Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Putting the Puzzle Together (Pg. 2video+Flaming)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ash

Re: Putting the Puzzle Together

So to recap, the driver is soldered onto the diode and is just loosely in the host? Also where is a good place to get matching parts? I seen Jayrob has kits and such but where do people no using his its buy from?

Also Is a lens needed or is that part of the diode?

I have learned that this community is arrogant from what I seen. Editing the Tags and not helping someone who wants to get started in the laser field and need additional help.

I don't have a lot of money which is why I want to be sure of myself, reducing the chances of a screw up.
Not exactly. If you pressed the diode into an Aixiz module, then soldered the diode pins onto the (+) and (-) pads of the driver, you would have one "solid" piece that is supported by the "tight-fit" of the diode in the module. The driver just sticks out the back of the module/heatsink combo.
LDD-10_300.jpg

If you don't want to get a kit (or just heatsink) from Jayrob, you can machine one yourself (assuming you have access to a lathe or machine shop), or ask a forum member to machine you one. But, in reality, that will be much more expensive than just buying a bare host with everything you need.
Look, here's an entire kit (including driver and diode) for about $23 (US):
100mW Focusing Laser Kit - Detailed item view - OdicForce Lasers Online Shop
You may want to start learning with something like that (cheap and easy).

Yes. Forgot to mention the lens. :eek: You will surely need a lens that fits (threads) into the front of your module in order to focus the laser light to a point or collimate it to a beam. Many modules come with an acrylic lens that screws right into the module. (warning acrylic can only be used for powers <200mW)

Okay, so you have had less than a warm welcome to the forums. Sorry to hear that, but please don't immediately conclude that LPF members are "arrogant" or "rude". The fact is that just about every week (without fail) someone comes along with almost the same exact questions as you, and after a few years of it, spoonfeeding the same information over-and-over to different people gets old very fast. This is why there are "stickies".
We would rather teach you how to find the info on your own. :D

LPF members help those who help themselves :bday:

There is no possible way you read anything at all on making a laser, its insanely obvious by your questions.

The utter fail of this thread is just too much for me. Why is everyone so lazy anymore?

Actually I did read quite a bit but the picture tutorials just didn't work for me, I didn't see how everything went together. If you dont have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all.

Okay, so you have had less than a warm welcome to the forums. Sorry to hear that, but please don't immediately conclude that LPF members are "arrogant" or "rude". The fact is that just about every week (without fail) someone comes along with almost the same exact questions as you, and after a few years of it, spoonfeeding the same information over-and-over to different people gets old very fast. This is why there are "stickies".
We would rather teach you how to find the info on your own. :D

I couldn't find a sticky in the tutorial section that made me completely understand what was going on.

So far Meatball and Ash have been the only helpful people here, and it's kinda sad.

Meatball, does the spring go after the diode but before the lens? thanks

Guides to the rescue!

Toaster, there's a comprehensive summary of what every component does by Morgan. It's the first link in my signature.

The second one is my guide, which is a more in-depth walkthrough on selecting parts, and the actual build process.

Building your first laser's always a rewarding experience, be safe and have fun!

Its not that I dont know what the parts do, its how they interact and physically where they go.

Also Blood, in the picture of the Olike driver, where is the spring for the battery? i dont get the driver to battery part...

Last edited:

IsaacT

Guides to the rescue!

Toaster, there's a comprehensive summary of what every component does by Morgan. It's the first link in my signature.

The second one is my guide, which is a more in-depth walkthrough on selecting parts, and the actual build process.

Building your first laser's always a rewarding experience, be safe and have fun!

Thank you for having those links, goninanbl00d

Kevlar

Its not that I dont know what the parts do, its how they interact and physically where they go.

Have you discovered Jayrob's Tutorials? When I was first researching my first build I found them very helpful.

Link: http://laserpointerforums.com/f39/jayrob-build-kits-lenses-other-stuff-listed-here-44227.html :beer:

Between Jayrob's tutorials, and the ones goninanbl00d suggested (they are also in my sig), it should answer most of the basic questions you have.

Good luck!

Morgan

With respect Toaster, it ain't something people CAN teach you over the interwebz. You have to just give it a go. There are plenty of pictures of green modules in all kinds of online stores that'll show you where the spring goes.

If you want to build a laser then dive in and buy some parts. Ash linked to a great starter laser with full instructions and all the parts are included and it really can't go wrong unless you are not able to solder. If you are having trouble with the tutorials then this is probably the best way to get a handle on how the parts go together. There is also a review of this kit in the, "Reviews", section that shows the instructions and the parts you get.

Most successful members here read for weeks before attempting their first build. It takes time to trawl the threads and posts but it must be done by the individual else everything you don't understand becomes a question asked and we all know the info is there somewhere. As Ash says, LPF helps those that help themselves. Getting antsy is not going to help. Either with the members here or building a laser! Patience is an essential piece of your laser building toolkit.

M
:)

Last edited:

Toaster, I joined this LPF not to long ago, I didnt understand much of anything, I have been doing my own research on here to understand what each of the laser parts do and have found everthing i need to make me understand by doing searches for keywords like module, heatsink, ld, and what ever else i could find. The forum has mass's amount of info for every part of a laser.. I am amazed at how much info is on here and
THANK ALL MEMBERS for there reviews and infomation that they have put up and the forum

Blulase

If you want to build a laser then dive in and buy some parts.

M

Thanks Morgan, I got frustrated by the people here that are just being strait up assholes. I am so confused where to buy parts and I am worried that I will buy parts that dont work together or waste money making smoke. I would like to make pens because I really dont like the big flashlights. but will probably have to do a big one first. Maybe I will PM you to check over my parts.

The only thing I DONT know is where to buy things like modules and drivers and pen hosts/lenses

Last edited:

IsaacT

Those can be found all over the place...looking in the companies section should show you trusted companies, and then look on their sites to find your materials

ok I found the modules. now what type of laser should I build to start? (What NM) also, looking for drivers now. (Most confusing part) and diodes..

Morgan

If you've not built a laser before the best practice you can get is digging out some old DVD rewriters and extracting the diodes from those. You may find junk, you may find a nice 660nm red. Either way these can be scrounged from your local PC repair shop if they're broken and they often are happy not to have to dispose of the materials. You won't feel like you have to be too careful, as they'll be free, but you will be introduced to your basic laser diode!

Drivers are much of a muchness as they all do the same job. In different ways, with different inputs granted but not a major headache. There are only two types; linear and boost, (okay three, buck/boost as well). For a first build I would suggest a red from a scrounged DVD and a linear driver like the RKCSTR, (or better yet build a DDL for practice). Drivers can be bought from the, "Pro Shop", section or "B/S/T", section or places like Modwerx or Stonetek. Also have a look at that link given by Ash. You are worried about kit not matching, well that's all been taken care of and is still probably going to be cheaper than sourcing the parts yourself. The goods on that site and the others mentioned will not let you down, they are reputable.

There are things you need to research beforehand and you can do this on your own, (in fact, you must because it would take too much time if everyone were led by the hand and would stop us all from enjoying our hobby). Check out other people's builds, note down the common factors like diode/driver/battery combinations. Driver current outputs/optical outputs. Voltage differences for different diodes. These things have to be hunted down to gain maximum satisfaction. Otherwise just buy a ready built one.

You will need tools too...

Goninanbl00d has given the link in his sig. They are the same in mine so read them thoroughly and follow the other links within them. Read, read and then read again. It really is the only way.

If you have a question for the forum, make it specific. A question like, "What sort of laser should I build to start?", is a bit vague. It's like asking what icecream should you get. I don't know your taste, your skill level, your budget, whether you like raspberry or strawberry... These things you have to choose yourself. Decide after looking around.

Be creative in your use of the search box. If I were building my first laser, I might try, "My First Build", (and variation thereon), to see if anyone else has posted theirs. What did they do, how did they do it, can I do that? Read the thread, there is usually a parts list in every one and where they were bought. Read, read and then read again.

LPF is a huge store of info. You should be able to find what you need to build your first one without too much guidance, (if you are unable to do that then you may want to seek outside help for the necessary skills). If you break a few diodes on the way... Welcome to the laser hobby!

Good luck.

M

I have some 20 odd computers around here, and a lot of dvd r/rw drives laying around so I am going to try to find the Diode somewhere in there. I am going to get a lot of modules and then I dont know what to (Driver wise) or do i just take wires and stick them on a battery, ha.

I have a soldering iron and I am fairly expierienced with electronics. I have built computers for people for years. I just am so confused on the currents required for the diode. What wave length are Dvd writers? I dont wanna fry my eye!!! Lol Also how do I know what driver I need for a Ghetto Dvd diode. lol

Search LM317 driver or DDL driver.

Also, you can search DVD diode and I guarantee you will find the answer to your second question.

Finally there is a sticky in the "experiments and modifications" section that will help you some.

If you can't find this info after all the help you've gotten in this thread you are hopeless, You might as well go buy a laser or watch a kipkay video.

Well that was kind of rude sir.

Morgan

For pontiac... ;)

6dvpe9.jpg

Flame on!

M

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.