Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Techhood PHR805T deception...

Gadget

Yeah...yeah...should have done some research here first, but it doesn't change the fact that Techhood is passing off a 405nm diode that will only do 58mW as a PHR805T!

I'm trying to build my wife a 405, and was a bit disappointed when I put these diodes (ordered 2) on the test bench and metered them.

Techhood has been contacted through fleebay. We'll see how it goes, but I fully don't expect to see two real phr805t's come out of this dispute, sadly.

Just wanted to put this on record here. Thanks for listening.

Kev

Gadget

I did just that.
Robinson contacted me back this morning, so we'll see how it goes.

-G

phr 805t is that the old xbox ones they vary by diode ive gotten depending on amps
input from 50 to almost 150 of course they are not rated that high but we have pushed them that high

No, no.... not Techhood, I thought they were the only accurate and honest China seller out there, without them for China stuff, I'm lost!

Give Robinson some time to get back- Here helped others w/o any prob- likely a full refund and keep the dissappointing diodes- I will poke him for you.

btw the last 5 405 $3 '5mW' pointers were 60 to 90 mW

jussayin

Gadget

Yeah Hak...I think that's the diodes I got. The last round of pens I got, the 405 does just that, ~50mW.

Robinson is on the case, and my hopes are that he can square this problem away. Time will tell.

-G

Pman

You can buy the sld3234vf for around $5 on Ebay US. I would HIGHLY recommend that you set it no more than 150mA. Bought a couple and accidentally blew one setting it a bit higher to see what i could get. They will push 150mW with a glass lens or 135-140mW with the plastic one. Recently built one into an Altoids tin along with a bunch of 400mW capable red lpc-826 diodes that are much more forgiving. Costs about $20 for some pretty powerful focusable lasers. Probably the best bang for buck i've made so far.
http://laserpointerforums.com/f52/some-altoids-builds-93129.html#post1353731

Gadget

UPDATE:

Got this from Techhood this morning...

techhood sent you a message about your request:
"Hello, Tracking number of the replacement parcel is LK412530085CN. Our engineer gift you one pcs of 405nm driver in the parcel along with the 2 diodes. Please track on accordingly. Any further questions please feel free let us know! Best regards, Robinson"

I'll be updating this again after receipt and testing of the replacement diodes.

(EDIT: After dealing with Robinson of Techhood, I gotta say, he is one of the nicest people I've ever had to deal with overseas. Do not let this snafu with Techhood and these diodes dissuade you from purchasing from them. If there's a problem, contact Robinson before leaving neg feedback on Ebay. He WILL set the problem right. I'm gonna see if I can get him to join and become active here on the forum!)

-G

Last edited:

Gadget

UDPATE:

As of today, this is the status of the replacement package. I know China Post is notoriously slow.
tick tock

2015-03-28 13:10:33 SHENZHEN Arrival at Sorting Center

-G

Last edited:
-- like you said- shoulda researched- if you had asked me-- the 405 line module from aixiz is ideal- just hook up the switch to the power and red/black - bam!

I took the line lens off and its now a nice round dot ~40mW-3.6 vdc li-ion runs it forever. even tho IIRC its listed at 10 mW-- might be correcty if metering a point in the line as opposed to the enire power in one dot.

hak

Gadget

UPDATE:
Parcel arrived yesterday with the 2 diodes and a 405 driver. Haven't had a chance yet to get them on the test bench. I had to figure out the pinout of the driver, there were no stencil markings whatsoever on the board. Wasn't a big problem tho, thanks to all I've learned here on the forum. The driver puts out (edit: milliAMPS not milliWATTS) 300mA at max, ~10mA at min.

I'll update again after I meter these diodes, hopefully later today.

-G

Last edited:
Good to hear Robinson came thru for you

I was wondering about PHR803 and PHR805- diff numbers -diff diode not same output- right?

??

Kev- keep us updated-- Len

flecom

I would advise avoiding techhood at all costs, they will promise to make it right until you can no longer file a paypal dispute... then if you do they want you to ship it back (mind you shipping back to china is insanely expensive - was going to cost me about $100 to ship back a $120 item) so you are screwed either way

buying anything from techhood is a gamble at best

Last edited:

Gadget

Good to hear Robinson came thru for you

I was wondering about PHR803 and PHR805- diff numbers -diff diode not same output- right?
??
Kev- keep us updated-- Len

Yeah, Robinson was a pleasure to deal with.
Hmmm...now that I look around at the 803t, it looks like they are indeed different diodes with different specs.
The 803 does about 80mW@90mA just before the knee, according to Dr. Lava's graph in post #30 here.
The 805 does about 120mW @ 125mA just before the first knee, according to Cyparagon's graph in post #1 here.

Looks like the 805 shows approximately 50% more output than the 803. But I really don't know what the Imax is for either one.

I will add another update when I meter those diodes, hopefully this weekend...I've been freakin' hammered at work!

Kev

Last edited: