Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Studies about animals react on lasers

I have tested my 5mw red laser back in the olden days(1985) on cats and they really like it. Then i had my first 4.7mw green @ 532nm years ago and cats like it to, even if it is brighter then 650nm. Then some years ago i had my first 50mw green, 100mw green and 200mw green. Since i'm a resonable person and i love cats i would personaly advise to not use a laser with more then 5mw @ any frequency @ all because the visual system of a cat is more advanced then what we have,... Also don't drive cats crazy like on the videos on youtube where you can see people making little closed loop circles and the cat chassing it ! It's nicer to play hide and seek or chase the laser with laser hints this is there favorite game,... I also believe that some cats prefer 405nm, 532nm or 650nm etc,... Why ? The answer is simple, because cats are verry aware of colors, suroundings, vibration, motion etc,.... There are even cats that talk in there sleep does it mean they have dreams 2. So i guess that this also counts for the rest of the animal kingdom. I have also chased some birds away in a tree some time ago @ distance of aprox 200 meters with a 50mw green laser pointer so i guess that this is more then enough.

Last edited:
My gator hisses like crazy and moves away from it, with either the green or the blu-ray not red, my tarantulas don't seem to care about it, Also my blu-ray makes my scorpion glow in the dark because they reflect UV light, they use this in order to lure in prey.

Last edited:
My gator hisses like crazy and moves away from it, with either the green or the blu-ray not red, my tarantulas don't seem to care about it, Also my blu-ray makes my scorpion glow in the dark because they reflect UV light, they use this in order to lure in prey.
Whatta collection of pets, jeez :D

You forgot that reaction of an animal with a baseball bat to 405nm...
'Stopped in his tracks' IIRC
:crackup:
:bowdown:

Dogs at my grandma's place chased the 50mW green dot , litteraly mindless and crazy.
They did a ... ~50 meter circle in the backyard in like 3 seconds, both of them.
Didn't have any other laser to try it out at the time.

My friend has a cat which likes lasers.
It runs and chases the 1mW red dot, however, when being shown 50mW green or 200mW red, it stares at the dot, but does not run towards it or chase it. I think it is also glaring too much and it is irritating him.
However... 100mW bluray sometimes makes it run up the walls and all over the place in seconds. Sometimes it only observes the dot.

Couple of times a cat actually tried to punch and byte a beam in mid air, of 50mW greenie.

Hey Photon, garter snake? I had one of those years ago along with a northern red belly racer my brother caught at Letchworth. I didnt have a laser back then so I couldnt conduct any experiments with them. Although, my cats love any color, flashlight, laser etc....they go nuts!

Thanks, It's an obsession of mine.

This last season was the first time we started crossing the albinos with the colors, made some funky babies.

My black cat jack loves all the primary colors, (red, Green and Blu-Ray) and will chase them for ages. He prefers to play 'hide and seek' so he can pounce as well as chasing it up and down.

Cats eyesight are tuned to focus on movement more than color. They see color, but not a vivid as us prehaps . but have many more either cones or rods, I forget. There was a great page telling all the info, Cat vision

This is maybe why they go nuts over the purple/UV color.

My cat also chases a focused maglite.

Si

Garter snakes chase the green & ignore red (the only 2 colors I have right now)

My oscar (fish) & the minnows in my creek - Chase after green or red equally, however the green laser seems to penetrate the water better, so the fish way down deep in the creek go gaga when I take my 30mw rayfoss down to the stream.

my dogs chase the green always, and our female dog will even jump in the air and try to bite the beam in half. they don't seem interested in red.

our cat just sits there looking at me like "yeah right, I ain't chasing that for you" either colour.

Used to have a cat once that chased the red dot, until he chased it into the wall an thumped his head hard.

Then all he had to do was see the pointer in your hand, he would run and hide. He associated the pointer with smacking his head into the wall.

Hey Wayne what about that BR out in your mailbox??? try this--anole(texas chamelion)will chase a green laser like it is after a bug--shoulda had a video camera.---Len

Rafa

My cat, and both dogs show no reaction when I shine my green, violet or red in front of them around them or anywhere for that matter, they're boring :p

My cat is a siamese/Burmese cross, a Dalmatian and a cocker spaniel similar to this one:

7-30_Brown_Cocker_Spaniel.jpg

But better looking :)

LOL It's Dave Mustaine
Dave-Mustaine-signing.jpg

Jumping spiders will go after a 532nM. I was laying on a bench under a shelter at a park and seen a spider and shined next to it. It immediately turned and charged the green dot. They are really bothered by the green dot.

Ive found cockatiels are afraid of a 5mw green, cats chase the hell out of the green dot some times swatting at the beam. The old dog I had when I was younger would stare at me and slowly shift his head so it would go in his eye (I would move it away of course) so I think he was just dumb. Ive also found small children will chase the 5mw green dot and try to catch it. I kinda feel bad treating my friends kids as animals but its still hilarious to watch. Havent had the chance to use a violet laser on any of the animals to see their reactions.

Bulls get pissed with rage from the color RED so wouldn't it be funny to take a 200mw pointer to the rooftops of Pamplona during the bull run and divert bull traffic right into the path of all the spectators?:evil:

I took a greenie to the zoo and shined it on the wall of a gorilla exhibit. The gorilla's back was to me and he was just staring at the wall. As soon as the dot hit the wall, he snapped his head around and looked right at me. I mean we locked eyes like in a movie and freaked me out. The hair on the back of my neck raised up and both of my peanuts went up into my throat. So....apes do see green. Oh and fish scatter in underwater aquariums

Last edited:
My 3 pekingese are all immune to laser play now.
They all know it's just me screwing with them:)
If they see a dot of any color, they just look staight at me. (smart dogs)
Either that, or they are just too lazy:)