Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

RGB/RGV ILDA on a budget

Hello!

Been looking around to buy an ILDA full color laser show projector. I've been digging around, looking at some videos etc and it seems like you at least want a scanner at 20k pps [? input].

I am looking for some recommendation from you guys in to what to consider, and perhaps some product recommendations in the price range I am looking.

Total power output is not relevant in my case. I'll be using it at home.

Ran across this as a candidate. However after some googling it turend out that the scanner is not 30k. Which makes me want to be a bit careful when ordering one.

Another candidate was this one. Seems to be an L.D. Laser projector.

As you see those projectors range from $409 - $466 incl shipping. So I guess a budget of sub-$500 is the desirable range.

As said earlier, the total power output is not relevant. These projectors peak at 300-400mW, where as I would easily settle with a well color balanced 100mW.

As for color balance, would it be worth waiting a year or so for 445nm modules to become more commonly integrated in scanners?

How easy would it be to replace the scanner in a cheaper ILDA laser show projector with a 20-30k? How interchangeable are they? Would it save me some monies? :)

Any input appreciated.

Mikael

Grix

You don't need 20+kpps if you are on a budget, unless you are looking for a graphics projector specifically. 12kpps will be enough to run most beamshows smooth.

Also, are you sure power is not important? A 100mW RGB is going to be very weak, the blue and red will be almost invisible in beamshows.

Cheap chinese scanners will most likely be underpowered and have crappy color balance, but at that budget, they are your only choice.

If you are willing to pay just over $500, I reccommend the Hammer RGBV500 from spacelas: Laser show - Beam show Animation show Scanner systems - products - SpaceLas.

The white balace is horrible, but turning down the pot on the green module fixes that. Spacelas has superb customer service, they always answer my mails, mostly within 24hrs.

You don't need 20+kpps if you are on a budget, unless you are looking for a graphics projector specifically. 12kpps will be enough to run most beamshows smooth.

I am actually looking to make nice / smooth laser show art on my wall as a primary function. :) Beamshows are 2ndary.

Grix said:
Also, are you sure power is not important? A 100mW RGB is going to be very weak, the blue and red will be almost invisible in beamshows.

Thank you for pointing out. I of course want a good balance, but the over all power does not need to be a high power output. As long as it doesn't affect over all quality.

Grix said:
Cheap chinese scanners will most likely be underpowered and have crappy color balance, but at that budget, they are your only choice.

If you are willing to pay just over $500, I reccommend the Hammer RGBV500 from spacelas: Laser show - Beam show Animation show Scanner systems - products - SpaceLas.

The white balace is horrible, but turning down the pot on the green module fixes that. Spacelas has superb customer service, they always answer my mails, mostly within 24hrs.

Very appreciated recommendation! :)

Sounds easy enough, and that one seems equipped with a nice scanner.

I will definitely contact them and see what they can offer incl shipping to Sweden. As it sounds it's a good upgrade for a little extra monies.

Thank you.

Mikael

Grix

Just to give you an idea of price: That projector was $400 + $150 shipped to Norway.

Just to give you an idea of price: That projector was $400 + $150 shipped to Norway.

Just got a reply. $450 + $120 to Sweden. Seems like unit price gone up. :) Trying to negotiate shipping method.

Xer0

The CDS Scanner you linked, is produced by "Pufeng-Lighting", aka PF-114
I bought it there directly for 250$+70$DHL to Germany. with a less-gay BLACK Case !! ;)
had to pay 25€ Taxes at my door, so ~280€ with the Dollar @1,35
White balance is very good, but speed is only 10-15k. see Thread on PL
(I sold it yesterday for nearly the buy price and will build me one self)

The CDS Scanner you linked, is produced by "Pufeng-Lighting", aka PF-114
I bought it there directly for 250$+70$DHL to Germany. with a less-gay BLACK Case !! ;)
had to pay 25€ Taxes at my door, so ~280€ with the Dollar @1,35
White balance is very good, but speed is only 10-15k. see Thread on PL
(I sold it yesterday for nearly the buy price and will build me one self)
sorry to kinda gravedig but found this on google....what is PL?
i wanna see a review of that projector.

they can be kind of eliteist over there. so don't mention you're a laser pointer person LoL

michael

can you also do the standard kaleidoscopic things with this laser projectors on ilda?
Are there shows to download and use for specific songs?

they can be kind of eliteist over there. so don't mention you're a laser pointer person LoL

michael
Great advice-- why mention anything other than labby/ scanner/projector stuff???--

90% will be Ok but the other 10% may not--

so ChipDs advice should be taken. You will not win any debate you enter there concerning Handhelds--PERIOD

( they do not spoonfeed either)

Your collection of pointers/handhelds??JUST DONT GO THERE..

Excellant forum-great bunch of very knowledgeable Pros- do your own searching of course!!-- best place to find info on DYI laser shows.

and LEMs-- never pass up a chance to attend one. you will not be disappointed-well worth the drive..especially SELEM in AUG!!!

hope this helps---hakzaw

And you might want to avoid mentioning anything at all about your own opinions on anything really.. otherwise the PL gestapo will hunt you down.. along with your family and pets.. LOL... there is a clear-cut hierarchy within the US members there, and what they say is FACT.. even if it isn't.

Apologies for ranting.. but my own feelings concerning stuck-up, condescending and generally smug "know-it-alls" is quite well known to PL.. I declared war on the people guilty of the worst infractions, and took a very public dump on the whole damn forum just to make the point in as much of an "in-your-face" way as possible: That simply being knowledgeable doesn't give one the right to try to determine who is worthy of being involved with the laser community as a whole OR determine what resources we (hobbyists and DIYers) can access.. but certain US-based PL members will try to.. and these elitists have even gone so far as to try to block hobbyist access to resources by contacting C***O at various levels requesting that they pull the projectors or alter the design to prevent hobbyist access to inexpensive 445nm diodes, they stand opposed to publicly available US safety/certification information (I know, crazy right?) and any other information that they feel could potentially hurt their income or let the public on to their "secrets" that aren't really secret at all. It's all about greed with a few of the top US members.. mark my words. Anyone opposed to a publicly available safety resource is acting ONLY in their own selfish interests..

Needless to say, I've now made it my purpose in life to share as much info and resources concerning lasers and laser projectors as I can with LPF members and other hobbyists in the interest of undermining these elitist scumbags.

I'm not saying PL should be avoided, it is a GREAT resource even in the face of those who want the laser world all to themselves. Just be careful what you say there.. if you want to make the most of your experience with PL, lurk, lurk and lurk some more.. if you ever have the inclination to contribute.. DON'T.. because if you do end up sharing more information than the "elitists" would like, they'll go all out trying to stop you.. and if you actually help someone, don't expect much thanks for it. Be glad when you do get some kudos, but for the most part the egos amongst the elitist members there are FAR too big to allow for gratitude or appreciation towards what they see as lower forms of life..

But truthfully not everyone there is elitist, most of the international folks and quite a few local folks are amongst the most down-to-earth, knowledgeable and helpful pros I've come across.. Sadly it's a select few of the US "professionals".. I use the term VERY loosely (and not all of them are bad to be sure...) that have MASSIVE sticks up their you-know-whats and think they run the laser world.

You should read some of the things they say there about LPF members.. makes my little rant here about them look like a pat on the back.

Anyhoo, that's PL and we're on LPF so I'll shut up now.. this isn't really the place to discuss PL's issues. I'd like to try to avoid "Bob Hess/Eidetic" type behavior as much as possible which is why I haven't brought up my experiences there before now.

Last edited:
can you also do the standard kaleidoscopic things with this laser projectors on ilda?
Are there shows to download and use for specific songs?

Sorry Borgqueen, got a little off topic there. ILDA allows for software that can make just about any image you desire, be it a kaleidoscope-type output (also called abstract) to a 3d graphic sequence.

Well im pretty good at defending myself with words so yeah...
I can listen to you about how that forum sucks, and to them who say you all suck.
I wont judge neither of forums, so im going to ignore the advise of "dont try to help them". I give them a chance. Il see soon enough if they are asses or not:)
Anyways you guys rule so far so good:)

@elektrofreak: nice thanks.
Ok guys i know i need something expensive but reccomend me below 450 dollars shipped. Its only to see if i like it as hobby....like i saif i first wanted a projector from dx for 50 dollar... Then for 100 dollar something wi pth dmx. And now 450 dollar. Must already be pro stuff, compared with what i first wanted to buy right? :)