Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Single Mode Blue Pen Laser Build! Osram PL450B in Leadlight Host **Video Added!!*

I see Bloompyle uses the same method I do for building pens, so thank you for explaining your method! What driver do you use for your 638nm pen builds? I still haven't gotten a host/driver combo for my Opnext 120mW.

I saw Carbondale and thought you lived in Colorado for a split second. We have a Carbondale here too.

The beams in your vids always look so good. you use fog though right? in this particular one, to me it looks to be the same color as either of my 445nm. In person, is there a noticeable color difference?

I'm considering having Blord make me some osram builds, 450 and 520, and had been before I saw this, funny. Bigger hosts though. I know there's builders in the U.S., but Blord has my loyalty already, nothing against the others. I asked him about the 638nm single modes too. a set of three including all these would indeed be sweet

Yeah I use fog. The main key to making lasers look good with fog is to use as little fog as possible. It does not take much fog to make a laser beam look really good. I try to make it so that it is hard to tell that there is any fog in the room.

The other trick is to make it homogenous. You can use a fan or look like an idiot and wave a book all around the room like I do. :D The well mixed fog gives it the "lightsaber" appearance without the broken beam like you see in most videos.

There is a noticeable color difference between the single modes and the multimodes. The single mode is what I would call "true blue", whereas the 445nm just doesn't quite cut it.

In my RGB I will be using a mohgasm linear at 250mA. I was thinking a flexdrive would work, or an X-boost mini, as long as you use 2x AAA or a 10440 and a spacer.

I'm doing the following

Black pen - 638
Silver pen - 450
Gold pen - 520

Last edited:

key50

In my RGB I will be using a mohgasm linear at 250mA. I was thinking a flexdrive would work, or an X-boost mini, as long as you use 2x AAA or a 10440 and a spacer.

I'm doing the following

Black pen - 638
Silver pen - 450
Gold pen - 520

What about using gorilla glue? As far as I know it doesn't have any fumes.

I wouldn't use a glue, but honestly, the wire is all you need.

Last edited:

key50

I have finished building my laser, but for some reason it starts to flash after about 10-20 seconds or so. Could it be because of a bad component? detached wire? or not enough power?

IsaacT

What current/diode/battery are you using. Might be low voltage?

I agree, what diode to driver are you using? I'm thinking it's a poor heatsinking issue. Low voltage generally results in either a fading in output, or (only seen this with the 1.4W PLT450B) it will blink on for a split second, then go out.

What are your stats here?

key50

I have a PL450B, with a microboost running on 2 AAA batteries, I had selected 200mA when buying the diode from DTR

IsaacT

Maybe there is some sort of short heating up the driver? Have you tried using a single 10440 liion amd a spacer? Also did you test it before building?

key50

Actually I figured out what it was. The button that was on the driver was pushed back a bit, so it wasn't sitting directly under the button, so when I would press it it would be at an angle and be in a mode where it looped on and off. But where may I find a 10440 liion battery and spacer? I might just buy that instead of using these cheap AAA

Is that laser head 12X45 mm?

I could not find those same parts on eBay. How did you get them?

I could not find those same parts on eBay. How did you get them?

Last edited by a moderator:
you say always protect your seeing balls but never tell what seeing ball protection glasses are best.

Gabe

you say always protect your seeing balls but never tell what seeing ball protection glasses are best.
It is usually said that Eagle Pair safety glasses are the best, if you want some (you should :p) they are offered by Survival Laser, right here.

Last edited:
would a cheap pair off ebay be good enough for a short time of use or would i have to buy an expensive pair of glasses. thanks

Gabe

Not sure by what you mean by a 'short time'. I suppose they could, but definitely not for higher powered lasers. What are you planning to use them with, if you don't mind me asking?