Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Remember this guy?

WizardG

LPF Site Supporter

They need to point him in the direction of a jail cell. Few more like him and no more lasers.

Razako

Needs prison time IMO. No excuse for what he was doing.

Sta

It's good that they are holding individuals responsible and not just limiting everyone.

Indeed. This is exactly how the law should operate. People like this moron should be fined and/or thrown in jail, and that's that.

as some one who lives in washington state and has ridden the ferries many many times I think this JACKASS needs to be made a example of. My god really what was funny about using a laser that powerful to shine it at a moving ship. Throw the bastard in the klink for a year or two

Pman

Are you suggesting they point him in the direction of a jail cell with a laser VV? ;)
Haven't read the story yet but it does sound like he was warned and can't claim ignorance. He certainly needs to be punished. Thanks for dumping on the rest of us bud. Unfortunately when these things happen it puts responsible users into the guilt by association category. I can guarantee you that there wasn't a single story that even hinted that there are responsible laser owners.

good for the judge!
one kinda new concern I have is--- a terrorist OR ANOTHER IDIOT reads about these laserings and gets an idea from that- either copycat or full blown terrorist. not a good thing either way-this makes the impression that a laser would be a good tool- for a terrorist... when in reality it would be a stretch to think it would cause a crash but that has never stopped them in the past.
-to read about lots of arrests and convictions go to laserpointersafety.org

Pman

Honestly I think a laser would not be worth bothering with for a terrorist (as Len alluded too). There's too many ways to cause real damage that work. Can't see them using a laser other than for some kind of torture.

Benm

I think a $100k fine is out of proportion for this kind of thing really, actually paying that off would result in financial hardship for year or decades for most people.

If there is any money to be paid it should be towards medical costs of the person injured by the laser, not a fine that goes to the state. The fine may actually prevent the ability of paying for medical costs for the victim as the perpetrator will probably be bankrupt and the fine takes precedence over the victims compensation when it needs to be collected.

Another thing to consider is what the victim is actually doing: you can irradiate someone at a distance with laser light that is perfectly safe to the unaided eye, but could be (very) dangerous when that person is looking though binoculars or a telescope. I'm not sure it is fair that anyone pointing a laser around should consider the possibility of someone looking at them through optical aids in general, though in case of a ship this could be expected in this specific case.

This happened literally in my back yard. I don't think anyone should be using a laser pointer in public, whether it is a ferry or the city streets or an arena. This guy didn't seem to learn his lesson from past infractions, but I'm with Ben on this point: the fine should have been used to compensate the injured.