Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

StoneTek  SLD1239JL Diodes

Minimags are not regulated. Follow the Dorcy tutorial, except for cutting one of the traces, cut ALL the traces. Then buy a Dr. Lava Drive and solder it to the dorcy instead of a resistor.

Re: StoneTek  SLD1239JL Diodes

Hemlock Mike said:
Chido --
Maybe ....... The jury is still out on this glass/plastic configuration.
It has been my experience that I get more with an "opened" plastic lens than a glass. This may be due in part that the plastic seems to get closer to the LD gathering more photons :cool: .. I admit that I've never done measurements to confirm this.

Mike

What do you mean by "opened" plastic lens ? Do you mean removing the little black plastic with a hole behind the lens in the aixiz module ? If so whats your method to remove it without scratching the lens ?

chido

Picture by jayrob:

Plastic%20cut%20away.jpg

daguin said:
Here's how I do it. I screw the lens into an empty module backward until it is flush. Then I use a pointed X-acto knife blade to cut the plastic. I place the point of the blade into the hole at a shallow angle with the sharp side up. Doing it this way protects your hand from a slip and helps prevent me from accidentally scratching the lens.

After the blade is placed in the hole, I push down on the handle of the knife. This forces the blade up through the plastic. I then repeat this about 6-8 times rotating the module between cuts. You now have the back looking like a pie that is ready to be served.

I grasp each "section" individually with some fine pointed pliers and flex the piece up. It usually breaks off fairly cleanly at the junction of the threaded barrel. I'm sure that tweezers would work.

Clean up any rough edges. Unscrew the lens. You are ready to enjoy the full potential of the diode and keep from having the plastic melt and possibly fouling the lens or diode.

Peace,
dave

The only thing you need to be VERY cautious about is that you do not remove too much of the plastic - I have seen some that hte lens came completely apart - that little black "donut" is also there to hold the lens inside the assembly - if you take out too much of it, POP - the lens will fall right out. I have seen some that the entire back end pops right off, leaving you with a useless lens unless you get very lucky with some super glue :p Be careful, don't cut yourself, and don't remove too much of that back donut !

SenKat_Stonetek said:
The only thing you need to be VERY cautious about is that you do not remove too much of the plastic - I have seen some that hte lens came completely apart - that little black "donut" is also there to hold the lens inside the assembly - if you take out too much of it, POP - the lens will fall right out.  I have seen some that the entire back end pops right off, leaving you with a useless lens unless you get very lucky with some super glue :p  Be careful, don't cut yourself, and don't remove too much of that back donut !

I actually pop the black plastic part out on purpose and then the spring holds the lens in place.

Thanks, i'll try this after i order some more modules just in case.

ANOTHER option is the glass lens :) <I happen to have those in stock, too :p >

SenKat_Stonetek said:
ANOTHER option is the glass lens :) <I happen to have those in stock, too :p >
I was thinking of getting my new modules from your shop cause i'd need some more diodes too :p so i may take a peek at glass lenses too (not righht now tho, quite short on money :()

thejunkmonger said:
I actually pop the black plastic part out on purpose and then the spring holds the lens in place.

+1 ;)

pocketfluff said:
[quote author=thejunkmonger link=1206910274/36#37 date=1212250132]I actually pop the black plastic part out on purpose and then the spring holds the lens in place.

+1   ;)[/quote]

Not my Idea it's what Igor does.

C

carulli

These diodes sound great!!! what is the recomended driving current and do they need a heat sink?

chido

Well, Mike did the testing for 14 hours at 400mA, so I recommend you don't go over 350mA just to be safe, and you definitely need a heatsink if you plan on driving it above 200mA.

Benm

These things need heatsinking at any current really, but at the lowest of currents (150 mA or so) just the aixiz module can suffice.

If you plan on something portable in a flashlight host, just make sure there is decent thermal contact between diode and flashlight housing.

Carulli ---

I thought I posted enough info on drive current in my first post here. I also posted a graph.

Mike

C

carulli

thanks everyone.

I wasnt sure if it was safe to drive them at the current mike were driving them at, I dont want to kill any more diodes.