Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

The Cyan Cannon Vll Build

Note: Update 4.19.2016....Blue and Green module appropriated for Lumia project...Possible to be resumed May/June 2016. Sorry...between Lumia and commission work....I am taking a little side detour !!! Just way too may things to distract me !!! Beam Out.

Well....so....this Cyan Cannon build was originally in the experimental area. ...back in May...but I thought I would pick up my toys....and move here....for...Combiners.....as this build is...are an more intense sorte into the area of Optics !!!

I should note the Cyan Cannon II build proposes to both optically correct and combine the beams of the ( Blue ) NUBM07E and the ( Green ) NDG 700 LD's....into a single beam with excellent / minimal divergent characteristics.

Anyway....I have attached two (2) drawings of the way things might unfold ! Also added a pic of the Sky Blue Ramjet which uses the basic HSOP unit to mount all the goodies !

It all depends on what is optically possible ! I know and understand the nature of the NUBM07E....with respect to optical correction with Cylindrical lenses.....but have no first hand knowledge of optical correction associated with the NDG 700 LD....and.. I do not recall anyone doing any Cylinder lens correction experiments with the NDG 700.

The deal is this...the lens to lens separation distance on the 6X cylindrical lens is very, very specific.....and for best correction must be set to .05mm +/-

Now....I know what that is for the NUBM07E.....but....is this distance the exact same for the NDG 700 ?????? Unknown !!!!!

And...to use one common set of cylindrical lenses to correct....as seen in the HSOP V7 drawing.....this distance must be exactly the same.

If the separation distance is different for each LD....then....one must
use an optical set up as seen in HSOP Extended V1....which would employ two (2) separate sets of cylindrical lenses....then....bounce and combine the beams....as was done with the Purple pHaze build !!!

These Laws of Optic's are just a real PITA sometimes !@@@ !!

The Optical platform on the HSOP Extended V1 comes out to about 75mm past the end plane of the Maglite host !!
That is just what has to be....for the 12mm Copper modules must now be pulled out into the main bell portion of the Maglite....and not tucked back into the smaller diameter !!

Well...one good thing....now that smaller diameter recess can be used for the dual driver placement !!

Stay tuned. Just about to order the two LD modules....then the experiments with correction optics will occur....MMMmmmm....I promise....this build will unfold....by....errr....Christmas !!!:san::san::san:

Attachments

• Cyan Cannon II HSOP 7.JPG
    Cyan Cannon II HSOP 7.JPG
    88 KB · Views: 403
  • Sky Blue Ramjet completed 1.jpg
    Sky Blue Ramjet completed 1.jpg
    115.5 KB · Views: 446
  • Cyan Cannon II HSOP Extended V1.jpg
    Cyan Cannon II HSOP Extended V1.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 371
Last edited:

Re: The Cyan Cannon II Build

I did a similar set-up for a projector except I used 2X1W 520 and 2X M462. Worked really well. The differing distance from diodes to the first c lens didn't seem to hurt things too much. The 520 and the M462 have roughly the same emitter size. I think the NUBM07E has a 2X wider emitter. This might give you some grief. You may be able to match the farfield spots by using different collimation lenses. Say 2mm on the green and 4mm on the blue. Hard to say. Another possibility would be using different -C lenses for each diode and one positive for the output. Interested to see how it unfolds.

Last edited:

I did a similar set-up for a projector except I used 2X1W 520 and 2X M462. Worked really well. The differing distance from diodes to the first c lens didn't seem to hurt things too much. The 520 and the M462 have roughly the same emitter size. I think the NUBM07E has a 2X wider emitter. This might give you some grief. You may be able to match the farfield spots by using different collimation lenses. Say 2mm on the green and 4mm on the blue. Hard to say. Another possibility would be using different -C lenses for each diode and one positive for the output. Interested to see how it unfolds.

LS....You are to blame for all this !!! IIRC...it was your projector build that inspired me to "paint" with Green and Blue Photons ....way back when !!!
Thank you !!! :bowdown::san:

SO yes.....at the end of the day.....the goal for the HH format is similar divergence at the far field !! And...yes...there are several ways to get there !!

One may be able to cheat the Gods of Optics by using two different Collimation lenses !!! YES !!!!! Great idea !!

I have the dual C-lens option.....but....this increases the build length....and complexity....and while....I can handle this....why bother If a streamline solution is to just use two different FL collimation lenses !!! YES !!!:bowdown::bowdown:

Stay tuned....for I have a G2 and LSP 2mm ready to roll !! Thanx !!:p:p

Note...It was you LS !!

See....http://www.photonlexicon.com/forums...lue-and-green-diodes-at-same-time-with-prisms

SO...it all depends on the emitter size of the NUBM07W vs. the emitter size of the standard M462 LD !!! I could always revert to using the M462 with the NDG 700...but....of course then...I want more raw power...and this combo will be shifted more toward the blue line...mmm. ???..462nm @ 2W vs. 470 nm @ 4W.....both increased perceived luminosity as we shift up and double the power....SOooo the resultant beam will be more dominated by the blue photons !!! Decisions...Decisions !!!

As I always say....we all benefit from sharing our inspiration and passion !!!

Last edited:

Note...It was you LS !!

I can neither confirm nor deny these allegations:)

Stay tuned....for I have a G2 and LSP 2mm ready to roll

Fire it up!

I could always revert to using the M462 with the NDG 700...but....of course then...I want more raw power...and this combo will be shifted more toward the blue line...mmm. ???..462nm @ 2W vs. 470 nm @ 4W.....both increased perceived luminosity as we shift up and double the power....SOooo the resultant beam will be more dominated by the blue photons !!! Decisions...Decisions !!!

You can always turn the blue down. Plus if you have 4W blue its ready for when the 2W green diodes hit.

You can always turn the blue down. Plus if you have 4W blue its ready for when the 2W green diodes hit.

Whaaaaaat ??? Throttle down the 470 nm line ??? Blasphemy sez I !!!...Maybe !!! And...U R right....the 2W Green should be coming !!!
2W @ 520 and 4W @ 470....might be a perfect balance ??? SIGH !!!

This money pit...has NO bottom !!! :san::san::san:

Another project never to be finished, eh :shhh:
(I kid!)

It would be nice if you could manage a cylindrical aluminum shroud to cover the front "sled"- tidy everything up and make it look fresh, rather than a flashlight with a square hanging out the end, if you get what I'm saying.

(I kid!)

It would be nice if you could manage a cylindrical aluminum shroud to cover the front "sled"- tidy everything up and make it look fresh, rather than a flashlight with a square hanging out the end, if you get what I'm saying.

Yikes....Cover that beautiful " Beam Hammering "....yes...could be done !! Replace the Bezel ring with an black anodized Aluminum tube....threaded at one end in the ID....so....in reality...we just have a very long bezel ring that shrouds all the guts !!

My skills as a hack machinist are just starting to master threading !! AND...on an ID race....and Metric.....YIKES !!! I think I would pay to have one of our truly skilled machinist do this !!...Outa my Ball Park...at this time !!!

I think Jander 6442 and I both like to have the internals exposed...but...this is a matter of taste....many may find this....an unfinished/rough look.

Honestly...on some builds....the technical demands....and then solutions deserve to be displayed....all a matter of taste !!! :D:D:D

But....I can see your point !!!!!

And....of course...we rely on the axiom that..." It is hip to be square/nerd-like"

:thinking::thinking::thinking:

Last edited:

Just tap and thread a end cap and fill the 2 ends with an acrylic tube. You can still see the lenses.

(I kid!)

Hey....watch it !!! There is only one project that has fallen off the map !!!
Never mind !!!

The Cannon will happen....just some technical questions to be handled !!! Specifically....a single or a dual set of Cylindricals ????

AND.....I really do like to display....yet cover the optics with a clear Acrylic canopy or tube !!!....Hmmmm....Perhaps I will do this clear Acrylic tube shroud concept to the Cyan Cannon build ....like the Jander 6442 Dual 405 build ???? See http://laserpointerforums.com/f38/dual-411nm-1335mw-2d-mag-pbs-cube-newport-mounts-89822.html :thinking::thinking::thinking::thinking::thinking::san:

Acrylc tube covers the optics show !!! Gotta think about this !!! It would look more....finished !!!...yet...still show the business !!

Last edited:

Hey....watch it !!! There is only one project that has fallen off the map !!!
Never mind !!!

The Cannon will happen....just some technical questions to be handled !!! Specifically....a single or a dual set of Cylindricals ????

AND.....I really do like to display....yet cover the optics with a clear Acrylic canopy or tube !!!....Hmmmm....Perhaps I will do this clear Acrylic tube shroud concept to the Cyan Cannon build ....like the Jander 6442 Dual 405 build ???? See http://laserpointerforums.com/f38/dual-411nm-1335mw-2d-mag-pbs-cube-newport-mounts-89822.html :thinking::thinking::thinking::thinking::thinking::san:

Acrylc tube covers the optics show !!! Gotta think about this !!! It would look more....finished !!!...yet...still show the business !!
Was messing around with that unit last night been thinking about doing another one

Was messing around with that unit last night been thinking about doing another one

Well....The Laser Gods have blessed us....because...as unlikely as it may be...the OD of the 2Cell cell Maglite...is 2.24" (56.91mm)....SOoooo...

One could use a clear Acrylic tube....with a 2.25" ID !! How fortunate that this is a very common size. I highly doubt that Maglite had us in mind when they brought the 2 Cell Maglite to market !! HAhaha...

I am envisioning an Arcylic tube....with added Aluminum rings/collars on each end of the clear tube. Mostly for looks. See pic of concept drawing.

And....as is typical....we inspire each other to push the envelope of both technology and design !! Thanx Mr.Jander for the inspiration !! :D

Attachments

• Cyan Cannon II with full Acrylic Shroud V1.JPG
    Cyan Cannon II with full Acrylic Shroud V1.JPG
    65.7 KB · Views: 229
Last edited:

Well....Finally some progress !!! Received the two (2) modules.....and drivers from Lazereer !!! (Thanx !!)

I decided to build up a Optical Test Bed....named the CLAT-B...I wanted to properly....and with ease... determine if I need one (1) or two (2) sets of Cylindrical lenses to do the optical correction on both the Blue and Green LD's. Well...the CLAT-B gave me an answer in short order....I need only one (1) set of Cylindricals for correction !

See this link !...and...see the attached pic of the Blue/Green boyz in action in the CLAT-B.

http://laserpointerforums.com/f42/cylindrical-lens-advanced-test-bed-clat-b-95252.html#post1383732

YES !! Good news...only need to use a single set of Cylindricals to do....the VooDoo ....Not two (2) sets !!!!! ...Yes...One set of Cylindricals will work !!!

We are lucky.....for the optimal separation distance between the PVC and PCX Cylindrical lenses is the SAME....for optical correction of the Blue ....OR... the Green diode.....SOooo...we can combine the beams....then correct them BOTH....at the same time.....SOooo....no need for two (2) sets of Cylindrical lenses.

See the attached proposed optical layout !!!

I tell u one thing....the set of 6X Cylindricals really remove's the bar shape from this Green NUGM01T LD....well...at 7M it does !!!!. The dot is round/square.....at 5.1mm in diameter. I do not know what the shape/divergence is....on the moon !!!...but...Big ...I imagine !!!

This is my first experience with the high power 520 nm series....WOW.... I am thankful evolution somehow landed at a peak responsivity of 555 nm for our eyeballs !!! Good choice !! haha...

Anyway....stay tuned for more Fun with Optics....as I start to steer and combine these beams... then forge and hammer them into a Calliope of Cyan Color !!

Pass the Pop Corn.....as we blaze a new trail for a HH unit... corrected and dedicated to a Cyan beam !!!!

Attachments

• Cyan Cannon II HSOP 7 Single  for printing CL.JPG
    Cyan Cannon II HSOP 7 Single for printing CL.JPG
    167.7 KB · Views: 230
  • CLAT B OP 8.jpg
    CLAT B OP 8.jpg
    19.6 KB · Views: 286
Last edited:

OK....Fellow Photon Phanatics..who give a Rat's Ass about this project....A little update on the Cyan Cannon ll.

Well to start.....the project has now evolved to the Cyan Cannon lll What a surprise !!

While manipulating the components around in the CAD environment, I discovered a clearance problem between the inside wall of the Maglite bell recess and one of the Flexmount fixtures. When one looks at a plan view....all looks good !!! But....a plan view is a 2D slice....not a 3D reality !! As the inside diameter of the bell curves upward....and the footprint of the component remains unchanged...and a clearance problem becomes apparent.

This clearance issue then demanded I move all the components forward....and increase the front section HSOP overall diameter. See the pic....The lower pic is the Cyan Cannon ll as originally envisioned. The middle pic is the required changes to provide adequate clearance...and the top pic is the envisioned Cyan Cannon lll

All credit for this latest concept goes to Jayrob with his Stubby build and to Yoshiyuki Tomino for commissioning me to do a special new project. The teaching of Jayrob and motivation from Yosh combined together to give me a "Eureka Moment"......a big thank you to these members...and off we go on a new direction !

As you can see....the length of the Cyan Cannon ll was becoming quite long....Tooo long....so...I decided to take the Jayrob Stubby design....retain the switch...and modify the front end to fit all my optic junk !! Simple !

The drivers...two (2) SBX required....will ride...side by side back behind the LD units.....and will be located within the original Maglite host ID. I will now employ a single 32650 LiPo cell...as with the Jayrob Stubby design.

Oh....and this unit will sport a 3/4 diameter...clear Acrylic canopy to cover....and display the optic voodoo !! 3/4 means the canopy goes 3/4 around the perimeter....and the final 1/4 perimeter is Aluminum. This canopy will be a larger version of the canopy used on the Dragon's Head build. I believe a 3/4 canopy to be better looking and more streamlined design...IMNSHO !

Anyway...there you have it....the latest and greatest...Pass the Popcorn !! Beam out ! :eg::eg::eg:

Attachments

• Cyan Cannon Side by Side by Side .JPG
    Cyan Cannon Side by Side by Side .JPG
    170.2 KB · Views: 263
Last edited: