Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Re: new Sharp 495nm diode(after testing it confirmed just 488nm)

Re: new Sharp 495nm diode

I wouldn't say much more. My guess is this is sitting at 490nm. It's a little greener when compared side by side, but indistinguishable alone.

Are these 488 diodes rejects or legit scientific samples? If so, some suppliers aren't going to last long with 488 diodes at 2k retail price when we can go on eBay & get one for $300! :pop:

-Alex

Last edited:

I have no idea. I hope sharp is trying to compete with the other big two.

Also, I think it's fair to call this one cyan. It's green sometimes, and blue others. Kinda like the 561 I had was both green and yellow. It's almost irritating to have because of it...

Edit: When not focused to infinity the best I can, there is a strange artifact like CNI described... you don't notice it unless you're right up against it though.

Last edited:

I have no idea. I hope sharp is trying to compete with the other big two.

Also, I think it's fair to call this one cyan. It's green sometimes, and blue others. Kinda like the 561 I had was both green and yellow. It's almost irritating to have because of it...

Edit: When not focused to infinity the best I can, there is a strange artifact like CNI described... you don't notice it unless you're right up against it though.

That would probably make my OCD go into overdrive. Good thing I don't have a 561 in my collection.... yet :)

-Alex

When not focused to infinity the best I can, there is a strange artifact like CNI described... you don't notice it unless you're right up against it though.

That's very bad news. I was hoping that was a one diode problem. I'd like to try figure out what is going on with this diode.

When will we be seeing pictures of your 490nm?

Whenever I can find a camera that I don't need to do too much photo editing with. Hopefully soon... I want to review all 3 of the new sharp diodes.

Edit:

I found a tool in paint.net that lets me at the very least accomplish editing this properly... I just need to be a lot more precise than this edit.

Color is fairly close on my monitor.

Last edited:

drool! that is one hunk of a laser beam. I need to see that in person!

It looks like a full on scifi movie prop

Last edited:

I wonder where it will measure in wavelength. Can't really tell by eyeing it.

How about just a normal beam shot without editing just to get an idea!

After all I just bought one!

Your just going to use a nano boost on it yes!

Last edited:

It was in a self contained fog machine. Did that for better color in the pic. I'll take a new one without any fog when I get back from my buddy's place!

Edit: yes this is running a nano

Last edited:

Funny thing, that color actually looks closer to my pushed NDB7675 than most "cyan" laser pictures I've seen so far.

That's the bad thing about monitors. They all look differently and none give you the same color as another every time. What my laptop "sees" as the color may be way off from someone else's computer monitor shows.

Just a note: editing the picture earlier was only to change the hue from deep blue to light blue.

Before Edit:

After Edit:

Noticed something with my laptop monitor. When I look at the screen top-down, I see it looking blueish, and bottom-up it looks greenish. Kinda like how the thing actually appears in real life. Neat.

Last edited:

Yeah, Zach. With your camera it seems all blue colors look the same. The unedited one could be a 445nm as far as I can tell.

^That is a very nice color! I see you are growing your collection again Z, exciting! All these diodes are making stuff much more affordable for us! :)

-Alex