Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Sanwu Pocket 505nm 30mW review (With pics)

I haven't seen any reviews for this one yet so I decided to do my own little review. This is my first review so ya.
This is the first Sanwu laser I ever got and the consequences of this purchase have been positive. :) The cylinder shape of it looks pretty cool and is tiny, get your friend Picasso to paint it to look like a cigarette and your mom will think you smoke, smoke those good 505nm beams.

The laser came in with the element 3 lens installed and a the G7 in a little bag, would have been nice if they installed the G7 instead and put the element 3 in a bag but that's no biggie, if you guys know please tell me how to switch the lens, I think the lens is glued in there so I don't want to mess with it.

The first batteries I tried were crap and the laser lasted only 20 seconds with each one of them, here is the link to them: https://www.imrbatteries.com/imren-10440-200mah-button-top-battery/

I decided to order two more batteries but this time I chose these: https://www.imrbatteries.com/mxjo-10440-350mah-flat-top-battery/

These are MUCH better and are very lasting, can easily go beyond 5 minutes of "smoking" the laser. :beer:

For 30mW this laser is bright, I'm sure its more than 30mW, I can see the beam in a sunny room, overall I am happy with the power.
The dot is nice and round with nice divergence, there is a little light scatter around the dot which is a bit annoying but no big deal. For $85 (Total cost) for me it was worth it.

Time for some pics!
(Taken with Galaxy S7)

The pocket compared to my PL-E Mini :D
3gG1Tk2.jpg

The dot in a sunny backyard:
OQMRAxZ.jpg

From left to right, 505nm - 510nm - 520nm - 532nm
JYTQKwM.jpg

mGmUQJ9.jpg

M8TWMSC.jpg

On black surface with the pocket on the right:
GBeuv9c.jpg

On somewhat white surface with the pocket on the left:
RauYol2.jpg

And with low light setting:
kgpG3Jz.jpg

The beam looks pretty at night, might take some pics when it gets dark later.

DO I RECOMMEND?? If you are not a laser builder (Like me) and want a great 505nm laser pointer with a awesome quality host then YES.

:thanks: Sanwu

OH AND FOR BURNING! This thing doesn't burn anything, makes matches just smoke a bit but that's it, really not a burning laser as expected.

EDIT: Added some night shots:

a8GG4vT.jpg

CqHW4Kk.jpg

505nm and 532nm:
clKmRQT.jpg

Last edited:

Radim

Nice greens comparsion. Makes me desire to get further lasers in the rainbow. :)

Nice review. 505 is pretty cool, huh?
What's most interesting to me is that the apparent color changes depending on the lighting conditions. It makes 532 look yellow.

I somehow zombified my 505 - I'm unfamiliar with the driver I used so I may have done something wrong - but since the 495nm diodes came out I'm trying to replace it with one of those. It seems I always miss out on the good stuff.

Nice greens comparsion. Makes me desire to get further lasers in the rainbow. :)

505nm is definitely worth a look.

Great review, especially for the first one. You do have a nice collection of green wavelengths. Can never have too many lasers. :yh:

Nice review!! I’d like to get a sanwu pocket. They make nice stuff. I really like the delayed start-up. I’d be cool if sanwu started releasing drivers under their line. Drivers are drying up badly and they’d surely sell. :beer:

All I saw was the Cute cat in picture 4 :D
Plus rep BTY

Last edited:
Nice review!! I’d like to get a sanwu pocket. They make nice stuff. I really like the delayed start-up. I’d be cool if sanwu started releasing drivers under their line. Drivers are drying up badly and they’d surely sell. :beer:

Pretty sure that they would sell.
The diode they use are the SB217HL91/HN91, the one with the messy pinout and 6V required, and they are powering that diode with a single 10440.

Great first review! :yh: I’ve spoken with Sanwu Support, and they told me all Pocket lasers
are shipped with the same 3-element lens installed. They also stated that a G7 lens can be installed by customers in about 5 minutes, using a screwdriver. The G7 that I received has very small screwdriver notches in the center of the lens holder. Please Take Care.

-cd

diachi

Nice review! :beer:

Do it! I highly recommend them, I've got the 445 and 650 pocket series, great little lasers. Build quality is fantastic.

Great first review! :yh: I’ve spoken with Sanwu Support, and they told me all Pocket lasers
are shipped with the same 3-element lens installed. They also stated that a G7 lens can be installed by customers in about 5 minutes, using a screwdriver. The G7 that I received has very small screwdriver notches in the center of the lens holder. Please Take Care.

-cd

It's difficult to try to think of a lens that doesn't have those screwdriver slots on the side that goes away from the diode. I was wondering, if it isn't apparent, how to change the lens, since you asked. Most unscrew completely away from the host and you can then remove the lens and replace it.

-cd

Okay where do I stick the screwdriver?

WSM7XTy.jpg

K10MWLa.jpg

Are those the notches on the side you were talking about?
Wx74kwf.jpg

I don't see how a screwdriver would do the job here, but maybe I am not realizing something? :confused::confused:

Okay where do I stick the screwdriver

You got to be kidding me asking a question like that around here. :crackup:

No, I suspect you don't need a screwdriver to change the lens. It is lost in the translation from Chinglish. If you can unscrew the focus knob until it can be removed, you should be able to see the lens from the back side. But, I'm just guessing here. ;)

Looking back over your photos, it looks like the lens is either pressed into the focus knob, or screws into it. If it is pressed, you might need a screwdriver to pry it out.

Last edited:

diachi

Okay where do I stick the screwdriver?

Are those the notches on the side you were talking about?

I don't see how a screwdriver would do the job here, but maybe I am not realizing something? :confused::confused:

Yes, they are talking about the notches, a screwdriver usually isn't ideal though. Something like a piece cut off of an old SIM card "tray" would work. You can make that wide enough for a good fit and there's little risk of scratching the lens, unlike with a screwdriver (if you can find a flat head large enough). A guitar pick works in a pinch.

You got to be kidding me asking a question like that around here. :crackup:

No, I suspect you don't need a screwdriver to change the lens. It is lost in the translation from Chinglish. If you can unscrew the focus knob until it can be removed, you should be able to see the lens from the back side. But, I'm just guessing here. ;)

Looking back over your photos, it looks like the lens is either pressed into the focus knob, or screws into it. If it is pressed, you might need a screwdriver to pry it out.

Haha makes sense thanks :D Chinglish got me good once again.

Yes, they are talking about the notches, a screwdriver usually isn't ideal though. Something like a piece cut off of an old SIM card "tray" would work. You can make that wide enough for a good fit and there's little risk of scratching the lens, unlike with a screwdriver (if you can find a flat head large enough). A guitar pick works in a pinch.

I'll try it out thanks. :)