Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Post your random pics!

Thanks Paul, and everyone else! :)

Small city (pop. ~18,000) in the middle of nowhere, nearest town bigger than ~100 people (Dettah) is 100km away and that's only something like ~2000 people. Makes for really low light pollution.

Don't need to go far to get perfect darkness - 20 minutes out on the highway is plenty, but even in town the light pollution isn't too bad. That last picture was taken on the ice road heading across Yellowknife Bay over to a small town called Dettah. I was only 1km or so town the road which is probably 10-15km long, so still really close to town.

Edit:

This one was submitted to CBC news:

16195326_10158332375190413_9159784793415399292_n.jpg

I thought as much. It seems that your exposure time was quite fast as there is no blurring of the stars or any part of the background. That CBC photo reminds me of a time when I was in Montana just north of Yellowstone. It would get bitterly cold there. :D

diachi

I thought as much. It seems that your exposure time was quite fast as there is no blurring of the stars or any part of the background. That CBC photo reminds me of a time when I was in Montana just north of Yellowstone. It would get bitterly cold there. :D

I'd have liked a longer exposure actually, but my camera only goes to 15 seconds at ISO 80 unfortunately. There's people working on hacked software for various Canon cameras, hopefully they'll come out with a version for my camera that will allow that!

It's interesting weather for sure, bitterly cold is sometimes an understatement! :p

Wonderful images Gabe and diachi !!
And fantastic VR renders Curtis, great detail on those.

Looking forward to more, guys.

RB

:beer:

diachi

So theres this place in the middle of nowhere, NewBrunswick, Canada, where waterfalls freeze over and form "caves". Some classmates and I went on a hike there and I brought my DSLR and got some pretty cool pictures.

Link to the full Album of photos: Norton Ice Cave - Album on Imgur

Hey cool! We have ice caves here too! Friend of mine had his wedding photo taken out there. I still haven't managed to get out there, I should make a point of it while the weather is at a warm -10C to -15C or so!

DSC_1179_FLR.jpg

samantha-and-alex-yellowknife-winter-engagement-7.jpg

Last edited:

diachi

Gave the argon some exercise tonight.

AV2oVvo.jpg

And with 0.5W 445:

lFe0ddf.jpg

Next to the 445 the 488 looks much more green to the eye, on its own it looks more cyan as in the pictures. 488 is a funny one ... It's a green that's sometimes somewhat blue and a blue that's sometimes somewhat green.

Excuse the messy apartment!

Last edited:

diachi

You should see the shop when I'm in the middle of
a project... I wish it looked like your apartment.:beer:

Love the binbox cabinets... Are those for spices ??

Jerry

Haha, yeah, this place has been worse. At least you have a shop! :p I wish I had that extra space!

There's really not a whole lot of space for hobby stuff in a 640 square foot apartment...

You mean the little shelves sitting to the left of the lasers? That's where most of my electronics components are stored, and some tools and miscellaneous things. My LaserBee LPM goes in there too. Everything's labeled and organized... can't say the same for anything else in this place.

Picked them up at Canadian tire, in the tool storage section.

Spices go in the cupboard above the stove. ;)

Gabe

Great pics Blarg, they look even better at full res. I really liked photo #16ish in the imgur gallery, with the ice on the tree branches. Love when that happens, you captured it well.

AV2oVvo.jpg

And with 0.5W 445:

lFe0ddf.jpg

Next to the 445 the 488 looks much more green to the eye, on its own it looks more cyan as in the pictures. 488 is a funny one ... It's a green that's sometimes somewhat blue and a blue that's sometimes somewhat green.

On my computer the 445nm looks violet and the argon looks cyan. As soon as I get back to being able to get arounbd I need to exercise my argon too.

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
Wonderful images Gabe and diachi !!
And fantastic VR renders Curtis, great detail on those.

Looking forward to more, guys.

RB

:beer:

Thanks RB :beer:

Hey cool! We have ice caves here too! Friend of mine had his wedding photo taken out there. I still haven't managed to get out there, I should make a point of it while the weather is at a warm -10C to -15C or so!

DSC_1179_FLR.jpg

samantha-and-alex-yellowknife-winter-engagement-7.jpg
Very nice pictures Diachi. :D

AV2oVvo.jpg

And with 0.5W 445:

lFe0ddf.jpg

Also lovely argon. I find that 589 has this effect as well. Must be due to the cones balancing out colour.

Last edited:
Do they give you a vest and a helmet when you are working in the field?
----edit----
Maybe that's not a good question, never mind that, but interesting job you have...well all the scenery looks the same huh?
You do have a clear view of the horizon, have you seen any wild looking "ufo" type lights around at night?

Admit it Chris, you're an other world visitor and you are trying to phone home aren't you? :na:

Last edited: