Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Post your random pics!

Gabe

Hey everybody, I haven't checked in for a while! Thought I'd share what I've been up to. I've been getting deeper and deeper into astrophotography, and the particularly tricky area of deep space astrophotography. I'm doing quite well! Here are some of my most recent pics, all could be improved and all are massive improvements over my previous attempts at the same targets. I did some maths and for some of my very good images, I was able to extract detail out of light sources emitting light as dim as 1 photon per minute!! These areas are the outside blue filaments of the Orion Nebula (pic 2) and the faint outer glow of the Andromeda Galaxy (pic 4). The first pic is of the Leo Triplet of galaxies, plus one other Galaxy to the right. The third pic is of the Flame Nebula and the Horsehead Nebula surrounding the bright star Alnitak, the leftmost star in Orion's Belt. I'm not actually very happy with how this one turned out, but it's still nice enough to share. Enjoy! :D

OkF8VhD.jpg

3cK7QUF.jpg

c4sRtg7.jpg

hA9hfOi.jpg

What telescope are you using to take these photos with, Gabe? They are almost too good. + Rep.

Gabe

What telescope are you using to take these photos with, Gabe? They are almost too good. + Rep.

Thanks Paul, good to hear from you again. I have a William Optics Z61, 61mm aperture and f/5.9. I have a small tracking mount too, I can carry my entire imaging rig in a backpack!

Yes, Im curious too. I have been watching J.W. Astronomy videos on you tube lately, and almost considered buying a setup like his since the mount and scoope have a 2 day delivery option. :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RUk1xk-WDs

This is my first imaging rig, and I find it perfect. The mount is a Sky Watcher Star Adventurer fyi

Last edited:
I'm surprised you get such good images with a relatively small scope. Shows what I know about astral photography.

Gabe

I'm surprised you get such good images with a relatively small scope. Shows what I know about astral photography.

I was certainly surprised too. It's really closer to a telephoto lens than a telescope, and I'm not using extraordinarily long exposures either. Currently it feels like human error and my processing techniques are what's holding me back, not my scope.

Well, keep posting your photos. I love seeing them. It is too cloudy where I am to get nice clean shots like that. I have thought about getting into a good telescope for many years, but haven't yet because I would have to travel to get a clear sky. Maybe at the summit of Mt. Rainier.

Gabe

Well, keep posting your photos. I love seeing them. It is too cloudy where I am to get nice clean shots like that. I have thought about getting into a good telescope for many years, but haven't yet because I would have to travel to get a clear sky. Maybe at the summit of Mt. Rainier.

Thanks for the encouragement, I'll keep it up! Washington state is a pretty rough place to be if you're looking for clear skies :D
I do have to travel out of the city if I want to take photos as good as the ones I've posted, light pollution is pretty bad where I live. I'm afraid of forest fire smoke ruining things this summer, do you have that issue where you live as well?

There have been some fires in Washington, but none near to where I am. It is far too wet now to get anything going here now. I think we had some north of here last summer. It is pretty wet here much of the time. Lots of green everywhere. You don't get that variety without a lot of rain.

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
Amazing pics Gabe. Those are fantastic shots of space. It's nice to see you posting. :beer: +rep

Gabe

Thank you for the kind words guys! Nice to see everybody again. Im always surprised at the exponential nature of the rep system. I still somehow need to spread some of the love around before I can rep some of you again.