Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

S06J 12X Build, 2 of 3 lasers (very pic heavy).

As you may have read in the first build thread, this last Christmas eve (12/24/2013) I purchased three hosts from Mrcrouse and started planning the three lasers, this is the second one of the three.

The parts were again purchased from DTR
12X S06J Bluray Diode In Copper Module W/Microboost & 405-G-2 Glass Lens with the extended barrel for $120.
https://sites.google.com/site/dtrlpf/home/diodes/s06j-12x-405-diodes

The host from Mrcrouse was clearance priced at only $16.

And three additional parts from Survival Laser.
Survival Laser USA Home
Specifically the Extended Length Focusing Ring - Black Anodized for $9.99.
Extended Length Focusing Ring - Black Anodized
And the External Lens Spring that comes in a 5-pack for $19.99 so that is $4.00 for one.
External Lens Spring 5-Pack
And a lens cap. I don't see them now on their site, they may be out of them right now.

The total cost was approximately $151.

If you want to build an equivalent laser, I suggest using any Mrcrouse host that uses a single battery and comes pre-wired with a battery contact board.

Tools and supplied used are:

Soldering iron
Helping hands with lighted magnifier
Solder
Heat shrink tubing
Laser power meter
DMM
Round nose pliers
Stainless steel tweezers
Wire stripper

If you missed the first of the three build threads you can find it here:
http://laserpointerforums.com/f45/pl520-build-1-3-lasers-very-pic-heavy-88336.html

Once again lets begin with the package from Mrcrouse, at the end of the first build we had two hosts left:

DSCN0158_zps4bff24db.jpg

Lets grab one and see what might this be:

DSCN0217_zpsf37b205d.jpg

There it is, a UltraFire 903 host. On one side it says CREE Q5:

DSCN0218_zps78b5fc14.jpg

And on the other side it says UltraFire 903:

DSCN0219_zpsd8b28ee2.jpg

Lets look at the host disassembled:

DSCN0220_zpsdc3d939f.jpg

The tail cap:

DSCN0221_zps26446010.jpg

The inside of the tail cap looks different than most, am not sure if it would be easily fixable if it were to break:

DSCN0222_zpsfa89b417.jpg

The pill in this host is not made to easily screw in or out with your fingers, you need either round nose pliers or sharp pointed stainless steel tweezers like you would use to fix the tail cap on some hosts. In case you are unfamiliar with round nose pliers, you wont find them in the tool section, you can get them at any craft store that sells jewelry making supplies or they sell them at Walmart in the craft section next to the jewelry making supplies. They are used for bending wire and have a very pointed tip:

DSCN0223_zps2334335c.jpg

The other side of the pill. The hosts from Mrcrouse that are wired with a battery contact board have a spring attached. If it is a single battery host like this one, that means you can use a flat top or a button top battery:

DSCN0224_zps85af04d1.jpg

The heat sink:

DSCN0225_zpsf0911244.jpg

The main body of the host:

DSCN0226_zps0257d94b.jpg

Lets move on to the module. Most of you know DTR's packaging. I suspect that he lives next door to a post office, you can count on him for fast shipping:

DSCN0227_zps6dd31e5d.jpg

Lets open it and see what we have:

DSCN0228_zpsdf4ec064.jpg

Now we need to separate the parts:

DSCN0229_zpsbceaba83.jpg

The front end of the module:

DSCN0231_zps728f26e2.jpg

The Microboost driver:

DSCN0232_zpseacc3db3.jpg

And the other side:

DSCN0233_zpsa95cd376.jpg

Now I am going to take that standard focus knob and internal lens spring and put them away in my box of spare parts:

DSCN0234_zpsa3ea1a55.jpg

And replace them with the parts from Survival Laser:

DSCN0235_zps0d08cde3.jpg

:wtf: Something is wrong with this lens:

DSCN0236_zpsb27f03a9.jpg

OK I managed to get a better picture but this is the best I could do, I don't have enough magnification for a real good picture. The lens is cracked or chipped on the front side. This is the back side of the lens. The break is off to one side though so maybe it will work, we will find out:

DSCN0237_zps86f7bcf8.jpg

Now to put the focus knob on the lens:

DSCN0238_zps1859a8f0.jpg

Then slide the spring over the lens. On a G2 lens these springs can be a tight fit but are a perfect fit with the extended barrel:

DSCN0239_zps5c94b156.jpg

Screw the lens back into the module:

DSCN0240_zpse276de84.jpg

Then screw the back part of the module back on. This turned out to be a mistake, I also should have shortened the wires some but it looked like there was enough room:

DSCN0241_zps601e4b10.jpg

Now back to the pill:

DSCN0242_zps89557ece.jpg

We have to strip the wires to prepare for soldering:

DSCN0243_zpsbc2e5e23.jpg

And put the pill back in the host:

DSCN0244_zps036678e0.jpg

Insert the module into the heat sink from the front of the heat sink and tighten the set screw:

DSCN0245_zpsdc30d910.jpg

Notice that the rear of the module sticks out the back some:

DSCN0246_zps2f491ef8.jpg

Cut two pieces of heat shrink:

DSCN0247_zpsa81e57db.jpg

Slide the heat shrink onto the wires from the module:

DSCN0248_zps28e56246.jpg

Then solder the wires from the module to the wires from the battery contact board and slide the heat shrink in place and brush it with your soldering iron a couple of times. Notice here that I have soldered the red wire to the black and the black to the red. When assembling a laser here is one place you must know what your doing. A laser can be wired host negative or host positive. If your using a round driver that doubles as a contact board then you don't have that choice, but when using a separate contact board you do. This one is host positive. The diode can be case neutral, case negative or case positive, so some must be wired one way or the other, also with some hosts the diode will be electrically isolated from the host so its important to be aware of these things:

DSCN0249_zps72113bfb.jpg

Now insert the heat sink back into the host. Here is where I discovered there is less room than it looked like, but I am too lazy to take it apart and do it over again. I tried several times to make it fit but it wouldn't so I twisted the wires together (very carefully to not over twist them), its easy to break something that way. I then stuffed much of the wire down onto the pill and finally it slipped all the way into place:

DSCN0250_zps7710f667.jpg

Finish screwing the host together and we should have a working laser:

DSCN0251_zps5c032da8.jpg

Now get one 18650 battery. These batteries are really cheap and I am not recommending them. I have since purchased some better batteries:

DSCN0252_zps77a91106.jpg

Insert the battery negative end first and put the tail cap on. Always be careful when you first screw the tail cap on a new laser, either test the tail cap with your DMM to see if its on or off or else just point it in a safe direction. This is the second time I have had a laser turn on when screwing on the tail cap:

DSCN0253_zpsfba37d4f.jpg

Ready for testing:

DSCN0254_zpsec2be78a.jpg

Here are some photos for scale. Its bigger than a C6:

DSCN0255_zpsd94a7928.jpg

DSCN0256_zps6e8dd76a.jpg

It looks bigger in the photo but its exactly six inches:

DSCN0257_zpsf707c170.jpg

Now for LPM testing. It meters at a reasonable 590.8mw:

DSCN0259_zps9e450ce6.jpg

It takes a couple of minutes to start slowly dropping in power and still doesn't feel warm at that point:

DSCN0260_zps39baf0b6.jpg

Here is the dot unfocused. Its doesn't show it in the photo but really it is round and a little less bright on two sides, also there is a narrow splash going off to one side:

IMG_20140330_183439_zps3f7ebe89.jpg

It doesn't really look blue, that's just the camera, it looks very violet:

IMG_20140330_183624_zpsc36628af.jpg

And some more photos:

IMG_20140330_185411_zps3199077a.jpg

I was worried about this lens but I guess I'll keep it, it seems to work OK.

IMG_20140330_185441_zps9f6ac4f0.jpg

IMG_20140330_185526_zps92bf2ff6.jpg

Be careful with one of these, I didn't know I was leaving scorch marks when taking these photos until I smelled something burning. Its more powerful than I would have expected from 590mw:

IMG_20140330_185643_zps6c685d39.jpg

I will return with number three in the near future:

DSCN0216_zpsfc705f32.jpg

Thanks for looking. And remember: Safety first, wear your goggles.

DSCN0155_zpsccbd1d62.jpg

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
Another nice build Pi. :beer:
What is your driver set at to obtain the 590mW output you are getting?

Last edited:
Super nice build, I love the 405nm wavelength, very eye pleasing color.
Epic build tutorial and photos showing a story line of the build.
You make the build look easy as Pi. :>)
Thanks for taking your time and sharing your build tutorial with all of us.
+ 1 rep

That is an x-boost, not a microboost, just letting you know :p

Both are great, just sayin.

Nice build, but honestly, I understand why no-one wanted to buy that host :p

-Matt

Thanks COMMANDR.

That is an x-boost, not a microboost, just letting you know :p

Both are great, just sayin.

Nice build, but honestly, I understand why no-one wanted to buy that host :p

-Matt

Are you sure? DTR only sells them with a microboost, or so he says. See this link: https://sites.google.com/site/dtrlpf/home/diodes/s06j-12x-405-diodes

It also says so on my receipt:

Description
Unit price
Qty
Amount

12X S06J Blueray Didoe in Module W/Microboost Set to Desired current & 405-G-2 Glass Lens
Item# 0001 , Current: 500mA , Lens Option: G-2 Extended Barrel
$130.00 USD
$130.00 USD

I suppose he could have run out of them and made a substitute.

Alan

Very nice tutorial on your build! +rep
I always planned on being this thorough on my builds, but the building always overtook documenting..

Hi PI,
checked out you 12x SO6J build you posted a while ago. I noticed that you buy the focus adapters from Gary ( SL ) well i thought you could save yourself $10 on those adapters . This is what ai do with all my focus adapters i get when i buy a DTR module, or you can get a bag of them from AixiZ cheap. Heres a pic of how i Super glue them together if you do get the good glue for fast setting they have different setting times.

Attachments

• IMG_1017.JPG
    IMG_1017.JPG
    167.6 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_1018.JPG
    IMG_1018.JPG
    165.7 KB · Views: 88

BowtieGuy

LPF Site Supporter
crazy, he could very well be one and the same; it's looking more and more like it all the time. Hey "bro" is that you again? :undecided:
Sorry for the thread hi-jack Pi.

APEX1

Seriously? More useless necro posting?

Anyone think our "friend" is back?

I can vouch for laserbeamk, he's just young and new to the hobby! I talk to this kid almost every day via text message. sorry for the thread jak

Last edited:
Sorry for everything I wasn't looking at the date and I will watch for that every next time I search for a post. I was just looking for a hex key wrench. I just deleted the post and will delete all the posts I "necro" posted and try to not speak too much. I apologize for everything and I wouldn't want a bad reputation so I will write this message and say sorry for everything. If you feel offended by any necro messages you could pm me about that I don't want to make the thread messier. I keep making that mistake everytime not seeing the date. I will apologize for the last time saying
SORRY FOR EVERYTHING I TRUELY APOLOGIZE FOR THE NECRO-POSTING

-laser

Last edited:
Hey sometimes you will get carried away to post and not think about it. Its not the worst that could happen my friend. Don't take it so hard everyone i mean everyone makes mistakes no one is perfect. Thats how we learn were only human it will always be that way.

Rich..:)

Hi PI,
checked out you 12x SO6J build you posted a while ago. I noticed that you buy the focus adapters from Gary ( SL ) well i thought you could save yourself $10 on those adapters . This is what ai do with all my focus adapters i get when i buy a DTR module, or you can get a bag of them from AixiZ cheap. Heres a pic of how i Super glue them together if you do get the good glue for fast setting they have different setting times.

That is a brilliant idea, I hope many others see this, thanks.

Seriously? More useless necro posting?

Anyone think our "friend" is back?

crazy, he could very well be one and the same; it's looking more and more like it all the time. Hey "bro" is that you again? :undecided:
Sorry for the thread hi-jack Pi.

USAbro is gone but he's not forgotten.

I can vouch for laserbeamk, he's just young and new to the hobby! I talk to this kid almost every day via text message. sorry for the thread jak

I agree, he isn't USAbro. He asks questions that USAbro wouldn't be asking. Laserbeamk is just new and hopefully he will learn and be a great member of LPF.

Sorry for everything I wasn't looking at the date and I will watch for that every next time I search for a post. I was just looking for a hex key wrench. I just deleted the post and will delete all the posts I "necro" posted and try to not speak too much. I apologize for everything and I wouldn't want a bad reputation so I will write this message and say sorry for everything. If you feel offended by any necro messages you could pm me about that I don't want to make the thread messier. I keep making that mistake everytime not seeing the date. I will apologize for the last time saying
SORRY FOR EVERYTHING I TRUELY APOLOGIZE FOR THE NECRO-POSTING

-laser

There's no need to apologize, but necro posting is only ok if you really have something useful to add to the thread. It's not a bad thing that this thread got bumped though, it may help some people learn something. I have had PM's about this with questions a few times as I have with my other build threads.

In case anyone is wondering about build 3 of 3, I never did post a build thread, I just have been too lazy to spend the 3 hours or more it will take to post it. I am also in poor health and not feeling well most of the time. I do have the photos online and resized though, I am also ready now to build my next laser, so I may yet get around to posting a build thread. Here are the photos I was going to use in the build thread, this is my 450nm 1913mW, this is the build 3 of 3 from the 3 hosts I bought from Mrcrouse on December 24, 2013:

Blue450nm Slideshow by Pi-R-Squared | Photobucket

Alan

Pi, when will wee see another beautiful build????

You can rest assured that it won't be long now. It looks like I may only be able to do one build this year, but it will be the best one yet. I still have hope I may be able to do a second one before the end of the year but I am not sure yet.

Alan