Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Possible new aixiz 405/445 glass lens

jakeGT

I got my lens from qume yesterday, but I'm still completely wasted from last night, didn't stop partying till 7 this morning, so I'll update later with some results from his lens when I sober up

Bogart

I'll chime in here...

When I first ordered lenses from Aixiz, they came individually wrapped in brown paper inside of the white rolls of 5 each, and were of consistently good quality.

A while back I had received a couple batches of Aixiz lenss which were just the bare lenses/nuts wrapped in the white paper.

Those were not of consistently good quality at all. I ended up testing each one, and out of 150 lenses, I had to send back 40 of them, which Aixiz happily accepted.

I can understand why they would avoid shipping out any more of those.

Of the defective ones, half of them were smudged or dirty in some way, and the other half had loose internal elements and would rattle and change focus when shaken.

I then got some of Qumefox's lenses, which came wrapped in brown and white paper in sets of 5 (none individually wrapped), and they seemed to be of excellent and consistent quality. I didn't get to do a lot of comparison testing, but I tried one in my 405nm laser, which has been making 500mW using one from the low quality batch, and it measured over 600mW with the new lens. Granted, the old lens had been installed for a while and may have gotten dirty or smudged.

I ordered some more from Aixiz the other day and talked to Chuck. He said that they had a new round of lenses that were really hot, and that there was a lot of talk about them on the forums. I have not yet received them, but I expect to soon.

Hmm. I'm finding it hard to get my point across in each thread that I ask this in.

Wings. The old lens had huge wings next to the dot. Are the wings still there?

The 405G-1 produces no wings. I'm wondering if it now looks like that, or what. :thinking:

I'm sorry I missed this before... I know exactly what you're talking about & I can't stand them either. The tie-fighter like 'wings' that you're talking about I believe are from the slits in the rim at the top of the lens. If there was a way to fill those two liitle slits in I don't think the wings would be present. These slits are still in the elements that I've received, so yes you will still have this effect.

I used to think emitting the light from a 'deeper' insert might block out the wings & allow a more perfect beam - but after getting a custom focus tip from flamingpyro that was ~ 6/8" deeper than normal - there were still wings.

Exerd

I'm sorry I missed this before... I know exactly what you're talking about & I can't stand them either. The tie-fighter like 'wings' that you're talking about I believe are from the slits in the rim at the top of the lens. If there was a way to fill those two liitle slits in I don't think the wings would be present. These slits are still in the elements that I've received, so yes you will still have this effect.

I used to think emitting the light from a 'deeper' insert might block out the wings & allow a more perfect beam - but after getting a custom focus tip from flamingpyro that was ~ 6/8" deeper than normal - there were still wings.

Thanks for confirming.

These wings are a major problem. I am talking like 5% or so of the output actually emits in the region of these wings, because they have their own very apparent beam pattern when shined to the sky at night. The beam looks like crap--you get a big spotlight effect, like the batman call as I was saying.

Now you are saying that they all will have this, while another is saying he isn't sure what I mean and that the G1 has this. I never saw this effect with the G1 myself, just to note. Maybe we need to figure out just who out there is seeing these wings, and what is causing them. New lenses are always nice, but giant objective problems would probably be a good thing to look at and solve as well.

I will post photos when I get home at a later time.

Who else is experiencing the wings with the Aixiz lenses?

I have a half-threaded 405 Aixiz glass lens on my 445 and I don't think I can see wings (nothing unusual around the dot). I'm still not totally sure what to look for either.

I am talking like 5% or so of the output actually emits in the region of these wings, because they have their own very apparent beam pattern when shined to the sky at night. The beam looks like crap--you get a big spotlight effect, like the batman call as I was saying.

Yes, we're definitely talking about the same thing here. This 'patterned bleed' is definitely ~5% of the total diode optical emission.

Alright nevermind my previous statement. I just tested another laser with the same lens & it shows wings perpendicular to the slits in the rim :( I don't know WhTF those wings are there but I hate em too.

On a related note, the custom 6/8" deep focusing tip I mentioned before that I got from pyro.... One thing I thought of doing to reduce the light pollution from a sharp, near perfect beam was to take a black sharpie marker and darken the aluminum 'otherwise reflective' interior of the tube. The 'beam bleed' was roughly 25% less, it didn't have quite the reduction I'd hoped for....

EDIT: I've yet to own a 405-G-1 lens so I can't compare... I'll get a bundle soon though, I'm just not that into using lasers for burning :beer:

Last edited:

LaZeRz

Nice +1 i really needed info like this :)

btw when will you edit your review for all the lenses combined? thanks so much really need this :)

Thanks for confirming.

These wings are a major problem. I am talking like 5% or so of the output actually emits in the region of these wings, because they have their own very apparent beam pattern when shined to the sky at night. The beam looks like crap--you get a big spotlight effect, like the batman call as I was saying.

Now you are saying that they all will have this, while another is saying he isn't sure what I mean and that the G1 has this. I never saw this effect with the G1 myself, just to note. Maybe we need to figure out just who out there is seeing these wings, and what is causing them. New lenses are always nice, but giant objective problems would probably be a good thing to look at and solve as well.

I will post photos when I get home at a later time.

Who else is experiencing the wings with the Aixiz lenses?

Um. Read post #28 in this thread. I explained what the wings are. And honestly how bad they are varies from diode to diode. They aren't a lens problem. They're due to diode construction. Pretty much no diode we use in pointers were originally manufactured for that purpose. And for optical drives, the excess splash simply doesn't matter. If you have that much of a problem with the wings, then take it up with nichia and the other diode manufacturers. They're the only ones with the power to fix it. But good luck with that.

The only way to resolve the issue with optics, is to run the beam through a narrow aperture to simply chop them off of the output. And if this isn't done properly, it can lead to even worse splash than the wings due to reflections.

Exerd

Sorry, I did miss that post.

Here is what is odd about my results cumefox. Note that I am not contesting your accuracy now, just reporting my results.

My first A130 diode at 1W and G1 lens showed no such thing. No wings. Not even barely. I had a bar output, say 4x25mm at 40 feet (note, visual memory guess on those numbers), with no other artifacts anywhere outside the bar.

A second diode then came along. An A140 went behind the same lens, G1, with very similar output. No artifacts, no wings. I sold that laser, then bought the first batch of Aixiz 445nm glass lens assembly from Hakzaw (with correct golden coating), and popped in a new A140 diode. Now the massive wings were there.

I changed two variables, not a great thing for an experiment. I had however thought the wings came from the new lens, since after all, I did try two diodes before with no wings.

So, you must be saying that some diodes have a clean bar output, without artifacts, and some have giant wings.

I just find it amazing that the other two diodes did not do this at all, and had a clean bar compared to this configuration. Also, the G1 lens I was using did NOT have the aperture to clean the wings up.

I am posting from my office in town. When I get home tonight, I will attempt to take photos of the wings. I could try the Casio lens too, I suppose.

jakeGT

Okay everybody, finally got to doing an actual review.

Got my new g-1, and got my qumefox lens this weekend.
I had an old g-1, but sold it with a build. So I will include it's power in the table.

Also, Since I have no 445 at the moment (terrible I know. waiting on my custom ehgemus host) these tests were done with my Mohrenberg police side clicky host using a BDR-SO6J 12x set to 500mA

Heres the Results
Old g-1 830mW max
New g-1 802mW max
New Aixiz(1) 660mW max
New Aixiz(2) 645mW max
Old Aixiz 626mW max
Qumefox 641mW max

These tests were done with a LarryDFW sanyo 18650, starting tests at 4.13v, and ending at 4.11v.. I played for like half an hour, and the battery dropped .02v.... I love these larry batteries.

The g-1, has a disfigured circle around the main, more pronounced circle. All the other lenses, except for qumefox's and one of the new aixiz lenses, had a single very slight "fin" or "splash" kind of like this ()) but barely noticeable on one side of the "dot".

So I think it's safe to say, that every lens is unique, and that every coating is a little different. When I get my Ehgemus 445 done, I'll post results with 445 lasers, because I do believe these lenses act different with 445 and 405.

Thanks for reading!

LaZeRz

Thanks! nice to see someone willing to give information to help others +1 :)

Okay everybody, finally got to doing an actual review.

Got my new g-1, and got my qumefox lens this weekend.
I had an old g-1, but sold it with a build. So I will include it's power in the table.

Also, Since I have no 445 at the moment (terrible I know. waiting on my custom ehgemus host) these tests were done with my Mohrenberg police side clicky host using a BDR-SO6J 12x set to 500mA

Heres the Results
Old g-1 830mW max
New g-1 802mW max
New Aixiz(1) 660mW max
New Aixiz(2) 645mW max
Old Aixiz 626mW max
Qumefox 641mW max

Thanks for reading!

Sounds great! +1
look forward to reading the 445 results

I guess I should have cherry picked one instead of just sending a random one. ;)

The samples i've tested myself of mine, just comparing them to themselves, vary around 2% at 405nm running in the ~600mW range. If they are identical to the aixiz lenses, then you probably just got unlucky and got one of the -2% ones.

I guess I could order some aixiz lenses and do some comparisons myself but in all honesty, i'd rather the data come from 3rd parties regardless of the resulting numbers. Then I can't be accused of bias.

jakeGT

Hey everybody. I know this thread is old, but...

I got my new LPM today, because I had to sell my NOSPIN Ophir one a while ago.

But I was playing with a build I did, and thought this thread would be a good place to post some tests.

This is an o-like half threaded 405/445 glass lens which you can buy here.

And then everybody knows the good 'ol "aixiz style" 3 element glass lenses coated for blue...

Well I ordered one of the ten packs of the "aixiz style" (I say aixiz style because I do not know if Mohrenberg got these from aixiz, or another supplier) lenses from Moh during his going away sale. I tested 5 of those lenses with fairly similar power outputs. They vary a little but not a whole lot.

Here is a graph of an average "aixiz style" 3 element 405/445 glass lens.

guidesman175A.png

Max- 1646mW
This is in a guidesman, being driven at 1.75A by a lazeerer x-drive.

I tested the same laser ~7 minutes later with my o-like half threaded lens...

guidesmano-likelens.png

Max- 1785mW

I love the o-like half threaded lens, because it has the same nice clean output of a "aixiz style" lens, and mine had a 140mW increase in power.

So what I'm saying is, that if you do not have any o-like 405/445 lenses, then grab a couple and do some testing yourself... You might really enjoy them

Graphs added to OP

Last edited:

Blord

Nearly 10% more power with the half-thread lens isn't shabby.
Thanks for testing it out.

JLSE

Lenses can be misleading.. I say this because if you take a single laser
and try 10 lenses all the same, there will be differences. Im guessing it has something to
do with the coatings, as well as the specific wavelength of the laser.

When I build say '5' lasers, I match the lenses to each build.. You can typically squeeze
out some extra mW like this, but is only really an option if you have a small stock
of lenses to try it with. The increases aren't always a lot, but every drop counts :D