Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

The Green Gargoyle 10.08 W @ 520nm

Ok....OK....See attached drawing V 1.9 !!!

See the Magenta colour geometry !!! The Six (6) beams....placed end to end ( 5mm wide) form an hexagonal shape !!
This shape, when a circle geometry is overlayed….forms an annulus geometry of outside diameter at 14.497mm and
inside diameter at 10.025mm !!!

So....bigger than I originally thought....BUT...BUT....If we add on the use of Six (6) pair of Cylindrical lenses....I bet we could get ….SWAG !
half of that !!!

Either way....I want to see it.....It can be built !!! Line forms HERE !!!! Cost....MMMMmmmm….One Arm + One Leg !!!hahahahaha

Later,
Bob

Attachments

• Green Gargoyle V1.9.JPG
    Green Gargoyle V1.9.JPG
    123.7 KB · Views: 7

Damn, that's a tight spread for that much power Bob, and with the geometry, I bet a spherical beam expander can be used too. I think you are on to something good. Please put me at the head of the line.

Wait....Wait....Thinking....Why would we orientate the beams @ 5 mm wide....why not 2mm wide....crap....another drawing.....lucky I am good at this
CAD crap !!!!! So.....more of a star pattern....a spoke pattern.....give me a few min !!

Last edited:
WOW......Look at this !!! We are down to a circle pattern...…..13.612mm dia Outer ring x 4.0mm dia Inner ring....not quite....but almost a solid circle of Green Photons...….@ 10 watts !!! Yikes !!

MMMmmmm….Price just went up !!! HAHAHAHA !!!.....NOBODY has done this...I think !!! Not bad....for just a bunch of hacks !!!!!

Thank's all for your inspiration !!! We are a team !!!......OK....What did I forget ????? HMMMMmmmmmm ?????? Maybe nut'in !!

Maybe C-Lenses will NOT be needed after all !!!....More tomorrow !!!!….and YES....I do wear a Tin Foil Hat !!!!

CDBEAM

Attachments

• Green Gargoyle V1.10.JPG
    Green Gargoyle V1.10.JPG
    123.7 KB · Views: 10
  • Green Gargoyle V1.10 Enlarged View.JPG
    Green Gargoyle V1.10 Enlarged View.JPG
    102 KB · Views: 12
  • Tin Foil Hat V1.png
    Tin Foil Hat V1.png
    65.1 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
If you can keep all those beams parallel, that will be something to see, Bob. I'm routing for you.

If you can keep all those beams parallel, that will be something to see, Bob. I'm routing for you.

Well...Yes....That will be a challenge !!! The Aluminum base plates will provide beam yaw adjustment. The Lasertack Prism mirror holder will deliver beam pitch adjustment. We can set where the beams strike the Hexagonal Polygon Base+mirror ( Now to be called the HPB ) by adjusting the height of the HPB atop the Hexagonal Bar Stock.

Where to get the Triangle mirrors ??? Dunno …. How to machine the HPB from Aluminum ??? Dunno.....Both a challenge by themselves...
Perhaps the HPB could to be " Printed " ??? Dunno.

Later,
CDB

Bob, do you have plans to incorporate a fan to cool this baby down?

It occurred to me that it would run hot, but I thought you would just limit the run times. If you do plan to incorporate a fan into this build that would be different.

Could ADD a fan !!! A single NDG7475 generated some heat....Six (6) could use a fan !!! No Peltier Crap......Sucks too much juice !!

SO...The current render....one of dozen's design's that will evolve....see the attached drawing......Hexagon @ 69.958 mm across....MMMMM.....

I layed out six (6) 18650 Li{o cells.....well....really tight !!! Likely borrow some Multi 7.2 VDC RC Multi LiPo Cell pack.....and all six (6) drivers pull off this common pack....Dunno !!

SO...NO Solid Hex Bar....Hex Tube stock !!! Let's see what is off the shelf..... !!!

We serve a few constraints now ;

1) .Available LiPo cell packs....size ????
2) Available Off the shelf Ally Hex Tube stock size ?????

These are the first two that lay the foundation for the design !!!! Gotta start here !! Do we need a fan....aaaaa….maybe....would it be nice !!! Sure !!!

You will see the build evolve ...B4 your eyes....driven by what is made and available....cost...and our combined imagination !! Pass the Popcorn !!

Enjoy the ride !!! Too soon to speculate on build cost....as the design is not yet developed enough !!!!….

MMMmmmm….LD( NDG7475) + Coll (G8)i + Bounce prism + Prism mount....x Six (6) = over 1K alone !!! This will be a costly build.....But....a real KA one !!!!! Hold on to ur hat !!

CDB

Attachments

• Green Gargoyle  Hex Only V1.JPG
    Green Gargoyle Hex Only V1.JPG
    42.1 KB · Views: 1
OK....MMMmmmm….seems that approx. 2 1/2 Hexagonal Bar or tube stock is NOT as easy t find as I thought !!! I see Brass Bar stock @ 2 1/2"....MMM

….To expensive....Not conductive enough.... I Suppose one could machine 2 1/2" aluminum Square stock down to a Hexagon with a dia of 2 1/2"

I think I could do it ??? Kinda of a PITA though !!! Anyone find anything !!!

Forget Tube stock !!!! Not enough room for an internal LiPo cell pack anyway !!!

Nothing good ...is ever easy !!!!

CDB

OK...I can find 2' ( 50.8mm) Aluminum Hex Bar stock !!! That will work nicely. Redrew drawing ….see V 1.11 drawing.

Overall OD also now reduced to 4" ( 101.6mm) !!!

I am thinking....the whole build will be constructed inside the 4" Aluminum tube. In this render, the tube wall is 1/8" ( 3.75mm) in thickness.

I am envisioning all the Lipo cells, drivers and fan.... will be within this 4" tube...riding in the rear !!! The 2" Hex Bar stock will only extend back far enough to attach the LD mounts. It will stop there....and behind that....we will have all the electronics and LiPo cells......All the junk in da trunk !!

Not sure on how to secure the LiPo cells ??? or...if we will use round cells....or an RC LiPo Pack ???? Just more details to hammer out !!

Comments ??????????????????? Suggestions ???????????? I/O Switches / Safety interlock / Indicator lights....maybe a safety I/O....and a Angle Eye Latching Switch ??? If we use one (1) large LiPo....a small VDC meter for sure !!

MMMM...Maybe the front 2"....has a series of radially placed...25mm view portals.....with an Acrylic outer sleeve....er….ah....to display the outrageous business end of this beauty ????...Kinda retro look'in ??????...or not....just solid Aluminum ???? Dunno ??

CDBEAM

Attachments

• Green Gargoyle V1.11.JPG
    Green Gargoyle V1.11.JPG
    122.2 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
OMG...This build has my hair on fire !! Very complicated....at least for me !! See attached Beam Path possible arrangement....Some concern with the Lasertrak Mirror mount foot....being in the way of the beam path....But....I think it will be OK...If not...I have a work around.

Note...I am only showing One (1) LD on the drawing ( V 1.13 )....remember....we will have Six (6) !! Alignment !!!! Arrrrghhh !!!!

Enjoy !!

CDBEAM

Note: Modified drawing...to reflect beam offset from very tip of Polygon Hexagonal Mirror arrangement...Now...the drawing shows the correct beam circle of 13.612mm. MMMmmmm...No extra charge !!

Attachments

• Green Gargoyle V1.14.JPG
    Green Gargoyle V1.14.JPG
    143.5 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
That is very tight Bob, good ideas you have, says Yoda, but my bank account is weeping already. Fortunately, I already have a lot of the parts :)

Good
That is very tight Bob, good ideas you have, says Yoda, but my bank account is weeping already. Fortunately, I already have a lot of the parts :)

That is good...for this build will demand many parts !! Will PM you as to what you have

That said...I would like to build Three ((3) of these units !!! And I would keep one (1) !!

Anyone else interested in a " Green Gargoyle " ???? Final cost depends on how many I build, for I hope to pass along any volume discounts I get......If I get any ! Final cost also depends on Cost of custome optic and the balance of the components...you know....Drivers, Switches, LiPo Pack.
Build Metal bits.

My thought is to use a 4" Aluminum Tube for the Host shell.....about 12" long.....so....100mm dia x 300mm long !....Likely I will use Six (6) independent drivers. The Solid Ally hex bar could extend back....about 50mm.....and each driver could be mounted to one of the six faces of the Aluminum Hex Bar. So....we have a heat sink for the drivers ….in this arrangement!!!

SO...for cooling....well....thinking !!! Not yet resolved !!! I do not like the concept of blowing dust laden air past optics !! I really want to cool the Hex bar...ONLY !!! HMMMMmmm ???? Perhaps something.....re_purposed from a Laptop cooling systems....Needs to be small....and...off the shelf if possible !!!

Perhaps just a passage in and a passage out of the Ally Hex bar to provide a air cooling pathway. A small fan could then be mounted within the tube shell. This idea was suggested by the Alaskan. Hmmm....nice and simple ! Maybe we go that way !!! We have more than enough complicated stuff going on at the other end !!!

Later,
CDB

Last edited:
OK...Just an update....showing the proposed Air Flow In/Out ports. Maybe a small fan arrangement...pulling in outside air...and cooling the Aluminum Hex Bar ….As they say... " The Devil is in the Details " !!

In such a simple arrangement....we cool both the Diodes and the Drivers...but yet...keep outside dust from deposition on the optics !!
Oh, a circular rear bulkhead of Aluminum would seal off the LD / Optics / Driver compartment from the Fan and Lipo Cell compartment.

The front already has an Aluminum circular bulkhead that will be attached to the top of the hex bar. The combination of the front and rear bulkhead serves to position and fix this unit within the 4" Aluminum tube. So...the build starts to come together...in CAD anyway.

Still fishing for a third sponsor !! " Buhler....Buhler " ????

Later,
CDBEAM

Attachments

• Green Gargoyle V1.17.JPG
    Green Gargoyle V1.17.JPG
    182.1 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

BobMc

No promises at all, but this build does intrigue me greatly. Will be keeping a eye on your build.

All my best, BobMc