Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

RGB hand-held laser

MAN, you sure got THAT right 'brudder' LOL !!!!

FANTASTIC WORK !!!

Look like it came outta NASA or MIT

Yep what an awesome build! Cant wait to see it all come together...

Thanks guys, I've added a photo of the LCD cover being machined .
- hope to get the batt tube done early next week so i can check how it looks when it's all fitted together.
This weekend project is to see if I can get the drivers modded to take TTL modulation...I think this is the last piece of the puzzle.......err no its not, I have some optics experimentation to do to get the red and blue beam divergence to match closer the green.
I think I'll work on that a bit more when the laser is all together and working and I can see how the beam looks using the standard lenses.
ATB
MM

Last edited:

Sander

WoW man this is an amazing looking build.
How many hours did you spend ?? ;)
What will it cost if you made 1 for me ?? ;)
Oh i can't wait to see it running.
I'm looking forward to see all the colors.
Good luck with finishing your 10000dollar baby !

Why TTL? Go analog for something like this, colour fading is awesome :D

Hi Things, Kiz,

Each colour is controlled by a TTL PWM signal so I'll be able to fade each diode. Not as good as analogue, but still should look great. The PWM can have 255 steps on each chanel, but I recon the driver will top out or bottom out well before this, so even if I get only 32 steps per chanel its 32k colours or even 8 visible brightnes steps per channel will be 512 colours.
I can change the PWM freqency in the processor quite easily and I hope to get the driver to work at 2KHz + so the beam shouldn't look flickery or broken as the laser is 'wafted' about :)

I've programmed a function to fade through the range on each of the RGB, so it will fade through reds, oranges greens pink, purples etc. In that function the left right joystick controlls the speed of the fade, so with a stationary beam, its best to have a very slow fade, but moving the beam quickly best to have a fast fade.
One of the aims is to be able to sweep the pointer overhead and get a "vertical nightime rainbow":drool:
There are a few other ideas for cool functions that can be added a bit later once its up and running.

Sander, I don't know how many hrs, but i recon the LCD cover took at least 5 hrs to program and 5 hrs to machine by the time I made the fixture and got everything setup.
The key switch cover took alot longer as it was a bit of a learning curve.
From the original concept to date, the total has got to be hundreds of hrs.

I have made some duplicate parts , just in case I mess up or if anyone wants one. But I have to get the first one working before offering to build any others. To early to give a cost as i dont have it finished, the optics to get the red and blue beam correction could be expeni:cryyy:

Going to bug my brother this week to get the battery tube components finished. I'll post a photo of the body all assembled as soon as those parts are done.

1st post added a drawing of the whole thing assembled to show the size.

Head dia 48.5mm
Battery tube 35mm (using 26650's)
Overall length 266mm

ATB
MM

Last edited:

Things

Got confused by the wording TTL, as usually that refers to simple on and off in laser projectors, and not PWM. Sounds good then.

I wish I had access to a cnc mill and lathe. My last place I could use was sold shortly after I gained access so no machining in my near future untill the new shop is finished. You really have done an amazing job on this all the parts look very professional. I cant wait till you have a finnished project.. +5

Hi, I updated the first post with photos of the battery tube, battery tube end cap and microprocessor housing.
Hope you like it.

ATB
MM

Wow Multi! This thing is off the chain!
Keep it up. You should be setting some sort of record with this one :)

Sander

Ohhhh sweeeeeet mother of earth !!!!
yeah for sure ! maybe you can achieve a world record with the 1st RGB handheld in guiness book of records ??? oh that beast looks very neat !
well done multimode.. oh i love to see that thingy running :)

Wow :) I have been watching this from the start and it looks awesome ! :beer:
You really should finish it up quickly because I just can't wait ! :pop:

+1 :gj:

Last edited: