Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

* * * * * The Best Priced 1 Watt+ 520nm Green Laser Diode Offerings on ebay * * * * *

(As of this date: May 9th, 2016) - This China ebay seller/Techhood has a one watt NDG7475 laser diode from a NUM01 listed for 165.00 USD. Robinson of Techhood has always stood behind his sales for me, although they do make mistakes from time to time but have always been more than willing to make it good for me. I've ordered from him at least (edit: now that I think about it more) twenty times, in my experience perhaps a 5% failure rate on getting the order right but I don't know if that is common for most buyers.

Techhood $165: Nichia NDG7475 520nm 1000mW Green Laser Diode Extracted NUM01 Laser Bank | eBay - Is there an inert gas in this laser diode assembly? What happens if you remove the lens, will oxygen then get to the diode dye to reduce the life?

I also trust this Taiwan seller:

uschen_pvle0ilx7 $180-230: Nichia 1W NDG7475T 520nm 1000mW 9mm Green Laser Diode 1 Piece | eBay - He sold four of them to me at $180 each in that quantity, I don't know if he will continue to sell them that low.

DTR at $220 is always a good choice too and you get delivery ASAP from a U.S. based reputable seller:

DTR-LPF $210-220: 1W 1000mW NDG7475 520nm Laser Diode | eBay

DTR also has a great new 30 X 35mm copper holder for 9mm laser diodes: 35 x 30mm Copper 9mm Laser Diode Mount Blank Module | eBay - Order from DTR through his google shop for better prices: https://sites.google.com/site/dtrlpf/home/diodes (Google Shop $210.00 for the NDG7475).

It wasn't too long ago these one watt 520nm laser diodes which can be pushed to more than 1.3 watts were selling for 1000 dollars each, the price is oh so much better now, only thing is their divergence at more than twice that of a common 532nm DPSS laser pointer causes the light to fan out fairly quickly, so fast you can't see a spot on a 5,000 foot high cloud base without first expanding the beam to at least 3X (better 5X or more), but they operate at low temperature where a 532nm green laser pointer won't operate well, if at all, when too far below room temperature. (DPSS: 808nm/IR diode-pumped solid-state frequency-doubled/DPSSFD).

Note: Compared to a multimode NDG7475 laser diode, for a given beam diameter, a lower power 50mw Osram PL520 single mode 520nm laser diode has far less divergence. If you place a high power pointer with a NDG7475 laser diode in it producing 1000mw of output and a single mode 50mw output PL520 laser diode pointer side by side, both using a 6mm diameter lens, and point at a 5000 foot high cloud base the lower power single mode laser pointer will produce a spot on the cloud deck (if a dark night without bright city lights interfering) and there will no visible spot to the naked eye from the NDG7475, even if 20X higher power because the beam turns into a wide fan at that distance.. It's not that the higher powered multimode laser diode doesn't actually have a spot, just that it has fanned out so wide it is difficult to distinguish. That said, I still like a higher power NDG7475 laser pointer far more due to its close-in brilliance of the beam which is very impressive, just that I use a 10X expander on it to reduce its divergence when trying to put a spot on a high cloud.

The high power 520nm multimode laser diodes are really neat, but their divergence really sucks using a standard 6mm wide collimating lens. Because of this, I expand the output of my NDG7475 laser diode to three inches to reduce it's divergence enough to be able to see a spot on a 10,000 foot high cloud deck (with the naked eye). Warning, if in the USA don't do this if within 10 miles of an airport, or point the spot to within that distance of one or see aircraft ANYWHERE on the horizon or overhead. Why? Even if you are not pointing at an aircraft, if someone perceives you were trying to do so, you can land in jail. I don't know what the law is in other countries, so just referencing the USA airport distances. If I lived near a large airport, I wouldn't feel safe to use a laser outside at all, even 25 miles away from a large international airport, or an area where air traffic is commonly present.

ndg7475_1.jpg

Last edited:

SyKo

Re: * * * * * The Best Priced 520nm Green Laser Diode Offerings on ebay * * * * *

Got my first 10mW 520nm diode coming in two days, cant wait to see the excellent color and maybe source some higher power ones.

Re: * * * * * The Best Priced 520nm Green Laser Diode Offerings on ebay * * * * *

Which diode? 10mw has got to be a single mode diode. At that power the beam will be very dim, even in darkness. I'd like to know if you can perceive a dot on the base of a cloud at that power output, and how high. I imagine you didn't order it for such, but curious if you might try sometime for me.

Got my first 10mW 520nm diode coming in two days, cant wait to see the excellent color and maybe source some higher power ones.

Which diode is this at 10mw?

They were even cheaper a while back, 115.00.

Check with ABarnete, he sometimes get's them in at a fantastic price, the 07e's also.

The NDG7475 for 115? What? uh? Wow....

You can buy drivers from DTR or Flaminpyro for the PL520. Depends on if you want to use a single Li-Ion battery requiring a boost driver, or two in series which doesn't, or other batteries such as AA cells etc. Contact either of them through the forum by searching under their ID's and send a PM to them. Maybe someone can recommend one out of hand, but still need to know which type of batteries, or a single battery or more.

Edit: I should add that I've had some PL520 diodes which I could drive with two Li-Ion batteries in series without a constant current driver, but not recommended. Although if the batteries are charged all the way up to 4.2 VDC each, producing 8.4 VDC in series, one of my PL520 diodes would get dim and not produce full output until the batteries drained down to 8.2 V, another one liked 8.4 VDC just fine and would run at that voltage without a driver. Seems the PL520 will just dim if over-driven to 8.4 VDC instead of be destroyed as most laser diodes. The PL520 is a very tough little diode, will produce close to 100mw at 8.4 VDC which is above its rated voltage and output power, but I doubt it is in a clean single mode output if driven that hard. Do so at your own risk, I have gotten away with it with my particular diodes of this manufacture, but can you, and how much voltage drop did I have in my leads? I don't know.

Last edited:
Alaskan mentioned the high visibility of these diodes and sloppy divergence, that is something to be aware of and it's why I strongly recommend the use of lens flare hiders, especially for night time use.

Also other than astronomy club star pointing with a 5 mw I recommend staying out of the sky.

Look at this 2.5w ndb7875, see how the flare drowns out even the beam?

To an onlooker 100 yards away @ a 45 degree angle it's the difference between nothing and a bright blue glare, as side beams disappear quickly.

Don't do anything wrong, but also don't alarm people unnecessarily, or they may erroneously think you are targeting them, hide your lens flare for others comfort and for your safety.

51378d1462828077-best-priced-1-watt-520nm-green-laser-diode-offerings-ebay-sany0891.jpg

51379d1462828077-best-priced-1-watt-520nm-green-laser-diode-offerings-ebay-sany0892.jpg

My cheap camera turns down it's gain because of the intensity of the flare, notice how the flashlight's handle disappears.
This is the same laser seconds apart, the lens is a basic 3 element.
The hiders are just rolled up card stock, thick construction paper with a smooth finish from Walmart stationary isle, for printing business cards on, #60 pound.

Attachments

• SANY0891.JPG
    SANY0891.JPG
    164.2 KB · Views: 770
  • SANY0892.JPG
    SANY0892.JPG
    166 KB · Views: 645
Last edited:
Hi Alaskan ,
Great find thats the price of a NDG700 , And thats 3to 400mW's more than the 7475..

Rich:)

Wow that's cheap for the 1W 520nm diode. I paid $600.00 just 20 months ago for mine. I sure hope 488nm does the same in the future although some say its unlikely due to no reason to be mass produced like the 7475's. I see they can be had for a grand currently. I would pull the trigger if they drop below $800. Cyan must be a beautiful wl. The only pointer I have seen in that wl is the one Styropyro built into a pen.

SyKo

Which diode? 10mw has got to be a single mode diode. At that power the beam will be very dim, even in darkness. I'd like to know if you can perceive a dot on the base of a cloud at that power output, and how high. I imagine you didn't order it for such, but curious if you might try sometime for me.

If i can recall its a PLT5-510 and your quite right, i just wanted to have my first 520nm and see the color more than i was concerned with pointing in the sky and seeing the beam, although theres nothing a bit of fog cant fix, ill be sure to post some pictures when i get it running.