even going digital. I've figured out a neat way without any PICs to do this and it shouldn't be too big!

Rick Trent said:
Put me down I am in.
I will make some thing cool. Need help finding driver that works to get max power.

Right on Mr. Trent :beer: I know you're one of the pioneers with these diodes so this is very cool :) Hmm... Well a dually with your current driver design would be cool too :thinking:

Ok, Wolfman29, I'm officially excited about your design now :D

cantthinkofone, you are a dark horse in the running and it just gets more interesting ;)

~ LB

Last edited:

benmwv

Just noticed this thread!

I'll accept the invitation to be on Issacs team ;) Might decide to do my own entry later though, IDK.

Wolf, the beauty of the amc7135 is its simpicity!

-Extremely low external part count
-Low dropout
-Simple wiring
-EASY package (why do you say its hard, it's not like its qfn or bga)
-Good heat disspation
-Heat spread over multiple ICs
-Highly scalable
-Easy to control by a uC, work just like a mosfet

I didn't know you could control them with a uC. But regardless, they don't really have amazing heat disspitating packages... and I don't like that they have to come in 350mA steps. I prefer packages with EPs. And they can't go over 6V or so, from what I can tell on the datasheet.

AND you can't pot control them! D:

Last edited:

benmwv

The 350ma steps and 6v limit are the downside. The heat dissipation isn't amazing, but they do have a small heatsink tab and since each one is only 350ma it works great.

The Vin pin functions as the "gate" to control them with.

So you can PWM them or you can actually control them like a voltage controlled resistor?

benmwv said:
I'll accept the invitation to be on Issacs team Might decide to do my own entry later though, IDK.

You have time to decide benmwv, you guys can come up with a Team name if you want. I'll put you up with Issac for now :)

~ LB

benmwv

I know for sure you can PWM them, but I have never tried forcing them into a linear region like a mosfet. I don't think it will work, probably just goes from full on to full off.

Thanks LB :p

Yeah. So they're really not as adaptable as I suspected. These are just crummy for 12x's. Ah well. I'm keeping my IC choice secret because it's the one I use in the BlitzLinear too ;)