Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

ROUND 2 SOLD OUT!! - CHEAP 445nm (true-blue) diodes group buy

Re: ROUND 2 SOLD!! Awaiting payment - CHEAP 445nm diodes group buy

It's pretty much just like solonar said.. I ordered the projector first thing this morning with UPS 3day shipping. I should have it by this weekend or worst case early next week. I've been asked to run a couple tests on the diodes while they're still in the projector to help establish the ideal running conditions, but once I'm done with that they'll be going out as soon as I can muster. I hope to have them in the mail by this coming Tues. at the latest.

EF ---
Any ideas as to what those lenses are? Cylinder, PCx, etc??

HMike

They look like plano-convex aspheric to me, but they could also be meniscus.

EF --

Thanks --- I'm cleaning my lathe! Trying to picture a portable assembly.

HMike

I can't wait to see what you come up with! I don't have access to machine tools right now, neither at home or at work. It sucks..

I view these diodes as an opportunity for laser hobbyists to learn about and develop more complex optics for portables. After all, it's not like we can stay singlemode forever. With diodes if you want more power past a certain point, you have to accept the cost: crappy beam specs. Making the best of it is the only reasonable option IMO.

EF --

This will bring on a flood of appliance opperators who only want to buy or post build. I have a bunch of Alum round stock coming so I can start turning the cranks on the machines. That's half the fun !!!

HMike

You're breaking my heart with all this talk. I long for draft paper and micrometers.. the hum of the motors and grinding of metal. You're absolutely right Mike, the guys who build whole laser systems from scratch are the heroes here.

Re: ROUND 2 SOLD!! - CHEAP 445nm (true-blue) diodes group buy

EF et all ----
I bid on some weird aluminum bar stock on ebay. 4 of the 7 bars would be useless to me but I wanted the big stuff. Some AH outbid me by 50 CENTS !!
I went to "use-enco.com" -- that's where I buy tool bits etc and found exactly what I want, in stock, for the same price - shipped and it's 6061 alum !!!!!
Pays to shop around.

HMike

I hope to have something made up this weekend, some serious stuff. I'll probably be able to crank a wide variety of hosts out really quickly and fairly cheaply. This is probably what I'll make all my stuff on, it has some milling capability for set screws and button holes etc...

bg_10157.jpg

I'm really interested in that lens, looking forward to the updates EF!!

WTF! I've been gone for like a month or two, and these 445nm diodes were practically unheard of for us. Now I come back and you guys have these things at burning power levels right off the bat for $50? WTF!!!!!! christ, I need to come here more often.

That's just how it worked out.. Someone hit the mother load and was willing to share how and where they obtained the diodes. The future will be interesting!!

jeez... I always knew that DLP would get us cheap diodes, but not like this! I thought it would be gradual, like blu-ray, but of course we get 1 watt diodes in 5.6mm cans the very first day LOL!. I have to sell some stuff....

Updated Post 1 with tracking info for those who want to know where the projector is at any given time..

Mine is scheduled for delivery today ^_^

I will post live streaming video when it arrives :)

That BIG RED warning in post 1 just blinded me. I didn't take precautions to wear goggles :)

HMike

This frenzy is now insanity. I hope these diodes "measure up"!!!
EF -- What's tha status on this order if there is any control now?
Too many crazy posts. Too bad there isn't a special builder's forum.

HMike