Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

The I "C" Red Battle Royale LPF Contest

6wv4.jpg

This is my driver its a <75% efficent buckdriver its ready to do up to 15A and has an input for PWM which I'll use for an frequency adjustable strobe

In my configuration for the 650nm c-mount Its output is adjustable from 0 to >>>6.5A<<<[:eg:nothin else but full power] with a fader potentiometer

I've just ordered 3 pbcs of it at oshpark and parts from digikey

Once its fully assembled I'll test it with an ozilloscope and with a high power red led (Pt-120 :thanks: DTR) as test load

I'll will also order my battery voltage control led circuit and temperature control circuit tomorrow

My host design I'm doing with Spaceclaim (thanks to my dad bought it for his work :)) Its nearly finished so I think I can post the rendered model of it here on monday (full weekend plans :D)

oh I've forgot to mention the dimension of this its a 2 layer board of 1.75x1.00 inches (44.48x25.43 mm)

Nice size on the board :gj: Look forward to seeing what kind of host you come up for your design :)

~ LB

My boards should be arriving any day now! I should probably order the parts :thinking:

I still can't find much, how many amps does this beast need in order to anhilate the eyes of onlookers with blinding circular shapes? :D

IsaacT

It can be safely driven in a controlled setting up to 4.5-5A. However in a handheld most are limiting theirs to 3A. I am shooting for 4A.

By the way, do yall want me to upload pictures of my diagrams? For proof of concept?

DTR

Even though 4-5A is the target current for this diode to run @ peak the key is to have a soft start that ramps up the current as sending 5A in a sudden burst can be very rough on the diode and possibly damage it. Any driver we design for these diodes really should incorporate a soft start feature into it.:beer:

So I got the PCBs in! Woo, fun! They are a lot smaller than I thought they would be D: They fit nicely into the phaser, too. The parts should be in on Monday, so I'll probably do board assembly Monday night. If it works, I'll have some pictures for ya'll come Monday evening! I hope it works D:

Thank you DTR for the important advice! :beer: Soft start those diodes folks! :)

Sounds great Wolfman! Look forward to seeing your board.

~ LB

JUST TO BE CLEAR: I came up with the idea to do a star trek TNG phaser build before that guy built his =p So it's still original! D:

Hey now. You have no idea when I "thought" of this lol

Yours will be red AND way more advanced than mine. I dont have the know how to get those stock buttons to work and such. I really look forward to your TNG phaser

Last edited: