Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Post Your GUN (PICS)

That .45 silencer was terrible then. Sounds like youre describing a Scionics Suppressor (mid-80's Mac10 silencer). They are poor silencers.

When I shoot matches with a silencer, the gun timer cannot register my shots (or times). It's kind of comical. The bullet smacking the backstop is generally MUCH louder than the shot. The only catch when shooting a .45 is you have to add little water or grease to the can which will about double the suppression. Shooting a .45 silencer dry is generally considered "loud" for most suppressors.

Here is a video of me shooting my 22 in the basement. (People upstairs did not hear the shots).
Listen to the bolt closing versus the shot. It's about the same. The bullet impact is loudest.
I'd estimate that (being shot wet) it's about -40dB or more. On a rifle, it'd be much quieter.

Gun Stuff :: SWR Warlock on Ruger 22/45 indoors video by jrm33 - Photobucket

Here is an "average" silencer on a 1911 (YHM Cobra like pictured above) and a silenced Ruger 22/45 (similar as pictured above).
Both are shot next to an unsilenced pistols and each other.

Silenced 1911 - YouTube - Silenced 1911 vs. Unsilenced 1911 .45ACP suppressor

Silenced .22lr - YouTube - Silenced Ruger .22 vs. Unsilenced Ruger .22

1911 vs. .22lr - YouTube - Silenced .22 vs. Silenced .45, handgun suppressor comparison

Yup, the suppressor was on his mac-10 :p It was an ugly thing too, wider on one end than the other. Do you know why adding grease to the supressor quiets it? Do you add it to the inside of the baffles or the part that touches the bullet?

Nothing should touch a bullet in a modern suppressor. Typically very outdated or special interest cans use wipes. I can only think of maybe 3 modern silencers that use them.

Sound is made by compressed gas rapidly expanding which forms a pressure front. All a suppressor does is allow the gas to expand and flow in a controlled environment. By the time the gas exits the suppressor much of the gass has expanded and cooled. The more time you can trap the gasses and allow them to expand and cool theless energy the gas has to form high sound pressure levels.

Water has better heat transfer and more thermal mass than air as well as heat-absorption upon phase-change. When extremely hot gasses & powder interact with a small amount of water , grease, or gel the gasses are cooled and the sound pressure levels are reduced. Spit, piss, wire pulling gell, gatorade, budweiser... all will significantly quiet a shot. In fact, there are some specialty extra small suppressors (with limited baffles in them) that rely on water and wipes for most of their suppression.

You just have to get a little but of water (a few mL) into the can anywhere. The blast from the first shot will get the water everywhere in the can, in your gun, and on your face and shirt. As you can imagine... cans that are quiet without water are much preferred to taking a bath in sooty-cancer-juice.

Ahh... I was under the impression that the bullet touched the baffles so that more of the gas was forced into the baffle to be released over time. Also, couldn't they just plug a big deflated balloon into a hole in the silencer and have it absorb like a hundred times more gas? :thinking: lol it would look silly but it should work well...

My 2 favorite guns.

1# I have a Cz/Vz-858-2 (Vz58) that runs on 7.62x39mm. Wickedly accurate for something using Comblock ammo.

2# S&W M&P 9mm pistol.

Attachments

• DSCN1153.jpg
    DSCN1153.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 368
Are you military? I was under the impression that owning guns was very illegal in south Korea...

I was at the range last weekend with my Colt AR, dressed in a Smith Ent. Vortex flash hider, Magpul goodies, C-More reflex sight, and TLR-1 light, and my Romanian AK pistol, which I'll pay the $200 NFA tax and make into a SBR (Short Barreled Rifle) sooner or later. It needs some handguards with heat shielding, the simple Romanian wood ones get hot too quickly, a micro Aimpoint, and some 20-round magazines that are more correct for it's compact AK Romanian armor/tank-crew origins.

rangeday.jpg

Here I am testing out the shoulder-holster I made out of molded Kydex for my Kel-Tec Sub9 folding carbine.

DSC_5349.jpg
DSC_5351.jpg

I have other various antique service and sporting rifles, modern pistols and revolvers, a few other Kalashnikov variants, a surplus parts-kit British inch-pattern FN-FAL, some shotguns too... Mainly I'm lazy and just posted the gun related pictures that belong to me from my Photobucket. :p

Last edited:

ped

As powerfull as were allowed in the UK (humph) :-

Nerf-gun-hack-airsoft.jpg

I was at the range last weekend with my Colt AR, dressed in a Smith Ent. Vortex flash hider, Magpul goodies, C-More reflex sight, and TLR-1 light, and my Romanian AK pistol, which I'll pay the $200 NFA tax and make into a SBR (Short Barreled Rifle) sooner or later. It needs some handguards with heat shielding, the simple Romanian wood ones get hot too quickly, a micro Aimpoint, and some 20-round magazines that are more correct for it's compact AK Romanian armor/tank-crew origins.

rangeday.jpg

... shortened message ...

Have you ever had any problems shooting steel cased out of your Colt? If what I see there is for your Colt that is.

"Last edited by AJ_Dual; 08-17-2010 at 10:22 PM. Reason: Never mind. I just lost them all in a "boating accident" Not a gun owner anymore."

Wait, what? Are you serious? I'm not sure I get the implication here...

Have you ever had any problems shooting steel cased out of your Colt? If what I see there is for your Colt that is.

Yeah, I tried some Wolf brand .223/5.56 a few years back and it failed to feed every other round. However, this was back in the late 90's, early 2000's and I haven't tried again since.

I might try again someday, since I know they've changed the coating on the steel. I just use brass cased Winchester white-box, or Federal bulk-packs (on the left), and save the steel cased 7.62x39 (and 5.45x39) for my AK's which digest it without complaint.

"Last edited by AJ_Dual; 08-17-2010 at 10:22 PM. Reason: Never mind. I just lost them all in a "boating accident" Not a gun owner anymore."

Wait, what? Are you serious? I'm not sure I get the implication here...

It's a long-standing joke on several gun forums that after discussing your collection that "You lost them all in a boating accident." the implication being that if the government ever came for them to confiscate them (more of a 1990's worry before the Supreme Court cases) that you'd claim they'd all been stolen/lost etc. rather than turn them over. :p

Last edited:
It's a long-standing joke on several gun forums that after discussing your collection that "You lost them all in a boating accident." the implication being that if the government ever came for them to confiscate them (more of a 1990's worry before the Supreme Court cases) that you'd claim they'd all been stolen/lost etc. rather than turn them over. :p
OK lol, I thought the implication was that you didn't want anyone to find out you still had them, but I thought you were serious :crackup: I couldn't see anything remotely illegal about them, so I was a bit confused :confused:

since this is a gun thread, i will post a question. my bro and i each got a .45 at the same time about 2 years ago. and we have the similar small gun safes. he doesn't pull his out often but the last time he did it has a lot of rust on the top. his is a nickle plated Para .45. any comments on why, and how to remove?

also, we live in riverside california. a generally dry place and our house doesn't have any leaks or a humidifier.

michael