Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Sharp 638nm?

I just noticed this new Diode from DTR. I'm def interested!!

Sorry if this is a short post but I was just wondering how long it's been there?

Last edited:

Wow it looks similar to the Oclaro 700. If it was anything special he would've made a post but another cheap red with a can and hopefully better divergence isn't a bad thing,

What a great year 2017 is for the laser hobiest! 1w red laser anyone!

He's using the Nano at 550ma!

Last edited:

DTR

Yep the divergence is similar to the Mitsu 500mW and the Oclaro 700mW. Power tests are forthcoming. They have just two pins compared to the three pin with case neutral ground pin on the other two. If they have any advantage it would be either better efficiency/power or for light show projectors if the beam can be corrected to a better spot/beam than the other two.

Yep the divergence is similar to the Mitsu 500mW and the Oclaro 700mW. Power tests are forthcoming. They have just two pins compared to the three pin with case neutral ground pin on the other two. If they have any advantage it would be either better efficiency/power or for light show projectors if the beam can be corrected to a better spot/beam than the other two.

Yeah thats what I was kinda wondering myself, well I've gotten an Oclaro700 and mits500 from you in the past because to be honest I actually Do love the 638 wavelength so I may pick one of these up from you soon. Thanks DTR for that info :beer:

What would be the best diode and option to get a good visible red color with a tight beam dot?

My opinion is the 700 mw Oclaro is great, as long as you use a beam expander on it. You could built a custom laser host to hold a wider diameter collimation lens with a longer focal length to tame it's horrible divergence, then you would have a nice pointer with low divergence, but the beam would be fat.

Anyone have sources on aspherical glass collimator lens that I could just screw into say a 12mm module? I'm not finding much on Google.

Techhood sells one, DTR used to sell a cheaper version of the G-2, AxiZ sells them and I'm sure I'm leaving out several others.

Nice i was just about to start a threat but since this one is related keep it update !!
am planing to get the Sharp 700mW 638nm has anyone build any, i have some Oclaro 700mW 638nm builds , 1 build i did the color spectrum was more orange it was awesome
but i accidentally K/O the diode :oops:

wish i could tell you about the one i have, it was built by someone else, but is putting out over 900 mw using that diode. divergence makes it a rake into the night sky, but put a 8x beam expander on it and it can compete with a single mode 638 nm red, fat beam and far brighter, but the divergence tamed.

Anyone notice a difference in the color compared to the Oclaro or the Mits? Was wondering about Alien's claim that it is more orange,or in wavelength terms, lower than 635nm.

Anyone notice a difference in the color compared to the Oclaro or the Mits? Was wondering about Alien's claim that it is more orange,or in wavelength terms, lower than 635nm.

he is talking about some oclaro's he had if i get that right.

also hope to see a power graph soon :)