Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

The amazing M-140 445nm diode?

Garoq

Well i ordered 2 of these with the g2 lens about 2 months ago and I just got the first of the two running tonight. My brand new laserbee II metered it @ 2419mw........:eg:

Sounds about right. 1.8A?

DTR

Well i ordered 2 of these with the g2 lens about 2 months ago and I just got the first of the two running tonight. My brand new laserbee II metered it @ 2419mw........:eg:

Very nice.:beer:

This is some exciting news. I am still waiting to get my half of a new M140 from my partner. He did some tests on his 12 and he was seeing anywhere from 850-1100 approx with 700ma current if i recall correctly.

Will be interesting to see what the next year holds in the newer versions they will undoubtably come out with.

Did you ever get your half of the diodes?

I have ordered an M140 from DTR and my question, is mA the important variable or mW? In other words, as long as I run a safe mA, it doesn't matter what the mW produced turns out to be, correct?

I have a mohgasm driver on the way at 1.8, is that a safe current for this diode in a well heat-sinked build?

Thanks!

Blord

I bought two bare M140 diodes. One did 2Watt at 1.6A and the other only 1.2Watt at the same current.
What I can tell is that the efficient diode runs much cooler than the worse diode. Logically because the power input is the same but the output not. The difference in power is converted in heat. You can't run the in-efficient diode at 1.8A or even at 1.6A. It overheat so fast that you barely can hold the laser.

My 1.62A Moh driver in a C6 with a DTR diode, copper sink, and a G2 lens metered at 1.95W.

Glenn

I bought two bare M140 diodes. One did 2Watt at 1.6A and the other only 1.2Watt at the same current.
What I can tell is that the efficient diode runs much cooler than the worse diode. Logically because the power input is the same but the output not. The difference in power is converted in heat. You can't run the in-efficient diode at 1.8A or even at 1.6A. It overheat so fast that you barely can hold the laser.

So I had better hope that I have an efficient M140 or the 1.8A driver is gonna be sitting on the shelf for a while and I may burn out my diode. Ouch.

What - if I may ask - is the best way to see how far I can go with a diode without frying it? Is there a simple test?

Thanks for the noob help!

Garoq

So I had better hope that I have an efficient M140 or the 1.8A driver is gonna be sitting on the shelf for a while and I may burn out my diode. Ouch.

What - if I may ask - is the best way to see how far I can go with a diode without frying it? Is there a simple test?

Thanks for the noob help!

The chances of frying a 445nm diode at 1.8A are fairly low IMHO (though I have done it :eg:). However if the diode appears to be inefficient at a lower current (say less than 1.5W at 1.5A with a G-1 or G2 lens), you might want to hold off running it any higher.

The new owner of the laser I just sold with one of these m140 diodes is very happy with it. After final test it laid down 2566mw @1.8a and held there for a full 40 second test.

Last edited:
i haven't been on in awhile but i just came across this and ****.... i'm gonna have to upgrade my 1.4W A140 to something with a little more power.