Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Problems with LPF loading

I'm relaying a message from Sigurthr:

Hi Styro,
Since the last update LPF won't load for me at all. I keep getting errors and timeouts when trying to load it. I know it isn't just my computer because my phone (iOS) can't load it either. The site doesn't appear to be down either. I was wondering if perhaps you could PM Daguin or C0ldshadow my email address and let them know that the update has caused some problem? I'd really appreciate it.

Sincerely,
Sig @ LPF

I just decided to post it here so whichever mod sees this first can try helping him out, PM me for his email address. Thanks!

DTR

I have received several emails about it last night and it has been happening to me as well today. Chrome keeps giving me the Opps we cant load laserpointerforums.com and Internet explorer says it is a DNS error. It seems hit and miss like the site is going up and donw constantly.:(

I actually just got a time out while trying to submit this reply. But I just hit back and submit again without issue.:tinfoil:

Last edited:

c0ldshadow

LPF Founder / Admin
Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
hey guys, LPF had a DDoS attack late night (this is not unusual see attached screen shot for the bandwidth info) and my host automatically put countermeasures in place to stop the attack

i have contacted them to verify they are reducing a few restrictions which could have been too strict , as wouldn't want to block valid traffic on error

please update me in this thread but things should be better shortly if they are not already

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    17.9 KB · Views: 111
Last edited:

c0ldshadow

LPF Founder / Admin
Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
hi team, firehost just made some changes to the mitigation.

please verify if stuff is working better now
peace

DTR

Not yet. Just now spent a few minutes trying to get on.
httplaserpointerforumsc.png

c0ldshadow

LPF Founder / Admin
Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
edit, not sure the reason why that's happening but i'm gonna research it based on your IP. i will keep u posted

Last edited:

c0ldshadow

LPF Founder / Admin
Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
rebooting server in a sec to see if that resolves any remaining issues

It seems to be loading faster than I have ever seen it load before...

DTR

It does seem to be better now but I still get the time out while trying to PM.:beer:

Thanks for the quick fix! :beer:

It's interesting the balance that you have to have to keep a site clean and safe!

Thanks Styro!!!

Yes it seems we're being DDoS'd. Lame. I first thought it was a forum update gone bad.

I'm now (as of the last two hours) able to log in via my iPhone, but my computers are all unable to connect.

Thanks for everything you're doing to keep us operational, Avery!

Not sure if you've already considered solutions like this, but I've found it to be a good way of handling potentially malicious users and cutting down on bandwidth:

http://www.cloudflare.com/

It's not a "conventional" solution, but it's low-maintenance and simple for a smaller site, and might well be worthwhile on LPF too?

c0ldshadow

LPF Founder / Admin
Staff member
LPF Site Supporter
hey guys

my webhost specializes in security: Secure Cloud Hosting, Managed Server Hosting | FireHost

they automatically block various attacks involving SQLi,CSRF,XSS, and have solutions to mitigate DDoS (this generally works flawlessly w/ no impact to users... i get ddosed quite a bit).

firehost is arguably the best webhost for security. i work in the security field and these guys are sharp. i like having a second said of eyes on issues.

firehost is expensive but you get what you pay for and i'm willing to do everything possible to protect LPF from attacks.

kevin mitnick uses firehost=)

i would highly recommend them to anyone looking for a webhost

peace
-ave

(replying to the other related thread)

Woohoo! I'm able to access the site on my computer now! No errors or timeouts and everything is loading fast. Thanks Avery!

Edit: I spoke too soon! Right after I posted site was down for me for nearly half an hour, haha. Seems to be back now though /shrug

Last edited: