Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

The "Blue Ninja" - 445nm 1,700mW DIY Creation

rhd

Hmm - wish I had understood how to modify the driver directly, instead of putting one final resistor on the constant current output, to bring it down just a bit.

Any idea as to why I'm hitting ~1700mA output without any modification?

Giface

Hmm - wish I had understood how to modify the driver directly, instead of putting one final resistor on the constant current output, to bring it down just a bit.

Any idea as to why I'm hitting ~1700mA output without any modification?

It could, and may very well be, more than one thing.

If you want to try and find out, then start my measuring the sense resistor - it should be 0.2 Ohms. If you can't measure the resistance for one reason or another then try to measure the voltage across the sense resistor while the circuit is running - you should get around 0.25V.

It would also be worth knowing the input voltage to the regulator while it's running - you may have an overhead problem that is ultimately limiting your current.

Dave

rhd

I wasn't worried about limited current, my impression was that this was a fairly impressive output. I had initially been under the impression that these were set at 1A current output.

I can't (don't want to) get back at this particular build to do any measurements, but I'll recreate the driver circuit once some new lipos arrive, and test the resistance of the sense resistor as suggested.

LaZeRz

Nicely done RHD :D this is pretty cool, much cooler then clicky style lasers and its compact and your creativity wows me..... again nicely done and i really like its title "blue Ninja" :D it lives up to its name..

i shall rep you again when im allowed to :)

awesome.....

A build of square cross-section? But that's madness!!

...I love your builds!!

rhd

Between you and I (and everyone else on the internet), I'm going to build two more.

I have the parts on order for a "Blue Ninja II"
(or more precisely, for two of them!)

I'm going to keep one for myself, and sell the other - and maybe even this original one too. The driver in this original guy has settled down in current to somewhere around 1,400mA. Still very cool, but not the full beastly power it once was. When I built him, I lacked good DIY driver ideas. But this time around, I'm going to do a real proper 1085 build, with high quality components and a better charging solution :)

I too must know who makes that enclosure in such an usual size/shape.

rhd

I am building a A140 laser with a DIY LM317 driver. I am using 2x 18650 batteries so when fully charged it is 8V+. Is this enough voltage? I am running this diode to 1.5A but is this enough voltage?

itsmei: Answer is no - not with an LM317 - not enough voltage.

However, I think you're in the wrong thread ;)

itsmei

xDDD Sorry! Haa. I will delete this post and start new Thread.

these are still available. rdh's sale made me buy one for a future project.