Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Sb308b292 diode with the color I've been looking for

LaserRanger

As stated in the title. I've bought a hand full of these sharp diodes in the hopes of finding that sky blue / turquoise color and I've finally found one that I like. Its the 4th out of 6 diodes I've purchased and it's even bluer than one I had used in a tool AAA host..
The color I see on my Samsung Galaxy s9 screen is almost identical to what I see with my eyes

Here is my new EDC in a craftsman led pen light host running on 2 AAA eneloop pros. I'm really liking this host, it doesn't give me any issues as I'm running this at around150-175ma. Maybe I can give it a little more juice

20190420_205640.jpg20190420_205607.jpg

Thank you for looking!

Attachments

• 20190420_205630.jpg
    20190420_205630.jpg
    914.4 KB · Views: 3

These diodes will do more than 100 mW if you drive them at 275 mA. I have built a few and they all do between 120 mW and 135 mW. The color is stunning.

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Looking good, LaserRanger, a beautiful wavelength for sure! :cool:
I coincidentally just finished a aaa pen build yesterday, using that very same diode; I'm hoping it comes out a little higher wavelength than the one I already have.

Do you happen to have any pics of your Craftsman host?

I haven't binned any by wavelength from DTR, but someone might ask me to eventually. If so, I'll keep you in mind, Josh.

Last edited:

kecked

Tell you what. I’ll bring my ocean optics unit to SELEM if you like and you guys can bin them all week long.
Cost. I get one for free. I want a 488. Or 470-475. Deal.

I still have a few of the ones Paul binned for me a while back... Not sure which ones are left off the top of my head but there should be a few in the 488-489 range

LaserRanger

Thank you all for your comments! Im setting up the other diodes with some generic boost drivers so I can get a picture of the whole lot and how it differs from one diode to the next one. I'll include a picture of the craftsman host I used too.. I'm just about finishing up so here is a teaser for now
BowtieGuy I want to see how yours turned out. I'm going the simple way but I'm sure someone else might have a better way to use this type of hosts (2 AAA)
20190425_002858.jpg

Hi, Laser Ranger
You might be able to slide the 12mm module inside from the back of the hosts head.And set up the diode and driver like this. Built my pens like this in these flash light hosts.IMG_1850.JPGIMG_1302.JPG
Rich:)

Last edited:

kecked

One point to remember on binning is the temperature matters. If you just turn it on at low current and bin you will likely get a different result from letting it run for 30 sec at desired current. Yes I know you all know that but thought I’d point it out if you start binning diodes yourself.

You could calibrate a cheap transmission grating to do it yourself and be within 2-3nm maybe better. The math is pretty simple. http://www.physics.smu.edu/~scalise/emmanual/diffraction/lab.html

One way to be more accurate is to use an ND filter to reduce glare. The you can see and measure the exact center of the dot/bar better. Also the farther the throw the more resolution. So if you go through of off a grating and let the beam travel say 30 feet you could get pretty accurate provided you measure your center line well. Remember to use revenue lasers like hene to get your center line right.

Anyway I’m making it look scary and it’s not.

LaserRanger

Hey Rich thanks for the input about the host, one question, how do you support the board from crushing the diode pins once the battery is in? Or is it just snug enough to fit battery and battery blank without putting too much pressure on the pins? I've been using the copper hollow back half from DTR, I place it from the inside and screw in the module from the outaide and it helps as a support where the driver board can rest on without shorting. Also added a bit of hot glue between the pins to keep them from crushing or twisting.

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
BowtieGuy I want to see how yours turned out. I'm going the simple way but I'm sure someone else might have a better way to use this type of hosts (2 AAA)

Hey LaserRanger, thanks for the craftsman host pics, I don't have any decent pics of mine yet, but I did have this one photo, shown below, which is rather blurry, but it does give an idea of what it looks like.

I'll have to get more, and better photos of this pen, and post them soon.

Z5q0CJo.jpg