Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Streamlight Microstream Pen 450nm

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
@Lifetime - Glad you like it, I'd do another, but if it took me as long to do that one as it did this one, we wouldn't be seeing it till Thanksgiving! :eek:

@Mattronium - I agree, the blasted, black adapter was a last minute idea just to see what it would look like, and also to keep it as short as possible, in keeping with the mini theme. :yh:

@Red - I think so, sometimes, simpler is better.

I love your build threads, your workmanship and your photos Jeff.
Fantastic as usual.
Now, just leave me here for a while, to drool.

RB
:drool:

Very nice work, Jeff. All your photos came out fine as far as I can see. It is just a pleasure to look at your build threads. Always a treat. :yh:

Very cool. Nice work! It looks nice and clean.
I have one of these diodes on the way. I can't wait to try it out. So far all the blues I've built in the 450ish range have been multimode.

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Thanks guys! :yh:

@RB - Drooling is ok, towels are provided, really appreciate your comments. ;)

@Paul - Glad you liked it, thanks for the report on the photos!

@WizardG - Thanks man. :beer:

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Very cool. Nice work! It looks nice and clean.
I have one of these diodes on the way. I can't wait to try it out. So far all the blues I've built in the 450ish range have been multimode.

Thanks RA, I've really come to like these single mode, low/mid power reds and blues, they're perfect for smaller builds, their beam/dot characteristics are nice, and for me anyway, they are the first lasers that I'll grab to play around with, no need to burn the house down just to see some nice beams. ;)

Pman

HA, first build I've looked at in forever and I'm necroposting lol. Looks great. Some of the pics kind of make the black look more like a really dark military type green which I like.
Always like these small builds. Reminds me that I need to check out some of my own pen type builds again as they have not been messed with in a long time.

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Thanks Pete, this was one project that was fun to build, having to mod. everything to get them to fit properly.
PS - You don't have to worry about necroposting any of my threads, I always welcome your input. :D

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Thank you TinLethax, I'm glad you like it! :)

Yes, I did paint the focus adjuster knob; I first bead blasted all the chrome plating off of it for better paint adhesion, then painted it with a matte black finish to match the host.

This is the standard knob before painting.

0l4Wk1X.jpg

Thank you TinLethax, I'm glad you like it! :)

Yes, I did paint the focus adjuster knob; I first bead blasted all the chrome plating off of it for better paint adhesion, then painted it with a matte black finish to match the host.

This is the standard knob before painting.

0l4Wk1X.jpg

Did you turn down the end of that copper module or is that something you found somewhere ?

0l4Wk1X.jpg

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Hey Red,
Yes I did turn the module down to get the fit that I needed in that host. That particular host has a lip on the front, and I used a snap ring to help hold the module in place.
I hated losing any more of the already minimal heatsinking ability, but with the small diameter host, and not wanting the module sticking out of the front, it seemed the best option.

LaserRanger

Now that necroposting has been ruled out, awesome build BTG. I personally like these types of builds. I haven't tried more short hosts after the lumintop tool AAA but I did but a pair of thorfire pen flashlights and one was dead on arrival but I was hoping to sacrifice one for a laser build anyway. It is the thorfire pf04 that uses 2 AAA batteries. Im currently working on that and another cheap flashlight in the same style that I bought on ebay which turned out to be great fince it can have a case negative diode, the space where the laser will sit is anodized

LaserRanger

I'll make a fully documented picture heavy post when I do. I'm a bit resourceful so many builds might not look pretty on the inside hahaha