Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Red laser diode roundup

drlava

There are a lot of red 660nm laser diodes available on the market in various forms and from various sellers.  Here's a roundup of what has been and is currently available.  Note the three groups of lasing thresholds.  They seem to be caused by three different resonator lengths, and are related to max. output and voltage drop. All tests were done with aixiz collimators with multi-element glass lenses.

diode_red_roundup.PNG

As more diodes become available, I hope to add to the list.

Here you go guys -- everything needed for red laser design ;D
Finally, no more questions about Ild vs PO. This data is close to my curves and
NOW all together.

Great work DrLava ..........
Mike

Kenom

I'll be saving that picture for future referrence. Thanks for all the work lava.

jayrob

Great work drlava! Really nice to see them all together on one graph! :cool:
Thanks!
Jay

chido

Very nice info, I always save all your graphs for reference in the future, but this one is definitely the master of graphs. You have quite a collection DL. I see my short open can in there. ;D
May I ask where you got the last two diodes? (SLD1239JL (sony) and RLD65PZB5 (Rohm))

drlava

Hi, glad it can be of help to you. The SLD1239JL is one from senkat's 'bad batch' a bit ago, the -54 diode is a sample of what he sells now, much better.

The RLD65PZB5 diode is one from the first red laser diode group buy I did, which took place before LPF existed.

jayrob

drlava said:
Hi, glad it can be of help to you.  The SLD1239JL is one from senkat's 'bad batch' a bit ago, the -54 diode is a sample of what he sells now, much better.

The RLD65PZB5 diode is one from the first red laser diode group buy I did, which took place before LPF existed.

Probably doesn't matter anymore, but it would be interesting to see the earlier Sony/Senkat diode in comparison there. The ones that were before the 'bad batch'.
Jay

Nice graph Doc, that sorts a few thing out for me..........

Regards rog8811

drlava

jayrob said:
it would be interesting to see the earlier Sony/Senkat diode in comparison there. The ones that were before the 'bad batch'.
Jay
True, unfortunately I don't have any and since they aren't currently being sold except on ebay there isn't much point. If someone has one they want to send, it can be included.

Cool - great job.

So the Phazor really does have all those plateaus when you get above 250mW. I thought it might have been my test setup.

Benm

Interesting to see that there are a few cohorts of treshold currents, and as the treshold is pretty much a function of active area size, it would be interesting to find if it could be used to electrically distinguish between diodes. For that they would have to be measured at a standard temperature though.

Switch

May I ask what kind of lens did you use to test them? Would it make a big difference with other types of lenses? :-/

drlava

Switch said:
May I ask what kind of lens did you use to test them? Would it make a big difference with other types of lenses? :-/

Hi, sorry it should have been in there. Aixiz glass lenses were used as a standard collimator.

jayrob

Switch said:

According to those readings, he must have been using an AixiZ acrylic (with plastic cut away). Or equivalent. Right drlava?

If so, I can tell you that an AixiZ glass lens will give roughly the same, or just a little better (less than 10mW's).

However, if you don't mind spending the extra money, a Meredith glass lens will give you about 20% increase in power.

That said, the AixiZ acrylic (plastic cut away), is still the best 'bang for the buck'. Because of the ability to focus better, it is a better burning lens, even at less power!
Jay

Edit: Oh...he answered while I was going on and on...Lol.

Milos

I have tested one of my Phazor diodes and it matches your graph all the way. I left it set outputting 240-250mW at about 360mA.

I also tested this without any lens and its straight out 315-320mW !!!

regards

Milos