Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Post your random pics!

Look ma', I finally got me a tripod! I put it to good use as well, taking this picture:

slip%20to%20services%20from%20Tarn%20Lane%20wide%202_edit_half%20size_zpsirlcdipk.jpg

That picture doesn't look like anything special, but diverges into my other hobby and showcases an extremely rare thing on UK roads - a mercury vapour street light still standing and working, and on a main road. And when I say rare, I mean the same kind as Sta's multiline Spartan 589 rare... mercury vapour is almost unheard of here, and basically IS unheard of on the side of a motorway!

here's another one from the services entrance, mercury vapour in all its off-white glory:

slip%20to%20services%20opposing%20side%202%20half%20size_zpsnlcigjgw.jpg

:drool:

Just WOW, trencheel303!! :drool:

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
Nice images Trencheel. :) +rep
Also you are right, I don't think I have ever seen one in use down south. It is always the sodium or led street lamps round here.

Nice images Trencheel. :) +rep
Also you are right, I don't think I have ever seen one in use down south. It is always the sodium or led street lamps round here.

Yes, especially in Londonshire mercury (and to an extent SOX) has been mostly extinct for a while. I gather Greater London lighting is generally kept quite modern. Although, there is a tiny little pocket of suburban Maidenhead that bizarrely hosts a whole bunch of mercury lanterns. It's just one part of a cul-de-sac, but it almost looks intentional.

Last edited:

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
Yes. I get the best of both worlds where I live. I'm on the outskirts of the m25. When you crossover into havering it is mostly led's lining the dual carriageway. Yet streetlights on my side are still sodium in places. My town is really one of few to have access to some London benefits whilst remaining rural/suburban.

Right.. c**p photo time :wave:

Now that I have a tripod I tried my hand (again) at astrophotography. Although this is one subject I'd love to nail, I've never had much luck in the past. The only time I've produced half decent star trails was a few years ago on film, and even that was using a friend's camera as mine had failed.

When I went to take these, I realised I didn't have a working remote for my camera to use bulb mode, so I was locked to 30 second exposures or less.

Here's Orion and the Pleiades above it:

the%20Pleiades%20and%20Orion_zpszzkpmcub.jpg

The Pleiades up close:

The%20Pleiades_zpsv42nzqbm.jpg

The southern section of Orion below his belt - this is my favourite. Can you spot the horsehead nebula?

Below%20Orions%20Belt%20-%20Horsehead%20Nebula_zpssuelntst.jpg

And finally, the horsehead nebula at 100% crop. I need better gear before I can do this justice.

horsehead%20nebula%2085mm%20full%20crop_zpskheiwpqk.jpg

EDIT: Yikes, photobucket has rekt the quality!!

Last edited:
The southern section of Orion below his belt - this is my favourite. Can you spot the horsehead nebula?

And finally, the horsehead nebula at 100% crop. I need better gear before I can do this justice.

Nice shooting buddy !
I'm afraid though, that's not the Horsehead Neb.
It's the Orion Nebula.
The Horsehead is much smaller and dimmer.
It's the Orion Neb that is that bright and in dark skies is visible to the naked eye.

In your shot the Horsehead would appear here:

orion-trench.jpg

RB

:beer:

Oh bugger. I've been getting that wrong then for .. quite a long time. Thanks for the clarification!

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
Nice images Trencheel. You captured my favourite part of the night sky. :)

Last edited:
Right.. c**p photo time :wave:

Now that I have a tripod I tried my hand (again) at astrophotography. Although this is one subject I'd love to nail, I've never had much luck in the past. The only time I've produced half decent star trails was a few years ago on film, and even that was using a friend's camera as mine had failed.

When I went to take these, I realised I didn't have a working remote for my camera to use bulb mode, so I was locked to 30 second exposures or less.

Here's Orion and the Pleiades above it:

the%20Pleiades%20and%20Orion_zpszzkpmcub.jpg

The Pleiades up close:

The%20Pleiades_zpsv42nzqbm.jpg

EDIT: Yikes, photobucket has rekt the quality!!
Wow. Ive only been able to capture the moon but these are really fantastic.

Gadget

Wow...nice shots for just a cam.

How 'bout some tiny stuff to go along with those massive shots.

Macro-electronics%2004%20HDR_zpsinnjjllq.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

And a laser emitter just for the hell of it.

Macro-Macro-532%20pump%2002_zpshhsh21ar.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:

diachi

Cool pictures Trencheel and Gadget!

The Orion Nebula looks awesome even with just a pair of binoculars. As does the The Pleiades!

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
The Pleiades are amazing to look at even by the naked eye.

I made this excel plot recently of Orion to test out my star data accuracy. I'm featuring real constellations in my VR space, so have had to convert stars to xyz to do so. But using Ra and Dec produces a lovely 2d plot.

Amazing shots of that laser diode and electronics Gadget. :)

Attachments

• orion png.png
    orion png.png
    10.5 KB · Views: 54
Last edited:
The Pleiades are amazing to look at even by the naked eye.
I made this excel plot recently of Orion to test out my star data accuracy. :)

Very nice Curtis.

Well, my family and I headed down to the Sydney CBD for a nice Saturday afternoon stroll around our beautiful city and to celebrate our 30th wedding anniversary - me, my wife and our eight kids. :crackup:
Did some sightseeing, lots of walking, some shopping, then to a beautiful dinner at a nice Italian restaurant, then got some desserts from a fantastic Ice Creamery in the evening and tried to walk off all the calories we accumulated during the day.

Here's a few snapshots of our city I'd like to share with you:

The Sydney Harbour Bridge from the Overseas Passenger Terminal at Circular Quay.

P1070107-pro.jpg

There was a Cruise Ship in town and so we went to see how people enjoy themselves on board.
Here's a slippery young dude enjoying one of the ship's many facilities:

P1070094-pro.jpg

The Sydney Opera House at dusk:

P1070161-pro.jpg

And the House with it's vibrant Nightlife atmosphere:

P1070170-pro.jpg

I hope you enjoy !

RB

:beer:

Last edited:

CurtisOliver

LPF Site Supporter
Thank you :) Congratulations on your wedding anniversary. 8 kids, how do you manage your laser budget with that many. :D

Very nice clear photos! My favourites are the first and last one. The first looks like a postcard shot, whilst the last captures the scene wonderfully. :beer:

Last edited:
Thank you :) Congratulations on your wedding anniversary. 8 kids, how do you manage your laser budget with that many. :D

Very nice clear photos! My favourites are the first and last one. The first looks like a postcard shot, whilst the last captures the scene wonderfully. :beer:

Thank you for those kind words Curtis.
Glad you liked them.

:D

Beautiful shots, it looks like great summer weather too, unlike the 10 degree F with about 7" of snow on the ground here in NJ