Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Post Your GUN (PICS)

since this is a gun thread, i will post a question. my bro and i each got a .45 at the same time about 2 years ago. and we have the similar small gun safes. he doesn't pull his out often but the last time he did it has a lot of rust on the top. his is a nickle plated Para .45. any comments on why, and how to remove?

also, we live in riverside california. a generally dry place and our house doesn't have any leaks or a humidifier.

michael
I can't think of any reason that would be besides bad care. He probably used wd-40 to clean it or something like that. I'm not sure how to get rid of the rust, the finish is probably ruined....

Nevermind, I just looked it up, WD40 is OK to use on nickel, it just might make it less shiny. However, if he used a barrel cleaning or ammonia based solvent that's bad. Those will strip nickel immediately, apparently.

since this is a gun thread, i will post a question. my bro and i each got a .45 at the same time about 2 years ago. and we have the similar small gun safes. he doesn't pull his out often but the last time he did it has a lot of rust on the top. his is a nickle plated Para .45. any comments on why, and how to remove?

also, we live in riverside california. a generally dry place and our house doesn't have any leaks or a humidifier.

michael

Most everyone I know will put some type of desiccant in their safes regardless of where they live. Rust can form for a number of reasons. It is good to pull them out every now and again and wipe them down with protectant. The rust should come off with solvent that is approved for his finish. If it is well oiled or protected with silicone it should be fine. If it persists the gun can always be refinished.

There was a guy that had rust form on his weapon after a long day of carrying it. The sweat would get to it, but it would always clean right off.

michael

Wait, the nickel "rusted"? :thinking: Then you got problems....

If the nickel corroded or worn off and somehow there is bare steel exposed, that can certainly rust very easily. I'd get it looked at by a gunsmith, nickel coatings can be replaced.

My Beretta 682 receiver was corroding on the bottom of the gun from sweat exposure, so I had the receiver stripped and electroless nickel plated, and I haven't had a single problem since. I clean it off every time I use it, and wipe it with one of those silicone-impregnated clothes, since my guns are always stored for at least a month, and maybe as much as 6 months, between uses. I've had some bluing wear off since then (the forearm iron was re-blued when the receiver was plated, I wish they had just plated it too, but they just re-blued it) but the receiver doesn't show any wear at all.

I have a good/awful horror story about corrosion too, though. I knew a guy, friend-of-a-friend type deal, who had an SCO-grade Perazzi shotgun, we're talking a $25,000-range shotgun. He stored it in the case that came with it, and of course used those flannel "pajamas" I always called them, but nice, soft, cloth bags inside the hard case. You put each piece in it's bag then strap the gun into the case with the bag providing some extra protection. Well he didn't shoot often, and left the gun in the case, but accidentally left the drawsting of that cloth bag hanging outside of the hard case. Some time, there was a spill; dog's water bowl, glass of water, something, and thinking nothing of the fact it was next to the hard gun case, he just moved the case. A few months later, he opened the gun case to discover that water had apparently wicked up the draw string, and completely soaked the cloth bags with enclosed his $25,000 gun. Needless to say, the gun was DESTROYED. There were places where the barrel was literally rusted into multiple pieces, the rib was completely off of the barrel. Needless to say, I'm very careful with my gun's pajamas any more. I added an extra handful of those desiccant "chiclet" packs that come in electronics to my gun case as well, to help keep moisture out since I live about a mile from the ocean.

Last edited:
My in-laws dog chewed on the stock of my <1 week old over/under 12ga shotgun.
A little Pomeranian thing too...

:lasergun:

My in-laws dog chewed on the stock of my <1 week old over/under 12ga shotgun.
A little Pomeranian thing too...

:wtf:
that sucks. And O/Us are expensive too.... :yabbmad:
But I gotta ask, how did one of those dinky little pests get ahold of your 12ga?

It was still in the box it arrived in sitting in my room.
Dog chewed through the box and then found the walnut stock.

:cryyy: how much for a new stock? I figure depending on the O/U, the wood furniture could be the cheapest part...

$200-$300

I ended up leaving it. I got the gun to shoot clays. Not to look at.
Still works. It's just not cosmetically perfect. I like to shoot & carry my guns.

You could always make up a cool story, like that you fought off a rabid wolf with it when you ran out of ammunition... :crackup:

Uh-oh... I wouldn't count too much on that thing if I were you... :whistle:
You would think, but it has several thousand rounds through it, with ONE cleaning, and maybe 2 jams. Sure its heavy, but it has always worked for me.
Im in the process of polishing the slide right now. It already looks a million times better. Especially with a new grip on it and my custom made shorter mag.

You would think, but it has several thousand rounds through it, with ONE cleaning, and maybe 2 jams. Sure its heavy, but it has always worked for me.
Im in the process of polishing the slide right now. It already looks a million times better. Especially with a new grip on it and my custom made shorter mag.

Really? I know a guy who keeps one in his car just so it's not as big of a deal if it gets stolen, but he's never said that it actually works well.... I guess I've never asked though.

flecom

heres my laser mount :)

IMG_0962.jpg

IMG_0961.jpg