Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Sb308b292 diode with the color I've been looking for

Hey Rich thanks for the input about the host, one question, how do you support the board from crushing the diode pins once the battery is in? Or is it just snug enough to fit battery and battery blank without putting too much pressure on the pins? I've been using the copper hollow back half from DTR, I place it from the inside and screw in the module from the outaide and it helps as a support where the driver board can rest on without shorting. Also added a bit of hot glue between the pins to keep them from crushing or twisting.

Hi .
Ok the way I do it I cut the pins short enough to were when I solder the driver on the drive sits up against the back of the 12mm module.
And you don't need a lot of pressure behind the contact spring. Your idea with a copper back half is good with the spring sticking out a bit yes you can fill the void around the spring with hot glue to keep it centered and stable.
There are a lot of threads showing different ways to do this. I think Bow tie and R Pierce are a few and dont forget P Man he's been building pens forever.

Rich:)

LaserRanger

@BowtieGuy I can't wait to see your creation. I'm always excited to see builds with hosts in this size and style. I especially like the clicky switch. Push it half way and it can turn your laser on, push it all the way and it clicks and stays on
@Lifetime17 oh yeah Ive seen some of their builds. Those builds are what got me I to the hobby. To make something yourself but have it look like it was manufactured by a respected brand lol definitely bowtie's, r pierce, and pman influenced my builds but there's someone else that I forget.. Made some similar mods to small keychain flashlight...for the life of me I can't remember the name
As for the contact spring.. Some of the builds I've done make it so the battery is pressing considerably up to the spring on the driver so I try to trip the pins like you said and also use the smallest section of spring possible on the driver... Just enough tension to keep the battery from rattling but enough room to "give" or slide in case I drop the laser, the batteries can shift and have the spring dampen the shock

Last edited: