Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

Sanwu Lasers - Offical thread

theoxidado

Hi, I am deciding between the 80mw green laser pointer or the 1600mw blue, is it worth paying the difference? is the blue brighter?

amars22

Because of the way human eyes perceive light, the green will appear very close to the same brightness as the blue, but keep in mind that that blue is 20x more powerful than the green, and at 1.6 watts you're approaching the levels of power where even the reflection off a white wall can cause permanent eye damage. If you're just getting in to lasers I'd recommend the lower power green, which is still dangerous but much less so, and will still be very bright.

theoxidado

Because of the way human eyes perceive light, the green will appear very close to the same brightness as the blue, but keep in mind that that blue is 20x more powerful than the green, and at 1.6 watts you're approaching the levels of power where even the reflection off a white wall can cause permanent eye damage. If you're just getting in to lasers I'd recommend the lower power green, which is still dangerous but much less so, and will still be very bright.
Ty! Also, if I choose the DHL/FEDEX shipping option are also the batteries send with DHL/FEDEX?

hakzaw1

wrong--The factor is four NOT two.
twice the power of 80mW is 320mW and so on. afaik

so called free batts are a bad move-- free means the cheapest AND
batts in the same box is another bad idea.. like sending a pistol that is loaded...get them elsewhere.. or pay to have them sent alone.

Encap

wrong--The factor is four NOT two.
twice the power of 80mW is 320mW and so on. afaik

so called free batts are a bad move-- free means the cheapest AND
batts in the same box is another bad idea.. like sending a pistol that is loaded...get them elsewhere.. or pay to have them sent alone.
Hak:
You are confusing output power and brightness .

He is talking about mW of power regardless of wavelength---- 1.6W is 20X more output power in mW than 80mW.

You are thinking of the rule of thumb for double the brightness of the same wavelength--2X visual brightness takes 4X the mW power output

Last edited:

gazer101

This has actually been an ongoing question for me, how does one calculate the theoretical limit of brightness perception of a given frequency as per Fechner's law?: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weber–Fechner_law#Fechner's_law

I get that the relation is logarithmic, but how would one know what percentage of the maximum possible perception of 525nm light a 1W laser would present vs. a 10W laser? The rule of thumb where 4x power increase means 2x brightness increase only applies to a thin band of the logarithmic relation

Yes I know it's very subjective, but based on the architecture of the human eye I'm sure some smart somebody could calculate this value (maximum perceivable brightness before eye damage). Please post your equations if you do :)