Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

silliness with a 40 mw Evo Pro

it's been 8 months, and it's just like day one

Unless you own a laser power meter, and have tested the laser the day you got it, a few different times, then tested it again this week, or even today, then you cannot be sure it hasnt lost power or stability. Besides, even if it is still performing top notch, the rayfoss lasers and all the other cheap china's are known for their poor divergence, which IMO is just as important as power output, and stability.
Besides, maybee you just got lucky and got a nice, overspec laser, its happened before, but doesnt mean everyone from them will be good, read the two threads here about the 200mW rayfoss greenies breaking or being underspec.

it's been 8 months, and it's just like day one

I guess it just cannot be explained to you. Your 200mW rayfoss' beam is nowhere near the quality of a CNI or wicked. Especially if you have that focusing green. I would be willing to bet that a 125mW CNI or wicked looks brighter than a 200mW rayfoss, just because of the beam size alone. Not to mention there are no IR filters on pretty much all of the rayfoss lasers which means the green power could be anywhere. Divergence is crap, I bet you couldn't put a reasonable sized dot on a cloud or a building 200 yards away for that matter. They just can not be compared, like it was said earlier you could buy a Ferrari or you could drop 100k into a Honda civic. The civic might keep up with the Ferrari, but you will look like a douche the whole time you drive it :D

Until you have seen both in person, you will not understand. I have a 5 year old CNI 125mW and it still preforms as it did on day 1. I have parts from around 4-5 cheap china lasers around because they crapped out or the beam quality pissed me off so much that I disassembled them. Once you have had that laser for some serious time (1.5-3 years) we'll talk.

I guess it just cannot be explained to you. Your 200mW rayfoss' beam is nowhere near the quality of a CNI or wicked. Especially if you have that focusing green. I would be willing to bet that a 125mW CNI or wicked looks brighter than a 200mW rayfoss, just because of the beam size alone. Not to mention there are no IR filters on pretty much all of the rayfoss lasers which means the green power could be anywhere. Divergence is crap, I bet you couldn't put a reasonable sized dot on a cloud or a building 200 yards away for that matter. They just can not be compared, like it was said earlier you could buy a Ferrari or you could drop 100k into a Honda civic. The civic might keep up with the Ferrari, but you will look like a douche the whole time you drive it :D
Until you have seen both in person, you will not understand. I have a 5 year old CNI 125mW and it still preforms as it did on day 1. I have parts from around 4-5 cheap china lasers around because they crapped out or the beam quality pissed me off so much that I disassembled them. Once you have had that laser for some serious time (1.5-3 years) we'll talk.

:D:D:D
Well put! I forgot about IR filters, so the rayfoss laser is probably only outputting 100-150mW of 532nm, the rest is IR.
And the CNI lasers always remain dependable, and some of them, like my blue actually get better the more you use it:D And not to mention the overspecness of them, my 125mW rated CNI pen(viper from DL) has peaked over 180mW and gives me a continuos of 150+mW in a PEN!!! Plus the BEST divergence I have ever seen in person;)
And thats just green, lets see how the rayfoss 473nm and 589nm lasers are doing, oh wait....

Don't forget the 593.5s out there too. Only one way to describe this color.
Bad. Friggen. Arse. :D

Though I havent seen 593.5 in person yet, I belive I like 589nm better, as it is more of a golden color, and 594 is more of an orange fire color.
And to prove our point, I have found 3 different rayfoss fails just browsing the forum:
http://laserpointerforums.com/f38/new-rayfoss-laser-broken-shipment-50223.html
http://laserpointerforums.com/f45/my-rayfoss-200mw-torch-cant-burn-match-normal-49363.html
http://laserpointerforums.com/f45/my-new-rayfoss-200mw-green-laser-broken-50136.html

That one with the laser that worked twice was heartbreaking.He started the thread on the 21st and now it is the 28th and no vendor response to e-mails?
Epic customer service fail in progress.
There might be some reasonable explanation, like a bad lot and everyone is calling for replacement/refund.But No response for that length of time?
That is bad.

I hope he gets a good laser or a refund.And if they make him wait another week...he should get both!
Just my opinion, and I can understand the posters impatience, all excited to get a new toy...then fail.Been there, done that, and it is unpleasant.

Here is a customer service tip:If they reply at the same speed when answering questions and helping with troubles as they do taking the order , they are probably reputable.Companies that ignore you after you run into problems should be avoided.Like the plague.

I totally agree. You wont have that problem CNI, whether from the group buy, directly from them, or even from DL or LG.
These companies selling these cheapos are just out to make a quick buck, nothing more, once they have your money, then thats the end of it. Though rayfoss does have a good rep around here, they are probably running into more technical problems. Ive heard they at least try.

Yes it is good that they atleast try. I was the one with the broken laser in shipment. I got a reply a couple of days later to send it back and they would either refund or replace depending on if it looked like i tried to modify fix etc it or not( i didnt).

More silliness.I put fresh batteries in the Evo Pro and cut electrical tape.In the interest of full disclosure, I applied stretch to the tape.It took 10 seconds.
The only matches I have tried are old strike anywhere matches.I will try to get some red head paper matches and see if I can light them.If I succeed, I will probably fall over laughing.
Seriously, I thought all burning tricks were out of range of a 40mw laser.Apparently the very small beam is the ticket.My minute of eyeball impression is that my Evo has half the beam diameter of my Casix GLP-5mw pointer.Half, and the Casix is a nice 5mw rig...even if it inhales expensive lithiums in minutes.Dot size at 1 to 3 feet is no comparison, the Evo is tight.
In retrospect, it is one of the things that so impressed me with the core I bought for a friend...it had such an epic tight beam, with concomitant higher apparent brightness at the same power.With good divergence too.
I will review the Casix pointer soon as a "blast from the past" review.5mw set me back over 650 bucks back in the 90's.It still works great btw.

Yes, it has good divergence, just like my viper:D The smaller the dot the faster and better it burns, because all the power of the laser is in one tiny dot, even 20mW will burn if you can get the dot small enough. Focusables are good in that reason, but to have a fixed focus laser, with such nice divergence is a very neat thing. A solid green needle thin beam shooting into the sky, now thats a sight!

Yes, it has good divergence, just like my viper:D The smaller the dot the faster and better it burns, because all the power of the laser is in one tiny dot, even 20mW will burn if you can get the dot small enough. Focusables are good in that reason, but to have a fixed focus laser, with such nice divergence is a very neat thing. A solid green needle thin beam shooting into the sky, now thats a sight!

A really tight 177mw green must be epic!Enjoy!

If you can cut tape I would bet a dollar that you can light black tipped matches, just color them with a sharpie. The paper book matches work best IMHO. I've lit matches with cheap 50mW Chinese pointers with a extra lens though. And don't worry about having to stretch the tape, most lasers will need a little tension on the tape to cut it with any speed.

What do you mean by 'painting clouds and distant mountains' I'm confused, you mean shining them? I've heard of people shining low altitude clouds with green lasers, but never knew what it did....

Yes he means shining it, higher powered lasers will touch low lying cloud cover and in some cases actually illuminate a small area in the cloud around the laser dot. Mountains must be fun, wish I lived by some, I cant really do any distance pointing where I am except on clouds.
Also if the mountain tops are snow capped the laser dot will light up a small area as well just like the clouds.

Yes he means shining it, higher powered lasers will touch low lying cloud cover and in some cases actually illuminate a small area in the cloud around the laser dot. Mountains must be fun, wish I lived by some, I cant really do any distance pointing where I am except on clouds.
Also if the mountain tops are snow capped the laser dot will light up a small area as well just like the clouds.

*gasp*:drool: will a 50mw green do it? What about red and blu-ray? I have both clouds and mountains. (Rocky mountains) but they're a couple hundred miles away, and I doubt it will do anything noticable due to the distance. Still pretty cool, could somebody show me a video of it? Hey OP take a vid of it for me if you can, or pics that would be so cool! =D And what if hikers turn around, will they get any damage from a 50mw green laser given that it's 200mi away? The 'dot' would be huge, they wouldnt experience any damage to their eyes right?