Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Talk me out of it

I was just browsing a few laser sites randomly, as you do, when I noticed that the LaserGlow Hercules was about half the price as I thought. Not surprising since I haven't been past that site in probably a year.

At the moment the most powerful greenie I have is an RPL-300 I've had for over a year now, and I bought it second hand (although I did briefly own an RPL-400. Why didn't I keep that one? It's a long story...). It's losing power, mainly averaging at 200-250mW these days, which is impressive when you think how old the laser is, and I've probably put 100 hours use on it easy.

But it just might be time to put this old champ to stud.

Hercules 400 for $2k. Not second hand this time either, but brand new. I take good care of my electronics, it'll last forever. After the Herc 400 the price starts jumping crazy high, so it seems to be the best deal.

Affording it isn't an issue, but it is still an awful lot to spend on something that doesn't serve to feed me. It's either this laser, or a trip to the worlds largest game development conference, GDC (I'm a game developer by trade). Laser will last longer, but the trip could be invaluable. Then again, the conference comes up every year, I have plenty of opportunities to go in 2011 and beyond...

Then there's the customs problem. No issue for you in the US, but this laser is illegal in Australia. Fully FDA compliant means nothing, if it's portable and over 1mW, it's illegal. Sure, that means my entire collection is illegal, but I've never risked this much money in one go.

The Herc does have one trick up its sleeve though. If I remember correctly you can remove the head from the battery compartment. In that position it looks more like a labby (which are legal). So ship it to someone in the US. Separate the head. Package it insanely well, call it a 'electronics part' or something and ship it on its own. Then ship the rest of the package as something else. I'm sure none of you would mind going to all this trouble if it means you get to play around with a Herc for a day :)

Hmm... this might fall down to my ultimate laser philosophy. If you're worried about spending too much money, just make more money.

Talk you out of, what do I look that dumb, you better get it that is one cool laser, I will even help if you need it.

Peace All...

I don't think anyones heres gonna talk you out of it :D

Go for it, i know there will be plenty of trusted members who would be more then willing to help you out.

Well if he would like I'd talk to jayrob about the shipping. Wouldn't be the first time I've done that with him, and the care he puts into his packaging is unrivaled :)

Does anyone know of any LaserGlow Discount Codes? I did a search on the forums and even a google search, but of the half a dozen or so codes I found not one of them worked.

Umm you may even be able to talk to LaserGlow directly as for them separating it and maybe even writing different stuff on the package or even sending them in two separate packages. I have heard Justin is very easy to deal with and I would imagine they would be very helpful on a 2k sell : )
I may be the first person but I am going to talk to you out of it the reason is think of it like this how often are you going to use a real high powered lasers like that? and with that size it's not even really portable your better of going for an rpl for that matter. Even then I own an RPL 450 and it gets used maybe 2x a month now for about 10min
What I would try to sell you is a 1W labbie, just think with this you get more power better stability and the ability to make laser shows : ) now it's true you can do this with the herc but I believe it only has TTL of 2k modulation

Murudai:
Talk you out of it?
No way. You need this laser.

I'm sure LG will have no problem sending the battery compartment and laser head separately.
As for your laser philosophy... similar to mine: "Money grows back."
Sometimes slowly... but hard work can compensate.
Take advantage of the opportunity while you can!
Although... a thought just occurred to me. LG usually has really good holiday deals... maybe you should wait till then.
IIRC Last year they were giving away pointers and Aries lasers with certain Herc purchases...

Also... If I were to get a Herc I would invest in one of their "glow mounts" and a good tripod.

f22:
Maybe he will use it often... I use my PGL every day for at least 10 min. If I had a Herc it would be on 24/7 just so I can admire the beam. I'd probably replace my lamp with it. Hercs have a 100% duty cycle... why not take advantage of it?

Although... a thought just occurred to me. LG usually has really good holiday deals... maybe you should wait till then.
IIRC Last year they were giving away pointers and Aries lasers with certain Herc purchases...

Yeah, while I was looking for Discount codes I noticed that last year there was a code for Christmas for 25%! That's a saving of $500, which is massive for a laser that'll last me forever! So I've decided I'll wait a few months until then and see what deals they'll have.

f22warzone, I put my RPL through its paces. I clock up about 10 hours of use a month, so I give it quite a workout. But this RPL is old, it won't last forever, I'll need to upgrade to a new high powered greenie eventually. I could just get a higher power RPL, but it's still the same, just brighter. The Herc is the logical successor :)

Mo13

What I would give to be able to say "affording it isn't an issue." You a doctor or somethin? Lol.

Does anyone know how to sign up for the LaserGlow newsletter? That's how they send out discount codes, so it would be good to be in touch. Otherwise I guess I just have to email them and ask to be in there.

Might also ask about that shipping thing. They'd need to be VERY discrete about it, and ship it in at least 2 different packages. If it does get confiscated, I shall cry.

I won't talk you out of having the possibility of at least seeing a review from you of that awesome laser.

Now... I can talk you into sending it to Niko after you review it ;)

I can talk you out of it - they are fugly. Other than that, they are AMAZING lasers:crackup:

Mo13

A game developer? I'd love to talk to you about that sometime. I think that's what I'm gonna be when I'm older. Do you use AIM?

So lets say you happen to get your LG laser...

You're RPL would be up for sale... right ? :D:D:D:D:D

I would be happy to take it off your hands (Im an aussie, so it would be a great cause)

mkdive

Get it, and post pictures. That's all I have to say.
toast.gif