Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

The Green Gargoyle 10.08 W @ 520nm

Well....BobMc....Consider that this build has six (6) LD's combined...vs the four (4) that the Blue Katar was to have.....AND....the 520nm line has about 5 X the luminosity that the 450nm line has....SWAG @ 30 X the brightness !!! Bazinga !! ….and that we are breaking new ground !!!! Hop on board !!

CDB

BobMc

Well....BobMc....Consider that this build has six (6) LD's combined...vs the four (4) that the Blue Katar was to have.....AND....the 520nm line has about 5 X the luminosity that the 450nm line has....SWAG @ 30 X the brightness !!! Bazinga !! Hop on board !!

CDB

I’m sitting on the bench but I’m watching the game. Does look like a winner!

Be blessed in your work, BobMc

Holy Crap Batman !!! TWO Builds !!!!!! OK....Two Arms....and Two legs !!!hahahahHAHA !!!

OK....Will continue my development work.....Gotta locate a small fan....and decide on LiPo power format !!!....IF we use a single 7.2 VDC LiPo Pack meant for use in the RC hobby...well.....then we would use a small VDC meter to monitor cell pack voltage,

One wild card remains....the triangle Front Surface mirrors !! Where to get.....Maybe Rob Stanley ??? A large sheet could be cut down into triangles !!

A section of Hex Bar could be machined down to form the mirror base !!

I still propose Six (6) separate drivers....one for each NDG7475. As this build begins to coalesce.....A firm grip on unit cost can be generated. Till then....pass the Popcorn !!

CDBEAM

And yet....another refinement V1.18 Shortened the Aluminum Hex bar....just a little to conserve space and lower cost.
We are now approaching the Asymptotic portion of the improvement curve...Very small incremental improvements.

Attachments

• Green Gargoyle V1.18.JPG
    Green Gargoyle V1.18.JPG
    156.4 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Well...Yes...I sure understand
I just know this will be outside my disposable cash allotment. :(

Well...Yes...I sure do understand !!! This is essentially....Six pointers....bundled into ONE....with a combined beam....Blazing a hole into the night sky ...into a Target stop on your own property of course !!!!

Has anyone ever tried this ?? Any projector companies ???? I just have not yet come up with a flaw in the design....YET ! Bouncing beams is not new !! Arranging them in a Star Pattern is new....I think !!….well.... it is new for a HH format !!!

IF...the 5 Red : 2 Blue : 1 Green ratio is fairly accurate for a RGB Projector.........so....50W Red ; 20W Blue : 10W Green.....so...a projector with combined Watt output of 80 Watt would use 10 Watts of Green. Yikes !!

Anyway....thanx for the support !!

CDBEAM

Great progress. One idea to add, shouldn’t the inside of the tube have fins inside for more surface area to transfer and remove heat?

Great progress. One idea to add, shouldn’t the inside of the tube have fins inside for more surface area to transfer and remove heat?

Well....Possibly....depends on how we pipe the air flow, how big the fan motor is ??? I was thinking of a 90 deg elbow …. drawing outside air....and a grate as the end cap... to dump that warmed air to the exterior of the build ??? Also depends on LiPo Cell Pack size ???

CDBEAM

Bump..... OK master, progress on sourcing the triangle mirrors yet? I'd consider polished aluminum but FS mirror with AR coating would of course be the way to go.

FS for sure....Reflectivity 98.9% is the way to go !! Numerous sources on Ebay @ 3mm thickness !! I may take the FS material to a local Stain glass Window maker...they have cut thousands of 3mm glass !!

OK...Yet another iteration !!! V 2.10

In this latest render....based upon suggestions...Let us just go with one Big honk'in fan....placed at the very rear of the build. Again...we are lucky....for the 92mm round Fan OD....just fits inside the 92.25 Aluminum Host tube ID !!! WOW.... 47.5 CFM.....That is a good amount of air !!!

Abandoned the Push/Pull Dual fan arrangement....and just go with one big fan !! SO....the exhaust ports....located between Bulkhead 2/3.....are made up of a series of Six (6) 12.7mm dia ports...…..might need more ports, must do the area in vs area out calculations yet.

SO......to all those watching....you can see how it comes together....based upon what is available off the shelf that fits our needs....or what we can use that needs some modification.....or that which is very custome.....What fits....and how to meet all the build demands...in the smallest possible unit !

OK....This will not be small....but.....will be the brightest HH around....for awhile !!!

CDBeam

Added: I am certain...there is not a way to place a second fan behind Bulkhead 1....just too much going on there !!! And besides...47.5 CFM !!! One fan of this size will do....IMNSHO

Attachments

• Green Gargoyle V2.10.JPG
    Green Gargoyle V2.10.JPG
    214.6 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Bob, do you know what back pressure that 47.5 CFM fan can work against to supply that much air? If there is too much resistance, a high RPM fan might be needed. CFM won't tell you anything without that information for this application, that could just be the free air CFM it can produce and what it can push through the host only 10 CFM or even less, and the high RPM fan be able to push far more air through the host.

Look at the ability for a fan to push through back pressure like you would voltage, if not enough voltage through a resistor there is too much voltage drop (air pressure drop) to have much remain on the other side of the resistor (two series resistors, the second resistor the output vent with very little resistance). You need a high RPM fan to produce high pressure. That fan might only be good for low resistance back pressures, otherwise it just won't do much.

Last edited:
Bob, do you know what back pressure that 47.5 CFM fan can work against to supply that much air? If there is too much resistance, a high RPM fan might be needed. CFM won't tell you anything without that information for this application, that could just be the free air CFM it can produce and what it can push through the host only 10 CFM or even less, and the high RPM fan be able to push far more air through the host.

Chris.

I am..." A lost ball in tall weeds " in the area of Air flow vs Back pressure !!! I understand your concern and agree with it !!

See this link....this is the fan I was referring to in V 2.10.....

Sez fan speed @ 2000 RPM....and nothing about back pressure. Sounds like you have done some work in this area !!!
OK....Help !!!!!!! Really !!! Please select a fan...preferably not larger than 92mm dia.. High RPM......and I will design around this...I just do not know !!

Some stuff I know a little….other stuff...I am clueless...…Maybe some others watching this thread can/will add to this area....step right in !!!...….

Thanx,
CDBeam

Added: Thanx for the explanations….I am beginning to understand now...…….like with most things....it is alwqys 10X more complex than one would have guessed !!!

I had to do a lot of research for a 6000 watt RF power amplifier I built 20 years ago, learned a lot when I was designing that, had to go to a squirrel cage fan to get enough air with the back pressure I was working against, the other choice is a more conventional box fan like you are showing, but they can only push against back pressure if the RPM's are high, 2000 RPM isn't that much for the size of those fan blades. I will see what I can figure out, might need to rig up a mock host and see what the back pressure might be.

Edit: I just looked at the specs for the fan you found, the current draw is only 200 mA at 12 VDC which is only a couple of watts, no way will that push air through that host at 47 CFM, maybe 2 or 3 CFM, perhaps less. I'm just now googling for more information, but I found this web site which fills in some of the gaps I have:

This link helps too: http://www.sunon.com/uFiles/file/03_products/07-Technology/004.pdf

And finally, this quote and link below:

....Air Pressure

The above equations state the airflow rate required to cool a product. It is also necessary to know the pressure at which the airflow is to be delivered by the fan. The path of the airflow through the product to be cooled will create a resistance to the flow of the air. Fans should be selected to produce sufficient pressure to force the required volume of air through the product to enable the desired cooling. Calculating the required pressure will be a separate task for each unique product and cannot be simplified in a manner similar to the flow rate calculations. Many CAD products are available to calculate the air pressure and airflow characteristics of a design, while anemometers and manometers can be used to measure the air speed and pressure characteristics once a design is completed. []/quote]

The above from: https://www.cuidevices.com/blog/understanding-airflow-fundamentals-for-proper-dc-fan-selection

Last edited:
Yikes Chris !!! This is a technical area.....typical….always much more complicated than one would have imagined !!! The SUNON paper is excellent !!! I even understand it...………...somewhat HAHAHAHA....SO.....how big a fan is this gonna take ????? Seems to be an area not many want to join the conversation !! I can do searches.....but....what am I looking for ?????...….I mean....we can add a much bigger fan to the rear of the unit.....but....how big ?????

We are designing here....WITHOUT the benefit of a multimillion dollar R&D department......Sigh !!!!! This is a complicated area....Flow Dynamics are complicated !!! Yikes....we could so many, many prototypes.....spend a 100K + to study !!! Hmmmm...We could wear White Coats....and speak the Language of Mathematics !!!!! NNaaahhhhh…. I get back to the position........What will be your average Runtime ??????

A simplified approach......very simplified.....Select a fan that will move air the most efficiently....that you are willing to have on the back of the host tube.....so.....and live with the delivered results !!! In the typical HH....Cycle on-time is just not that long !!!

Even though it is almost free here....we are getting down in the weeds !!!......SO....I will take your lead on this....and in the meantime....do some homework !!!….

Thanx, Bob