Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Putting the Puzzle Together (Pg. 2video+Flaming)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok I have never built a laser before so go easy on me here.

Alright I know that in order to build a laser you need:

Diode
Module
Driver
Host

1. Now is that all?

2. The Module like a small heat-sink/tube that holds the Diode. Right?

3. How does the Diode fit in the module? Does it just push in and stay?

4. How do you connect the Diode to the driver?

5. What holds the Module in the host?

6. Where does the Driver sit?

7. Does the Host just consist of the tube?

8. How do you connect the batteries to the Driver?

9. How do you know what batteries to use with the laser?

10. How do you know what Module, Driver, and Diode goes together?

I have read many tutorials but I have failed to find the answer to these questions.

Thanks so much.

Last edited:

IsaacT

Re: Putting the Puzzle Together

I have read many tutorials as well, and while I think I have a grasp on some of these questions, some of them still I am still lost on so thank you for starting this thread, even if people come in and point you immediately to some other thread...atleast then we know where to go, yes?

I am hoping they don't just say "Search" or point to different threads and that they just answer them and maybe turn into a good Sticky.

TTerbo

we need to know what wavelength of laser you are making before we can help you

Um I didn't know specifics mattered on any of these I meant them as general questions. I guess I will go with a 445nm for the sake of this thread.

Toast with utmost respect I don't think anyone on here is going to spoon feed You the answers You seek. I'll say it if no one else does the SEARCH feature is Your friend, and every question You have asked has been answered numerous times. A 445nm might not be the best laser for You to build 1st. A red is the way to go, as it will be cheaper and safer for You to start there. I will provide You specific answer to Questions in a PM after You do some research.

No Offense Intended.

I think you typed more in your excuse not to answer than it would've taken to just answer.

Also I said 445nm for the sake of this thread.

As CL said noone is going to spoon feed you, try searching the tutorials and when you think you have figured it out then ask quetions :)

Ash

Ok I have never built a laser before so go easy on me here.

Alright I know that in order to build a laser you need:

Diode
Module
Driver
Host

1. Now is that all?

2. The Module like a small heat-sink/tube that holds the Diode. Right?

3. How does the Diode fit in the module? Does it just push in and stay?

4. How do you connect the Diode to the driver?

5. What holds the Module in the host?

6. Where does the Driver sit?

7. Does the Host just consist of the tube?

8. How do you connect the batteries to the Driver?

9. How do you know what batteries to use with the laser?

10. How do you know what Module, Driver, and Diode goes together?

I have read many tutorials but I have failed to find the answer to these questions.

Thanks so much.

I am in the spoon-feeding mood today, so I will try to answer your questions.

1. Nope, you will also need a battery (to power the laser) and a test-load (to set the current on the driver before attaching a diode).
2. Yes
3. The diode is press-fit snugly (and straight) into the laser module (usually using a "vice" or similar "press")
4. You connect the (+) pin of the diode to the (+) pad of the driver, and the (-) diode pin to the (-) pad of the driver. As for the 3rd pin, it depends on what diode you are using (PHR, AW-210, LCC, LOC, Casio 445, etc...) as to whether the last pin should be connected to the "case" or the "neg" or "pos" pads on the driver.
5. The module simply slides into the host's heatsink (machined aluminum [or copper] cylinder) and is usually fixed in place using a small set-screw.
6. The driver is usually directly connected to the diode pins (on one side) and the other side should have a spring (or other connection to the battery).
7. The host is usually a flashlight (or similar) that has had it's guts ripped out so a laser can be installed within, not just a tube.
8. You connect the battery to the driver via a spring (as mentioned above), or by using some of the flashlight's parts (battery-pad) connected with wires.
9. You determine what batteries to use based on your host (what will fit), and based on what driver you are using [the current required for the driver+diode (could be 3v-12V required depending on driver you use)].
10. You decide what diode goes with what driver, and almost everyone is using the Aixiz modules as they are 12mm in diameter, and most heat-sinks are designed for 12mm (diameter) modules.

-Hope this helps- :beer:

Apparently no one read this.

As CL said noone is going to spoon feed you, try searching the tutorials and when you think you have figured it out then ask quetions :)

You didn't either I suppose...

I will provide You specific answer to Questions in a PM after You do some research.

No Offense Intended.

It offends me that you didn't read my entire post.:cryyy:

Thank you Ash. Finally a friendly face. I tried searching "What is the role of a host" but I didn't get anything so searching a question is kind of fail right there.

So to recap, the driver is soldered onto the diode and is just loosely in the host? Also where is a good place to get matching parts? I seen Jayrob has kits and such but where do people no using his its buy from?

Also Is a lens needed or is that part of the diode?

I have learned that this community is arrogant from what I seen. Editing the Tags and not helping someone who wants to get started in the laser field and need additional help.

I don't have a lot of money which is why I want to be sure of myself, reducing the chances of a screw up.

Last edited:

Also Is a lens needed or is that part of the diode?

The diode will put out a large splash of light without a lense. An aspherical lense will collimate the ouput into a usable beam.
Other diodes, like multimode diodes will not focus so well and will require extra optics to correct the output to achieve a beam.
Lenses will also come in plastic and glass varieties aswell as those that are AR coated(anti-reflective) or uncoated.

Last edited:

Even the place you linked me to did not answer my questions.. Where does the lens fit in the host? I don't understand that part, I know it is infront of the diode but what holds it in.

The Module is the Heart of the Build. The diode is pressed in one end and the Lens is screwed into the other end.

What you're asking about is the aiXis module! You'll get to know them well!

Its a miniature host that we use to hold the diode snuggly, (is that a word?) with a pressed fit, and the same thing that has threads in front of the diode, where you screw in a lens of your choosing! See here:

fit_diode1.jpg

Aixiz%20Module%20Single.JPG

That black thing is the lens.

This module I what we slide into a larger host, for better heatsinking, and to protect the driver if you have one installed inside the module.

Last edited:

There is no possible way you read anything at all on making a laser, its insanely obvious by your questions.

The utter fail of this thread is just too much for me. Why is everyone so lazy anymore?

Status
Not open for further replies.