Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

The " Blue Katar " project

The " Blue Katar " Project ~ Two (2) 445 LD + Two (2) 465 LD to yield approx 19W in a Hand Held ....." Beam on Beam " Format....... " Lite'em up "

This project is just now in the design stages. I am not 100% sure it can be done. The project was inspired by the work of " LightSuperGlue " (LSG) and concepts/diagrams from Diachi and AaronT !!....And is with support/ components from Opt Lasers, Atten Lasers, DTR, Worsee and Live_Lasersystems. I am in contact with Live_ Lasersystems for the supply of a special Dichro critical to this project.

Well....hmmm.... I already have MANY projects in the que....but I just had to jump in this pot too !!!! Please forgive me to those patiently waiting for the other projects !!!

SOooooo....Imagine...Four (4) beams....ALL in a "Beam-on-Beam" arrangement.......NO side by side beams ...all the Photons...Barreling down the exact same tight beam path...." TO INFINITY AND BEYOND " !!! This is what I envision the " Blue Katar " to be !! The greatest energy density, optically corrected, LD driven Hand Held on the Planet....sans the dARPA boys !!!! God only knows what those guys have cooked up ?? !!

As LSG pointed out...Kvant Lasers has a 16W module that combines 450nm and 465nm....so...it must be optically possible !

Back at the start of 2016....there was a Group Buy on Photon Lexicon....for a special Blue-Blue Dichroic mirror. LSG has one of these special Dichroic mirrors and has already done this set-up....using this Dichro. He has obtained approx 19W....so again....it can and has been done.

The Dichro mirror is quite efficient. This Dichro mirror combines the beams of a 450nm Laser Diode and the beams of a 465nm Laser Diode. The 450nm line has a transmission of 95% and the 465nm line has a reflectivity of 90%. The Angle of Incidence is 45 degree....so....this Dichro...is like other Dichro mirror/filter Planar optics....nothing new....except....it combines...in a " Beam-on-Beam " fashion....the non-polarized beam path output's of 450nm and 465nm LD's.

How fortunate we are.... that the two (2) most powerful diodes available to us are the NUMB044 @ 450nm and the NUBM07E @ 465nm. I propose to use a PBS cube to combine the output of two (2) NUBM044 LD and then...use another PBS cube to combine the output of two (2) NUBM07E LD.

So....simply...a 2 + 2 arrangement....with the outputs of those beams then combined via the special B-B Dichroic mirror/filter. After the Combining optics....and then the Corrective optics....we SHOULD be able to get about 18.8W out the front door !!...ALL " Beam-on-Beam "...Yikes..." That is Hotter than the Sun " hahahaha...JK !!! The raw optical power ( Before Optics ) should be about 23.25 Watts.... ( With ALL LD driven @ 4.5A)

NOW...what has NOT been done..... is to condense all these components into a Hand Held Unit.....SO.... " Down the Rabbit Hole we go " !!

My first goal: purchase the specialized Blue/Blue Dichro optic....and experiment. I have a compact preliminary design...current iteration the BK-V6LPF. Note: This drawing was inspired and has been adapted from a design I rendered for Minamoto Kobayashi. Thanx Richard. And...This render is only the " Light Engine " portion....although, I am sure we can couple this with some style host.

The question remains....Can all these goodies ..really..be stuffed into a Hand Held unit....like stuffing into a Thanksgiving Turkey ?? Four Diodes, Four Drivers, One Dichro, Two PBS cubes, Three Bounce mirrors, Two Wave plates, One set C-Lenses, LiPo cells, Build host, I/O switch....and all the demanded hardware for mounting and alignment. I believe so !

But....the end result...A new Benchmark....for a short time anyway !! One question is...can all these four (4) LD be combined to deliver simultaneous and equal infinity focus. The die facet geometry on the NUBM044 is larger than the NUBM07E.....so...we have a difference at the very start between the LD units !!

This is just the very first step in this project !!! There are many, many, any more details to work out. I will make updates on this thread as this project SLOWLY unfolds !!! I would predict we MAY see " First Light" by Fall of 2017
Pass the Popcorn !! 19W !!! Lite'em up !!!

Happy " Lite Fuse'n run " Day !!!
CDBEAM

Attachments

• BK-V6LPF.JPG
    BK-V6LPF.JPG
    194.6 KB · Views: 98
Last edited:

BobMc

Awesome CDbeam; that will be one awesome handheld. My mouth started to water just reading your post. :drool:

Sending pm; would love to talk to you about "investment-ing" :)

Awesome CDbeam; that will be one awesome handheld. My mouth started to water just reading your post. :drool:

Sending pm; would love to talk to you about "investment-ing" :)

Thanx !!! This project will be a " Hoot "

The design is quite novel...Placing the Dual Modules...one up...and one down...to use all the available space....was " Tin Foil " inspired HAHAHA :san:

See attached pic...MMMM ???? " Luv stinks....Truth hurts " !!!!!

Beam out :wave:

Attachments

• TFOH Meter for LPF V1.png
    TFOH Meter for LPF V1.png
    182.8 KB · Views: 38

BobMc

Thanx !!! This project will be a " Hoot "

The design is quite novel...Placing the Dual Modules...one up...and one down...to use all the available space....

See attached pic...MMMM ???? " Luv stinks....Truth hurts " !!!!!

Beam out :wave:

I'm not so sure on your "tinfoil" meter, all good ideas start by sounding crazy until somebody does them. I've seen your work

http://laserpointerforums.com/f45/v...0-mw-optical-corrected-10x-linos-99439-2.html

and your blue build ( which I can't seem to find the post for ) anyways, I've seem your awesome work, so I'm in the stands cheering you on. ! :)

Doesn't sound crazy to me!
( but than maybe I am ). :tinfoil: :D

Damn gina.... Lotta ambition in this project!!! Can't wait

What do you plan to do with the ball lenses on the 07Es? If you leave them on, it makes your other optics more complex. If you remove it it makes the life of the 07Es very limited.

This should be good, can't wait to see it. :beer:

Last edited:
Exciting project. Is this meant for handheld? I was thinking about something similar for a projector. What about the N465? I thought it was the same as the 07E minus the ball lens?

Well...I was planning to leave the Ball lens on the 07E.....for...what I have read....with the lens in place....a good infinity focus is obtained.....so....that would work !!

But...per the DTR testing.... on the M465..we hit 5W at 4.4A....so....maybe the M465 is a better option.....a 10% higher current... 4.0A vs 4.4A..????? Well....and then....we do trend minimal run time with any HH....vs. a projector application. Must give this more though and some discussion @ DTR

CDBEAM

Last edited:

Radim

Very interesting. I wonder how the laser will look like in portable. I'm looking forward to see more. Rep+

Look forward to see how this progresses! Let me know when i can put my order in!! :drool: :drool:

Hi CDBEAM,

If I would start my project now I would try the new N450 and N465 diodes. There is a chance that they are closer in shape than 44 and 07 and have better original divergence (would also be a chance to test this). Of course if your aim is to make a long distance bright beam, not just a 5m instant burner like my "Tank gun" project.

The reasons I have used NUBM44 and 07E were:

- N465 did not exist 1 year ago.
- Ball lenses of my 07E produce spots 2-4x thicker than G-2 would but it is still fine if I just want to burn at 5-10m.
- Ball lens saves some space and trouble of fixing collimator with teflon tape. But your design is 17cm long and 3-dimentional, not just 12cm and flat like mine. You are not short of space there.
- I also tried 08 instead of 07E. Because even at 80% reflexion from the Dichro the contribution of some binned 08s to the combined beam would be >5W, so more than any 07 would give even at 100% reflexion but... it looks that 08 only reaches 460nm at 4.5A due to WL shift, and the beam is almost not reflected at currents <1A, so it was very difficult to adjust beams overlapping at low brightness and without burning fingers...

Last edited:
LSG...THANX !!!!We each should listen to the suggestions of other members....those that have " Blazed the Trail"....that have spent their time....and $$$$$$....and are most generous to share their victories....and their problems....SO...we each help each other !!!! And...at the very least should listen and consider what suggestions are offered....for...in the end...it is NOT about ego or " Bragging Rights "....it is about every so slowly....expanding the combined knowledge pool.

Over the years...I have shared a lot....and have received much, much more...for this...I am thankful.....OK...Of the Soapbox Now!!!! :crackup::crackup:

I will study and consider your suggestions !!

Thanx again,
CDBEAM :eg:

Update....Research done....Sold to moving over to the N450 and N465 diodes
Look at the difference in divergence ...N450 vs NUBM044.....and the N465 also is the way I will go !!!!!!

OK....And....No fixed Ball Lens focus to putz with !!! No Brainer !!!

Might.....might take a small hit on raw power.....or...maybe not..... ?????
But...in the end....I will have enough optical challenges .... to drive me crazy !!!

Thanx again,
CDBEAM

Hi CDBEAM,

If I would start my project now I would try the new N450 and N465 diodes. There is a chance that they are closer in shape than 44 and 07 and have better original divergence (would also be a chance to test this). Of course if your aim is to make a long distance bright beam, not just a 5m instant burner like my "Tank gun" project.

The reasons I have used NUBM44 and 07E were:

- N465 did not exist 1 year ago.
- Ball lenses of my 07E produce spots 2-4x thicker than G-2 would but it is still fine if I just want to burn at 5-10m.
- Ball lens saves some space and trouble of fixing collimator with teflon tape. But your design is 17cm long and 3-dimentional, not just 12cm and flat like mine. You are not short of space there.
- I also tried 08 instead of 07E. Because even at 80% reflexion from the Dichro the contribution of some binned 08s to the combined beam would be >5W, so more than any 07 would give even at 100% reflexion but... it looks that 08 only reaches 460nm at 4.5A due to WL shift, and the beam is almost not reflected at currents <1A, so it was very difficult to adjust beams overlapping at low brightness and without burning fingers...

Last edited:
I think there might be three of us wanting one of these now, the more the better :)