Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Spyder S3 Arctic - Broken wiring :(

As with everything, you should always do your homework. I'm pretty sure this is the only forum that has allowed WL bashing to this extent. So I can see it could be hard to find any negatives out there.

If you really like the laser, get it fixed. THEN LEAVE IT TOGETHER. :na:

If you really like the laser, get it fixed. THEN LEAVE IT TOGETHER.
Aye, worry no more. :( I know there's nothing left I can do, and I've already transcended into the pit of despair (even with potential option of repair; inexperienced me tells me it won't be as bright, maybe not the same chassis, perhaps not even enough money on my next paycheck to hammer away some more $$$ [thinks of $500 Zen MP3 player], ...).

I really appreciate the replies, advices, encouragements/discouragements in this thread. I think all of you are really helpful, thank you.

Dude, you project negativity. No wonder why your luck is crap. With that attitude failure will always be at your door. And dont give me the crap "Its always like this". The only reason its always like that is you project failure before you even get there. How can you succeed with that attitude? You cant.

All you need is a new diode, and someone to install it for you. It will be like new. So stop crying, dig up some cash, and take care of business.

All you need is a new diode, and someone to install it for you. It will be like new. So stop crying, dig up some cash, and take care of business.
Yeah, well anyway, how would someone go about replacing the diode in this thing? It looks like the entire housing is one solid hunk of metal.. but let me guess: this is incorrect. (Ugh, of all the pictures I made, I never took any of the other side of the housing, and already reassembled it back into one piece.)

EDIT:

Aha, I didn't notice the outer ring that begs for a flat-head (don't worry, not doing anything at all -- just speculating). I assume that you would screw this out and the diode would come with it? Or just the lens?

Last edited:
Dude, you project negativity. No wonder why your luck is crap. With that attitude failure will always be at your door. And dont give me the crap "Its always like this". The only reason its always like that is you project failure before you even get there. How can you succeed with that attitude? You cant.

'we can rebuild him ......we can make him stronger'
-doctors who made the bionic man

That diode is pressed in. You'll need that special diode removal tool that has those little hooks that goes behind the diode and then you could pull it out.

If the diode is fried then you could scrap away the glue and remove the lens and tap it out from the front.

I would suggest to solder blob the tips of that diode and remove that red plastic harness to give you more room for some alligator clips to diagnose if the diode is dead for real.

If you can get small enough clips you can do this, but be careful not to contact
anything you don't want to... you will have to have the proper pin orientation and a third clip to the case on the host and the module... make sure the batt. charged and the neutral pin is engaged.

All is not lost at the most 60.00 US can get that going again. Never take apart a OEM
laser unless you can handle the loss emotionally. I will say that other than the open
aggravation you expressed in this thread a year from now, if you continue on this path you'll be telling us how to repair lasers. Hang in there. jander6442

Morgan

If it makes you feel any better, the diode may not be toast. They will take 5V at 900mA in reverse polarity and still be fine. As long as there are pins left to solder to and they haven't become detached from the internals then you could be okay and that'll save you some bucks.

Don't despair just yet, a repair may be cheaper than you think.

M
:)

(P.S. Next time you're posting photos, can you make the size 800 x 600 please. Scrolling sideways to read all the text doesn't make for an enjoyable thread. Thanks.)

Last edited:

ZapU

Daguin is repairing my laser; I don't want to sell my laser if I don't have to. :)

After he fixes it, check out both links in my sig for more info on your laser. Your problem was covered in the review, unfortunately too late for you. :yabbem:

daguin

Did You solve the problem I have same problem..!!
Thanks..!!

The driver on two of the G2 units that I have rebuilt gave a huge current spike at start-up. If that is what caused your diode to blow, replacing the diode is simply putting off the next failure for a time (maybe short maybe long)

It may nor even be the diode. I have rebuilt a couple in which it was the driver that failed.

If you want me to look at it, send me a PM. Evaluation is free. You just pay the shipping.

Peace,
dave