Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Sanwu SILVER SERIES 3W Laser Review w/ 3X BE!

diachi

Opinions are not verifiable. Numbers are. you say others have measured things, so you don't have to. By that logic, since others have done reviews, you don't have to.

"Amazing build quality" - what does this even mean? What are your standards for quality? How are you evaluating quality?

"Flawless light output" - what does this even mean? what are your standards for light output?

"BE has perfect optics" - what does this even mean? What are your standards for optics?

"Simplistic" - I guess I understand. Power button, and nothing else. But isn't this the case for virtually all pointers?

"Heavy, feels good in hand" - this is totally subjective. This evaluation would depend on your strength, your size, and your experience with similar objects. Mass in grams for example is not subjective.

"With the thin host, gets warm quickly" - so it's thin and heavy at the same time? What does this even mean? How thin? How warm? How quickly? How do each of these compare with other pointers?

All of these things could be said of a 4-figure "Hercules" model. All of these things could be said of most $5 chinese pointers as well. How descriptive can it be, if it describes almost all pointers there are?

Will you ever be satisfied with a review Cyp? :shhh: :crackup:

At this rate we're going to need beam profilers, 10W+ capable power meters, digital calipers, spectrometers and thermal imaging cameras. :na:

Just poking some fun, not disagreeing with you, I see what you're saying. :)

We could try to include as much technical info as possible.

I build my own but:

I know I would not want to buy a diode that says it's blue and looks pretty bright, no I want real specs.

So if I was buying ready made some numbers would be nice, if you can, but if not the pics are still enjoyable.

diachi

We could try to include as much technical info as possible.

I build my own but:

I know I would not want to buy a diode that says it's blue and looks pretty bright, no I want real specs.

So if I was buying ready made some numbers would be nice, if you can, but if not the pics are still enjoyable.

No I agree, divergence and beam diameter at the very least should be doable seeing as that only requires some space and a measuring tape for good enough accuracy. Fair enough if people don't have an LPM/Spectrometer for power and wavelength measurements - especially the spectrometer seeing as they definitely aren't cheap.

Weight and dimensions I can get from the manufacturer and they'd have no reason to lie about that ... I wouldn't really be fussed about those.

OP updated with specification information, unable to measure beam currently as batteries are docked in the charger.

I understand few people have a power meter, and few people have a spectrometer. Bench power supplies are a LOT more useful than a pointer, and only $50-100, but no one has those either for some reason.

But a ruler? A thermometer? A multimeter? $10 worth of standard equipment can tell you a lot more about the quality of a pointer than the "feel of it in your hand."

What do most people look for when buying a pointer? Seems to me: power, wavelength, divergence are probably the biggest deciding factors. Reliability would be a fourth, which could be approximated by checking the drive current and the temperature rise of various parts.

I'd question the value of a review that doesn't verify any of the things people actually look for when buying a pointer.

Last edited:
I understand few people have a power meter, and few people have a spectrometer. Bench power supplies are a LOT more useful than a pointer, and only $50-100, but no one has those either for some reason.

But a ruler? A thermometer? A multimeter? $10 worth of standard equipment can tell you a lot more about the quality of a pointer than the "feel of it in your hand."

If that's all you picked up from the information in this thread, I would question your reading skills... I explain many things other than how it feels.

What do most people look for when buying a pointer? Seems to me: power, wavelength, divergence are probably the biggest deciding factors. Reliability would be a fourth, which could be approximated by checking the drive current and the temperature rise of various parts.

I'd question the value of a review that doesn't verify any of the things people actually look for when buying a pointer.

Look Cyp, I understand you're not impressed with this review, but the points you're making are questionable. This is not an advertisement, nor product verification. I am simply analyzing the laser's features and stating my opinion on it. It really is pretty simple, and if you can't understand plain adjectives, how else do you want me to explain my perception of it?

I was welcoming the opinion of introducing feature values (such as power, wavelength etc) but now I sense a hint of condescension from you. You're acting as if everyone's thought of a perfect review is just numbers, which is not true at all. I'm open to your opinion, but no need to bark at me about it.

Pman

I get where Cyp is coming from as this is the reviews section and he expects a lot if it's going to be posted here and I agree with him on that. Yes I absolutely have stuff I've posted here that are not "reviews" but I only do that now if I can't figure out where else to put a bunch of different wavelength builds because they don't seem to fit in any other category such as this one:
http://laserpointerforums.com/f52/10-pens-10th-anniversary-96707.html
If it's just a single build then I put it in the specific one it goes in such as 445nm unless i'm actually going to measure the kind of things mentioned. I see the reviews section as the professional type review area and not for the regular stuff most of us build or buy all the time. From what I've seen most other builders that have been here awhile do that also. I've built a very high number of units but the reality is I can't think of a single one that actually belonged in this section as they were all built with diodes that someone else had already done a real review on so I don't bother getting more technical.

Last edited:
I get where Cyp is coming from as this is the reviews section and he expects a lot if it's going to be posted here and I agree with him on that. Yes I absolutely have stuff I've posted here that are not "reviews" but I only do that now if I can't figure out where else to put a bunch of different wavelength builds because they don't seem to fit in any other category such as this one:
http://laserpointerforums.com/f52/10-pens-10th-anniversary-96707.html
If it's just a single build then I put it in the specific one it goes in such as 445nm unless i'm actually going to measure the kind of things mentioned. I see the reviews section as the professional type review area and not for the regular stuff most of us build or buy all the time. From what I've seen most other builders that have been here awhile do that also. I've built a very high number of units but the reality is I can't think of a single one that actually belonged in this section as they were all built with diodes that someone else had already done a real review on so I don't bother getting more technical.

Okay, that makes sense I guess. I suppose next time I'll do my reviews in a different section or go full in-depth with my reviews. Thanks!

Wait, you still haven't told us how fast it heats up or the duty cycle. That's the most important aspect of a review.

Some more pics of the insides and possibly the driver would be nice, I don't think I've ever seen pics off the driver Podo uses!

Edit
Ok I do recall seeing that driver somewhere before, thanks for posting.

Last edited:
Some more pics of the insides and possibly the driver would be nice, I don't think I've ever seen pics off the driver Podo uses!

As I said in the OP, I couldn't even get the module out to replace. There's no way I'd be able to get in without destroying the laser.

Hi,
Can you just tell me how fast it heats up? (In seconds or minuets)
It's also the duty cycle. (If you don't know: basically how long the laser can be turned on without overheating. It's very important to know for every 'laser' review.

Last edited:

Podo

Hi,
Can you just tell me how fast it heats up? (In seconds or minuets)
It's also the duty cycle. (If you don't know: basically how long the laser can be turned on without overheating. It's very important to know for every 'laser' review.

For the the 3W 445nm Silver series, 40 seconds after a fresh start it gets warm. And there's no time limit to run the laser, you can turn it on as long as you want.