Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Sanwu Lasers - Offical thread

dae

didn't really know where else to post this so here goes - I just bought and received a Sanwu Challenger II 3W 445nm laser in Single Mode operation with one 18650 battery for power - and I have not been able to get it to turn on for more than a brief second. Is there a method to unlock it that differs from the instructions on the site?

I did search around here a bit and saw someone having similar issues but that was with multi-mode operation.

I have tried single half presses, which prompts the beam to appear for a second-ish as is what happens when I power it on, and the same with 3 half presses and 5 half presses, or really any number of them.
Nevermind, I figured out the problem, and if anyone else is having this issue it's because your batteries are just *slightly* too short and aren't contacting properly. I had some slightly longer 18650's and those worked just fine .

So there were a few reasons I went with the 470nm over the 445nm. The 470nm is such a true blue as where the 445nm comes across very purple to me. I have a 7W 445nm to compare it with and the difference in person is drastic but hard to capture on camera.

As to styles its All personal preference but i went with the style that allowed for 11 vials and did blue to match the laser. It came out awesome. The dimming switch makes an awesome burning tool as i use to aim the laser at first then crank it up when i have it on the object i want to burn. I know thats not its main purpose but I'm a bit of a pyro so dont judge 🙏😂

Build and everything on this laser was 1000% over what i expected. This was my first from Sanwu now I can't decide which to get next!
Doooood—Do you have some pictures you can post?? I’d love to see which style you chose, I’d love to see it with the tritium vials, and I’d love to see it in action.

I am so f***ing close to pulling the trigger on a Ranger (probably one of the >1w greens, but I haven’t made up my mind yet), and I’d love to see yours for context and just because that sounds like it looks amazing.

Ive been having a hard time deciding on which style to go with. I think #7 is my favorite, but there’s no way I could afford to fill all the tritium vial slots, so I’m not gonna bother with that one. I love the look of #8 too, but I think I would only be able to fill 6/11 slots. #5 is pretty sharp looking also, and the plus side to it is that I could afford to fill all 6 of the vial slots.

Please post some pics, man. Or PM me some. I bet that rig looks 👌

Grace and peace,
Ryan

@Podo, can you or someone else please tell me which Sanwu hosts come with which lenses? Do they all come with 3-element lenses? Or do some hosts come with the G7 or G2?

I’m specifically curious about the Red Guardian and Ranger hosts. I want to buy a G7 lens for them, but if they already come with one I don’t want to double up.

Also
, should I order the 7mm or 9mm barrels for the lenses? What’s the difference?

Thank you for your time!
-Ryan

Edit:
Just found this. I swear I searched extensively before I posted this question. Dunno how this slipped by me:
68CC66C4-F171-4850-8491-1654DC5790B6.jpeg

Last edited:
@Podo,

I’ve read elsewhere in the LPF (as well as in a review on the Sanwu website) that the Red Guardian does NOT have reverse polarity protection. I’m assuming this still holds true, but I wanted to be really sure that this was the case, as I have just purchased a 492nm 150mw Red Guardian. Can you confirm?

The page for the regular guardian has a section that states:

Battery Protection

Our lasers come with several battery protections to protect the laser and the battery: over-discharge protection, over-charge protection and reverse polarity protection.

But the page for the Red Guardian doesn’t state any of that. Does it have any of those features? Is it just lacking the RPP or is it lacking all of the above features?

If it is in fact lacking the RPP, I think it would be really nice to include a note about the lack of that feature in the information section. I think that would possibly/probably save some folks some heartache.

When I see that almost all of Sanwu’s other lasers include that feature (as do most high-end lasers), I’m more inclined to think that whoever made the web page accidentally forgot to add that paragraph about the “Battery Protection”, rather than the paragraph being intentionally omitted because the laser does in fact not have those features. Does that make sense? I don’t know if I’m explaining that well. Essentially I think it would add a lot of clarity and reduce confusion to include a note that specifically states the Red Guardian doesn’t have RPP, since most/all of Sanwu’s other lasers have it, including the regular Guardian.

Thanks!
Ryan

MrEgg

One thing no company is offering are lasers with beam shaping optics. Personally I quite find lasers that produce a line and not a round spot a very compelling reason not to purchase. I had my eye set on buying a 462-465nm laser until I found out the diode produces a line, not a spot. Beam correction optics could be offered as a laser ready made or as an optional add-on.
The Sanwu x3 beam expander goes a long way in correcting this. It certainly tightens the beam right up over a long distance. I tried it with both their 1w 635nm and 5w 470nm, makes a huge difference and a good fix at $55!

The Sanwu x3 beam expander goes a long way in correcting this. It certainly tightens the beam right up over a long distance. I tried it with both their 1w 635nm and 5w 470nm, makes a huge difference and a good fix at $55!
In the official Sanwu thread Podo said they are looking into fast axis correct some time ago.

Hopfully im in the right thread here i figered id post here before trying to email sanwu

I recently purchased a striker 5w 470nm blue laser, great laser and i was thinking about ordering the 1.6w 525nm green this friday and i was wondering how i could go about getting the diode specs for these two diodes and if it would be possable to get some specs on the driver they use.
i was also wondering about the run time, i saw on another post they said it was unlimited on anything under the 7w 445nm blue and i think it said something about the driver limiting the diode to manage the temp.

so thats why i was wondering about the driver is it voltage and temperature controlled, if so that would impressive given how small these drivers are.

been scared to push my new striker too hard couse it does get hot pritty fast.

Encap

Hi,
I might be wrong but I think that Sanwu uses brass heat sinks could be an issue . maybe someone could clarify .
Rich:)
The 100% copper models notwithstanding, the combination of brass with whatever low thermal conductivity metal is not the best mix for excellent thermal conductivity, but it is very durable and relatively resistant to environmental damage of one kind or another + the focus is to keep costs down yet give good value for hard earned money spent.
JetLasers and Sanwu accomplish that goal more completely than most commercial makers.
Everything is a tradeoff in most commercial/consumer/end user product but Sanwu has done their homework and produces excellent product values for the retail end user cost when compared to the sea of mediocre and worse generally out there and for sale + way better than vast number of absolutely garbage quality lasers sold at high prices being marketed in today's world to people who don't know any better.

Attn: LPF Members>>>The above having been said if you want a simple to assemble/complete high/excellent quality laser in a superior host please have a look at LPF member Lifetime 17's offerings.
All of them are better quality than the vast majority of commercially manufactured lasers when completed with high quality parts easy to come/find by these days.
See: https://laserpointerforums.com/media/albums/signature-pictures.9/

looks like its copper and aluminum outer housing

had to reduce the image size to upload, dont know how that affects quality

Attachments

• 20210906_211508.jpg
    20210906_211508.jpg
    1,011 KB · Views: 8
The 100% copper models notwithstanding, the combination of brass with whatever low thermal conductivity metal is not the best mix for excellent thermal conductivity, but it is very durable and relatively resistant to environmental damage of one kind or another + the focus is to keep costs down yet give good value for hard earned money spent.
JetLasers and Sanwu accomplish that goal more completely than most commercial makers.
Everything is a tradeoff in most commercial/consumer/end user product but Sanwu has done their homework and produces excellent product values for the retail end user cost when compared to the sea of mediocre and worse generally out there and for sale + way better than vast number of absolutely garbage quality lasers sold at high prices being marketed in today's world to people who don't know any better.

Attn: LPF Members>>>The above having been said if you want a simple to assemble/complete high/excellent quality laser in a superior host please have a look at LPF member Lifetime 17's offerings.
All of them are better quality than the vast majority of commercially manufactured lasers when completed with high quality parts easy to come/find by these days.
See: https://laserpointerforums.com/media/albums/signature-pictures.9/
Hi,
Thanks for the quality reply that said should clear things up for the member

MrEgg

Hi,
I might be wrong but I think that Sanwu uses brass heat sinks could be an issue . maybe someone could clarify .
The main host bodies are usually white copper or cupronickel. The heat sink in my 470nm 5watt Sanwu Silver is red copper and not brass. The whole unit is one huge heat sink. Excellent design.

Snecho

Always loved Sanwu for their high purity quality metals and craftsmanship 👍

Hey there,
Looks like no one has posted to this thread in a few months. Ive reached out to Sanwu a few time over the last couple months and havent heard back. Can anyone tell me if they are still open for business? I was interested in their RGB laser for a long time. I'm not necessarily trying to purchase one right now but I would like to in the future. Maybe this coming year in addition to one of their LPM. I havent beenactive on the forum so Im not sure if I missed an update on a change in status of the company. Thank you