Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

The amazing M-140 445nm diode?

Omg >.< and i had just finished a blue build with an a-140. Lol oh well.

A-140 Diodes are still good. Not to mention NOT all M-140 are Very Efficient.

You could very well have a very efficient A-140.

Last edited:
That is true good sir. :eek:
Time with experimentation will tell us the exact differences in the M-140's. Happened the same when the 130's were at the top.

Just wanted to post my experience with these new diodes...every one so far out of all three I recently bought has a better than 1mW/1mA efficiency.

I recently put this one together and set the current rather low from what I usually do and I couldn't believe the output!
http://laserpointerforums.com/f65/super-efficient-445-diode-dtr-69718.html

Anyways, I recently went in on half an M140 and will be getting the jewels soon. I plan to test every one and also track where it came from on the block. I will be receiving the brick with half the diodes left in it so I can't tell about the other half but it should be decent data anyways.

So, if these were the new 1.7w diodes what would be the recommended current to achieve the 1.7w..does anybody have access to this info? Is there any info available on the web about these new 1.7w diodes mentioned above?

I just hope the stock of these new diodes stays around. I had to sell off most of my laser collection so I could pay bills :-( So next year I am going to build a new 445 once my tax return comes in...

Has anybody made a graph for these listing everyones power outputs or are we still listing them somewhere else. If someone can point me in the right direction I I did power testing on one of the M140's and I'd like to post the graph.

hmmmmm maybe we could start it in this thread or not.

Last edited:
Has anybody made a graph for these listing everyones power outputs or are we still listing them somewhere else. If someone can point me in the right direction I I did power testing on one of the M140's and I'd like to post the graph.

hmmmmm maybe we could start it in this thread or not.

Sounds like a great idea...I should be getting my half brick later this week as well as some diode sockets I ordered. I asked the guy who went in half with me on the brick if he would be willing to do what I intend to do so we can get the data for the full brick. Waiting on a reply. I was planning to post a thread on my findings but if someone else starts a thread I wil post them there.

Sounds like a great idea...I should be getting my half brick later this week as well as some diode sockets I ordered. I asked the guy who went in half with me on the brick if he would be willing to do what I intend to do so we can get the data for the full brick. Waiting on a reply. I was planning to post a thread on my findings but if someone else starts a thread I wil post them there.

I would like to do the thread myself but honestly I don't trust myself to stay on top of it enough and to make sure I get everyones data posted in a timely fashion.

Last edited:
If a thread hasn't started by the time I get my data compiled I will start one.

I am dipping my toe in slowly on the whole projector thing. If things go as planned with this first half a projector I am going to buy a whole one next and then will definitely check each and every diodes efficiency and plot where it came from on the brick.

Still waiting on my partners reply to see if he is willing to do what I intend to do.

If a thread hasn't started by the time I get my data compiled I will start one.

I am dipping my toe in slowly on the whole projector thing. If things go as planned with this first half a projector I am going to buy a whole one next and then will definitely check each and every diodes efficiency and plot where it came from on the brick.

Still waiting on my partners reply to see if he is willing to do what I intend to do.

Sounds like a good plan. If you check the efficiency of every diode you get and it's location on the brick that would be incredible, I only know of one other person on here who has done that so far and that was for the A130 diodes so we really could use the updated info. Im putting together my graph right after this so I'll post the graph and the rest of the info in a bit.

Here is the data graphed out.

graphwrite.aspx

I was using a mastech bench PSU
3 element AR coated AIXIZ glass lens
Diode in module from DTR
Laser is a lab style laser

Here is the data in text format.
NOTE- As I said I was using an AIXIZ 3 element glass lens, now if I had been using a 405-G-2 lens I would have gotten around a 1mA/1mW output even a little more. The G2 and G1 lenses can provide up to 30% better light transmission so as a conservative estimate you could increase these numbers 20-25% which when you think about it is quite incredible.

mA:mW
200:60
250:119
300:186
350:247
400:308
450:378
500:439
550:500
600:561
650:617
700:671
750:721
800:782
850:838
900:881
950:930
1,000:974
1,050:1,024
1,100:1,060
1,150:1,093
1,200:1,137
1,250:1,165
1,300:1,191
1,350:1,222
1,400:1,252

EDIT- I did some quick math and here it is. The G1/G2 lens can give an extra 30% transmittance but for this I used a more conservative estimate of a 20% increase in transmittance. So with the 3 element lens I got 1,252mW at 1,400mA now if you raise that by 20% you get 1,502mW at 1,400mA which is better than a 1mA/1mW efficiency. I am thinking about purchasing a couple more of these diodes so I can do some more testing and because you can never have too many variable output 445 diodes :D. I have a 635nm diode on the way from DTR and I plan on testing that one as well as graphing it out again.

Last edited:
How much of a fire hazard are these things. Do you have to worry about it lighting clothing and wallpaper with over 1.5W?

How much of a fire hazard are these things. Do you have to worry about it lighting clothing and wallpaper with over 1.5W?

Yes they are definitely a fire hazard. Flashing it past something real quick isn't a problem but if you were to put it down while it was on it would burn . I've accidentally burned a pair of curtains. While it didn't actually catch fire it was smoldering

Last edited:

You either need to be trying to or very, very careless...sorta like a cigarette lighter is a fire hazard. I think the more important question to ask is are they an eye hazard...the answer is definitely yes....I would be much more concerned with eye safety than fire safety.