Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Spark Fun $100.00 free order!

But wait - there's more!
spfreeday.jpg

mfo

I told myself last nite I would not be pissed off If I did not get in--but that deal was so FUBARed I doubt I will ever want to shop there.---BOYCOTT--

QFT. How the hell do you hold an event and then let your servers crash and burn like that...I mean I know some people got the orders in but I still feel ripped.

You do realize that their servers were getting over 50 million requests per second? This thing was advertised across the globe - hell at one point there was over 2600 people in the sparkfun IRC channel.

You guys are a bunch of whiners

You do realize that their servers were getting over 50 million requests per second? This thing was advertised across the globe - hell at one point there was over 2600 people in the sparkfun IRC channel.

You guys are a bunch of whiners

Maybe we are. But because of Sparkshit I lost 2 days of my life, as well as Eudaimonium and a 1000000000 more people worldwide one for deciding which shitems to place in the shiticart and one for preparing myself for the f** event.At least they could abandon the dial up hosting and rent a 100 mbit server for 2 hours? LOL

lol

MM-wow - a lottery ticket gives better odds of winning $100, I imagine---thanks for the info- may save SF from some nasty emails--IMO that they don't deserve. -- sorry I will edit-boycott post

It just frustrates me when I see people hating a company for trying to do something fun, and give back to the community that supports them

Silver@- I was not happy either and tried like many to my chances to be good as possible to get an order. But its to me, now that Ive calmed down(sleep dep.?)-Im saying-- imagine this: a BIG store with many doors and ten shousand people waiting to go in to buy 100 items- same sorta thing IMO== btw glad I was not the only one who slept very little last nite. congrats to the lucky few--thers always next year.LOL-peace hakzaw

Silver@- I was not happy either and tried like many to my chances to be good as possible to get an order. But its to me, now that Ive calmed down(sleep dep.?)-Im saying-- imagine this: a BIG store with many doors and ten shousand people waiting to go in to buy 100 items- same sorta thing IMO== btw glad I was not the only one who slept very little last nite. congrats to the lucky few--thers always next year.LOL-peace hakzaw

I am calmed down too man. I just didn't expect that much waiting. I still wonder how those 1000 ppl got their orders.. It could not be just refreshing all the time. I tried that for 2 hours..

i didnt get shit im pissed too. i emailed them and told them id buy from some one else before them. it's bs because they should have tested thier servers before and not misleading the community

i didnt get shit im pissed too. i emailed them and told them id buy from some one else before them. it's bs because they should have tested thier servers before and not misleading the community

"misleading the community"?

Their servers were online the entire time during the event, they gave away all $100,000 - how did they mislead the community?

You just weren't lucky enough to get a connection long enough to submit an order. They had a cluster of servers to handle the extra traffic but it was no match to the massive stream of data. Sparkfun hit the #1 search on Google, the IRC channel was flooded with so many people they had to mute the entire channel.

You guys do not realize the sheer volume of data they subjected themselves to. They effectively DDOSed themselves with their free day promotion.

"they didn't give me free stuff so i hate them now" is basically what you're saying

ive spent a bit of money with them. what pissed me off i dont care much about 100 but the time i spent camping the browser and no luck. that pissed me off.
end of story

Are you hearing the words coming from Mario's keyboard???? I think if you read what FS said in advance about the event you will see that they said that this would happen - quote:: Free Day will possibly create a maelstrom of site traffic, the likes of which our servers have not seen. and this: quote:We'll do everything in our power to keep the site up but please understand that the site may go down." so what did you all(and me too) expect??? we need to catch up on sleep and get over it. HAK

What a bunch of whiners.... check out Post # 43...:eek:
I've been doing other stuff all day....:cool:

Jerry
(5100-232-22074)

Last edited:
Actually, I'm kind of more pissed at myself for not accounting for all that traffic in my side-bet guess. I guessed it would be over around 9:45 or so, but it was way later from the traffic.

Congrats to those 1000 people who made it. I would have liked to have seen at least one person from LPF get it.

Wow, looks like I saved myself time by ignoring this offer. But kudos to sparkfun anyways.