Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

spider zapper

leemp5

I hate spiders...i really hate them...there is one in the corner of the bedroom on the ceiling as i type. I can just imagine its 8 eyes looking at me...its fangs dripping thinking how tastey my face is going to be when i fall asleep. I wish i could pull out a super laser spider death ray and zap it.

Just out of curiosity...is there a certain laser power/wavelength that can zap spiders and other bugs whilst still being ok to use indoors without goggles?

Gabe

Not really, you're gonna have to get somewhat up close to hold contact on him/her. This means either it's gotta be a 5mW or lower laser, which won't burn anything, or you're gonna need a high powered laser. I'll admit it, I have burned a spider before, one that was crawling on my wall near my bed. So, shamefully, I pulled out my 300mW red laser and zapped away. I didn't stop until he stopped moving, and it left a nasty odour of burnt hair. It was definitely not to be attempted without goggles.
Would not recommend/10, just either smush him with some toilet paper or, if you're a humanitarian, capture him up and chuck em outside.

I have zero shame. I kill spiders with my 3+ watt 445nm laser any time they make their way into my apartment. I have a special hatred for spiders. I have had several pet snakes, but spiders are pretty much the devil to me. I don't go out of my way to kill them, but if they are somewhere I feel they shouldn't be, they're going to spidey heaven. Lol. I actually killed a big brown widow(pictured below), who had taken up residence under my stairs, and her egg sac just the other day. I am still a little uneasy knowing that there is a male brown widow crawling around somewhere. It depends what's behind the spider as to whether or not you will have collateral damage. If they're on a web, as this one was, you can defocus the laser so the focal point is only a foot or so out from the laser. That makes the beam behind that point get larger and less concentrated very quickly. That being said, if you do zap any spiders, definitely wear appropriate safety glasses, and know what is behind it.

[URL=http://s356.photobucket.com/user/TaterMay22/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20150725_212006_01_zpsp1ffxb7r.jpeg.html][/URL]

Last edited:
Do you own or rent? The reason I ask is that if you want a laser powerful enough, it will sometimes leave a burn mark where you killed the spider. This was my goal when I built my first laser, a 1.5W M140 445nm, it works but not good enough, so I built one that's about 3W and it works much better, it still doesn't always kill them instantly. This laser also instantly smokes or burns anything I point it at even if it's white. I am tempted to try something 4W+, I know that would work good but it would too easily burn stuff.

Alan

Sorry leemp5 but you can't have both. To kill a spider it needs to be a class IV laser and you sure do need to wear safety goggles when using it indoors.

I have zero shame. I kill spiders with my 3+ watt 445nm laser any time they make their way into my apartment. I have a special hatred for spiders. I have had several pet snakes, but spiders are pretty much the devil to me. I don't go out of my way to kill them, but if they are somewhere I feel they shouldn't be, they're going to spidey heaven. Lol. I actually killed a big brown widow(pictured below), who had taken up residence under my stairs, and her egg sac just the other day. I am still a little uneasy knowing that there is a male brown widow crawling around somewhere. It depends what's behind the spider as to whether or not you will have collateral damage. If they're on a web, as this one was, you can defocus the laser so the focal point is only a foot or so out from the laser. That makes the beam behind that point get larger and less concentrated very quickly. That being said, if you do zap any spiders, definitely wear appropriate safety glasses, and know what is behind it.

[URL=http://s356.photobucket.com/user/TaterMay22/media/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20150725_212006_01_zpsp1ffxb7r.jpeg.html][/URL]
Don't worry about the male if she already has eggs. It was eaten by her after mateing

Most people are afraid of spiders to some degree I think.
Regarding that fear I think that this video is interesting: The part with spiders is at about 8 minutes in. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zo62S0ulqhA (Thanks for an excuse to share it :D)

Practically speaking, it may be easier to just kill any spiders, like Gabe said, with towel, fly swatter etc. or maybe even a vacuum cleaner.

And just to repeat what the others are saying, if the laser is strong enough to kill the spider then it is strong enough to hurt you. So, yes, safety goggles are needed.

Last edited:
And then you have weirdos like me that pick them up off the ground and play with them lol.

PijWkHAl.jpg

(Purseweb spider)

Gabe

Damn women.

You seriously need some counselling.

Alan

Damn, can't rep you again yet. Gave me a good lel.

And I should say that while towels and such are more convenient, lasers are quite fun if you're that type of person, yknow :eg:

Damn, can't rep you again yet. Gave me a good lel.

And I should say that while towels and such are more convenient, lasers are quite fun if you're that type of person, yknow :eg:

I am that type of person when it comes to spiders. I had a girl message me recently asking if I could sell her a laser to rid her backyard of scorpions. She was from Arizona, and she said they had this one spot that they would pile up or something, but it was just a bit too high to smash them. It was a very fun conversation. Lol. I'll post it if I can find it.

Edit: Found messages from "Forrest1hotnurse"

(Message 1)
Yes, my intentions are
evil, I live in Chandler AZ at the edge of the desert and my back yard is
infested with scorpions. I chase them with a black light flashlight and
kill them with a soldering blowtorch. Very effective but scary because you
have to get so close to them. Also, my house backs up to a freeway and ADOT
built me a 15' high noise abatement wall and many of the critters hang out
near the top out of my reach. Will this laser burn them alive as
effectively as my blow torch? I'm seeking instant incineration not just
hurting them into going away or popping a couple of balloons as I see all
over the internet. If it's capable of killing on contact, it would be a
good investment. I might even change careers and become an exterminator

(Message 2, after I mentioned that I had killed some spiders with my laser)
They can hustle a bit when provoked but they can't out
run my torch. D o your spiders die instantly or do you have to chase them
into the cracks and keep the heat on them for several seconds? Now, I'd be
happy enough just to hurt them so badly that they crawl back over the wall
and tell all their little scorpion buddies, "guys, don't go over the wall!
that home owner's a mother fucker!! " B ut seriously, I want to vaporize
them! N ot just hurt them into hiding. Flies, roaches, scorpions, what good
are they?

Last edited:

Gabe

I am that type of person when it comes to spiders. I had a girl message me recently asking if I could sell her a laser to rid her backyard of scorpions. She was from Arizona, and she said they had this one spot that they would pile up or something, but it was just a bit too high to smash them. It was a very fun conversation. Lol. I'll post it if I can find it.

Man, that makes me feel lucky to live somewhere cold enough to kill off the really bad critters. The worst I have to experience are little house spiders less than a centimetre in size most of the time. Well that, and wasps. *shivers* wasps are pretty frequent around here at this time of year, and quite the nuisance they become. Just this week an old hive under our back door steps reformed, it was the one that gave me my first sting, and just recently gave my mother her first as well. Right on the a$$, apparently hurt like a sunuva. In fact, it stung right in the middle of a flower tattoo she has, silly wasp. You're not a bee.
Anyways I have less remorse for wasps. Soon I'm gonna dump a can of Raid and two bags of sand down there while they're sleeping. No regrets.