Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donations

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

The amazing M-140 445nm diode?

DTR

Ok so I have received a ton PM's on these this morning. So I am going to post this here.

As far as we know these are the same exact type of diode the A140 projector has but possibly a higher bin than we have seen before.

As with the A140 projectors there are variations from diode to diode but on average they were 10-15% better than the A130's and we are starting THINK that the M140 diodes on average are showing another increase over the A140's.

I won't go out there and say that every M140 diode will get you to 2W because there is not enough data to say either way. Only time will tell.

There is also a question that these may be the new 1.7W 445 diode but that is a big question. I will say that one thing I have noticed is that the lines in the raw output are less definable as the bar output seems more solid than the A140's. I will post some pictures of what I mean later.

I think he's saying that if he bumps the current up over 2A he will hit 2.6W easily?

I am certainly not saying these can be driven with any currents higher than what is recommended currently on the A140 diodes. I am not responsible if you kill your diode trying to put 2A+ in it.

Last edited:

And I guess I'll be the one pushing the current window to see if they can be driven higher then, just as soon as I get in a check I'm waiting on.

Ok so I have received a ton PM's on these this morning. So I am going to post this here.

As far as we know these are the same exact type of diode the A140 projector has but possibly a higher bin than we have seen before.

As with the A140 projectors there are variations from diode to diode but on average they were 10-15% better than the A130's and we are starting THINK that the M140 diodes on average are showing another increase over the A140's.

I won't go out there and say that every M140 diode will get you to 2W because there is not enough data to say either way. Only time will tell.

There is also a question that these may be the new 1.7W 445 diode but that is a big question. I will say that one thing I have noticed is that the lines in the raw output are less definable as the bar output seems more solid than the A140's. I will post some pictures of what I mean later.

I am certainly not saying these can be driven with any currents higher than what is recommended currently on the A140 diodes. I am not responsible if you kill your diode trying to put 2A+ in it.

Yes.!!! Especial the higher currant you give.:wave:

Hey mark in Dallas... I take it that you are in fact in the DFW area? If so would you mind metering a laser for me??? Also I am wanting to pick up a LPM and would like your opinion on that....

Last edited:

DTR

Yes.!!! Especial the higher currant you give.:wave:

I guess you have noticed that too.;)

Here is the raw output.
p1018363.jpg

Hey mark in Dallas... I take it that you are in fact in the DFW area? If so would you mind metering a laser for me??? Also I am wanting to pick up a LPM and would like your opinion on that....

No problem! Im in North Dallas, near Frankford Rd and the North Dallas Tollway. If you're not to far away you are welcome to swing by.

I have a LaserBee, as well as a Kenometer, but won't have the Ophir Head that goes with the Kenom back until around Wednesday.

I work from home too, so I'm around most of the time, just let me know what works for you!

I'm in Garland off George Bush and I am expecting my new Laserbee any day now so if I can help let me know.

Last edited:
i have an m140 with the following readings: 700mA -> 772mW output @ 5.34V Flaminpyro took he readings :)

I am really happy with it :p

greetings,,

I have this diode and was getting some awesome numbers at 1.8A with a G-1 lens.
GEDC2027.jpg

I had spikes over 2.3W :eg:

Unfortunately this laser has moved on to the great beyond. It started to make weird whining noises and would flicker. When unfocused you could see the outer bars in the output were cutting in and out. I thought I had a driver problem so I went from 2 flex to a new flex @ 1A but the problem persists. So I went from a 2.3W beast to a dismal flickering 400mw :cryyy:

That said I will be buying a new diode next month to start over again

benmwv

I wasn't suggesting that anybody should run their diode over 2A. I was just speculating as to what Jimdt7 meant by his post.

And just in case anybody wants to know, I think I grabbed one of dtr's first few m140's and I managed to kill it... It should have been running at 1.2A but it seems there may have been a current spike because the little wires inside the can melted. I can post a pic if you want.

DTR

I wasn't suggesting that anybody should run their diode over 2A. I was just speculating as to what Jimdt7 meant by his post.

And just in case anybody wants to know, I think I grabbed one of dtr's first few m140's and I managed to kill it... It should have been running at 1.2A but it seems there may have been a current spike because the little wires inside the can melted. I can post a pic if you want.

Man that sucks. Sorry to hear about your diode.:cryyy:

I was just putting that in there as a disclaimer.;)

Ahh, damn, my 2.366 watt 445 handheld no longer seems to hold the record here. Honestly, I didn't expect it to last as long as it did.

Great thread, and I appreciate the findings on the newer diodes.

Gonna go for my first high-output build with this diode, I think.
How many do you have in stock? Just wondering whether to stockpile now for experiments, or wait a bit...