Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Possible 8X Sled from HighTechDealz

IgorT

I am very tempted to go for a good deal on 10 of these diodes, because i do think they might make for more reliable or rather more consistently reliable >200mW lasers, than GGWs, where i only dare go above 200mW with the best ones...

But i don't know how much more money i can afford to throw away on experiments like these...

I would like to torture at least two more till death, but at more "conservative" currents, one at 220mA, and another at 240mA - cycling them till death, while recording the time... I could probably use the more efficient ones to reach serious powers!

Damn... I shouldn't have gone so far with the first one... :undecided:

Krutz

interesting.. perhaps its time to do some research in that direction.. be it a readily "correction-module", a FAC, or a combination of lenses to be optically glued together.. hey, perhaps we could finally get rid of the LOC's wings too!
and, of course, more power on long range!

manuel

IgorT

interesting.. perhaps its time to do some research in that direction.. be it a readily "correction-module", a FAC, or a combination of lenses to be optically glued together.. hey, perhaps we could finally get rid of the LOC's wings too!
and, of course, more power on long range!

manuel

That research has been done long ago, and many such optics exist..
But all of them are extremelly expensive!

There are many approaches, the most efficient are when a single lens is used, which first slows down the fast axis, allowing the slow one to "catch up" with it, before collimating them both together...

Problem is, a lens like that requires axial-alignment. Meaning no turning for focusing!

The only other option is a sort of a FAC microlens on the diode before a usual collimator lens. But that would require a special module...

But if by "LOC wings" you mean the two stripes that seem to go through the dot, unfortunatelly nothing can get rid of that...

It comes from the sides of the slow axis, two slightly separated outputs, which somehow become lines when the main output is focused into a parallel beam.

All you can do is change how long the lines will be, by changing the FL. Same as with the splatter with blurays, where the FL determines how big it will be... (shorter FL = larger splatter / longer lines with reds)

This splatter on the other hand, seems to be just spontaneous emissions.
It's easiest to notice just below the diode's threshold current, pointing the diode at a sheet of paper.

Again it can't really be gotten rid of - every single lens has it, but it can be hidden in the 405nm glare, if the FL is not too short.. That's why i prefer to use my medium FL custom lens instead of the short FL ones..

Krutz

oh, i bet there do exist fancy optics already! :p
i was referring ti a more hobbyists-style "research", like "how can we do fast-axis-correction with less than 10$ and in optics that fit out modules and pointers?"

well, the correction-cube from those sleds are interesting, for that, at least!

manuel

daguin

Looks like we are stuck with "guessing" and burning out diodes, eh?

If there are no kinks, in the graph we are restricted to "survivability point" reports.

I'm going to set one up at 250mA to see how it acts.

@ IgorT -- With what we've seen, is there any reason to test the one I sent you do destruction? I'd hate to kill a good freak for naught.

Peace,
dave

IgorT

I wanted to put it on my cycler circuit, to test survivability...

But after mine popped, i started thinking i should cycle it at lower currents, to get some useful data....

I too would be most interested in what happens at 225-250mA when put on a cycler cct (how many hours it can survive).

But for that it doesn't have to be a freak....

Why, what are you suggesting?

daguin

I wanted to put it on my cycler circuit, to test survivability...
But after mine popped, i started thinking i should cycle it at lower currents, to get some useful data....
I too would be most interested in what happens at 225-250mA when put on a cycler cct (how many hours it can survive).
But for that it doesn't have to be a freak....
Why, what are you suggesting?

I have no problem with sacrificing it if it will help. I would just hate to waste it for naught.

In any event, I have two S03's here I could send, for you to run from scratch. One is already "harvested" (W/O heat) and pressed into an aiXiz. The other is still a complete sled. Your "torture rack" would give us more information than my "long term" test.

Peace,
dave

IgorT

You know what... I think i have this freak S03 somewhere (or at least on it's way)..
I'll trade you the freak for the two randoms... :angel:

Oh wait! The freak is yours anyway! :yabbem:

But seriously, i would actually much rather test "normal" S03's, than a freak, especially now that i know more about their limits...

I already know from experience, that freaks can be set to higher powers without dying, especially if they reach the higher powers at the same current. Their higher efficiency is probably an indication they have less imperfections in the die...

That's why i am much more interested in what the AVERAGE S03 can do... The freaks will always be there, if i decide to make a purchase, based on the results from the normals... But it's the normals that are the most important!

My upgraded Cycler Cct. can now test multiple diodes simultaneously, but unfortunatelly my PP is DRY, cos i spent it all on destructive testing of multiple pieces of three different "new" (only the S03 actually was new, the rest were PHRs hyped up as something else) diode models, so i can't really afford any more research for a while.. :(

Last edited:

daguin

You know what... I think i have this freak S03 somewhere (or at least on it's way)..
I'll trade you the freak for the two randoms... :angel:
Oh wait! The freak is yours anyway! :yabbem:
But seriously, i would actually much rather test "normal" S03's, than a freak, especially now that i know more about their limits...
I already know from experience, that freaks can be set to higher powers without dying, especially if they reach the higher powers at the same current. Their higher efficiency is probably an indication they have less imperfections in the die...
That's why i am much more interested in what the AVERAGE S03 can do... The freaks will always be there, if i decide to make a purchase, based on the results from the normals... But it's the normals that are the most important!
My upgraded Cycler Cct. can now test multiple diodes simultaneously, but unfortunatelly my PP is DRY, cos i spent it all on destructive testing of multiple pieces of three different "new" (only the S03 actually was new, the rest were PHRs hyped up as something else) diode models, so i can't really afford any more research for a while.. :(

Do you want me to remove the one from the aiXiz module before I ship it? I'll pop the other out of the sled and leave it in its heat sink for you to remove.

These can go in a simple Priority envelope, so no big expense

Peace.
dave

IgorT

No, leave in AixiZ, why risk removing? I have plenty of v2 type heatsinks left, so i'm sure i'll find a tight fit for your module...

As for the other one, in it's tiny heatsink is perfect, yes... :)

Funny thing... If you ship them with Priority, they might actually get here before the freak!

Otherwise, would it be OK, if i at least plotted the freak for the Vf data before returning it?

I'd like to see if the Vf has anything to do with what they can take (since it has an impact on actual efficiency - lower Vf = less heat at same current)? I don't have to plot it as high as you did, just high enough to get an idea, extrapolating the rest, without endangering it in any way.....

I promisse i won't hurt it..

Something which i can not say for the other two... they will suffer slowly. VERY slowly.... :evil:

daguin

No, leave in AixiZ, why risk removing? I have plenty of v2 type heatsinks left, so i'm sure i'll find a tight fit for your module...
As for the other one, in it's tiny heatsink is perfect, yes... :)
Funny thing... If you ship them with Priority, they might actually get here before the freak!
Otherwise, would it be OK, if i at least plotted the freak for the Vf data before returning it?
I'd like to see if the Vf has anything to do with what they can take (since it has an impact on actual efficiency - lower Vf = less heat at same current)? I don't have to plot it as high as you did, just high enough to get an idea, extrapolating the rest, without endangering it in any way.....
I promisse i won't hurt it..
Something which i can not say for the other two... they will suffer slowly. VERY slowly.... :evil:

NP. If it will help, have fun with the other as well. I'll probably get these off to you today.

HEY! I got a great deal on an LG BH0820LS the other day. The guy couldn't get it to run "well" in his computer. Do you have the time and or the desire to build me one of your lasers with it? You could play with it before hand . . . . . . :D

Also, I will pay you to build it ;)

Peace,
dave

IgorT

NP. If it will help, have fun with the other as well. I'll probably get these off to you today.

I think it's important that i plot the freak, so that i learn how to tell the freaks appart from the normals.

Luckily since they are straight lines, i don't have to go far, and it's completelly risk-free.

If i were to skip plotting the freak, in the future i wouldn't know which is which, if i decide to get some!

HEY! I got a great deal on an LG BH0820LS the other day. The guy couldn't get it to run "well" in his computer. Do you have the time and or the desire to build me one of your lasers with it? You could play with it before hand . . . . . . :D

Also, I will pay you to build it ;)

Peace,
dave

Umm, what now? Is that an LG 8x?

Is it the first one on the forum?

I'd absolutelly love to build it! :drool:

The plotting alone will make me a happy man!

EDIT: However... Will you request a power i'll be scared to set it to? :undecided:

Last edited:
I think Arenared has a few builds with that drive. I think if this S03 doesn't work out, I might have to bite the bullet and pick up a drive.

daguin

I think it's important that i plot the freak, so that i learn how to tell the freaks appart from the normals.
Luckily since they are straight lines, i don't have to go far, and it's completelly risk-free.
If i were to skip plotting the freak, in the future i wouldn't know which is which, if i decide to get some!
Umm, what now? Is that an LG 8x?
Is it the first one on the forum?
I'd absolutelly love to build it! :drool:
The plotting alone will make me a happy man!
EDIT: However... Will you request a power i'll be scared to set it to? :undecided:

No worries. You have fun with it. I got two S03's given to me for testing and I bought two. I still have one set up here somewhere. :undecided:

The LG BH08 is the LG 8X burner. There are a couple others already running in the group. I think Arenared has a couple running at 365mA.

However, I will not ask for any particular output from the LG. You plot it and make the output what you would for yourself. I already have my >500mW violet ;)

I'll keep my eyes peeled on the PC lists for another person that is unhappy with their burner :angel:

Peace,
dave

I built arenas LG 8x.

ask him what current i set it to, I dont remember

He will though,

Dark

IgorT

No worries. You have fun with it. I got two S03's given to me for testing and I bought two. I still have one set up here somewhere. :undecided:

Great! After four S03 diodes i should have a PRETTY GOOD idea what they are capable of!

However, I will not ask for any particular output from the LG. You plot it and make the output what you would for yourself. I already have my >500mW violet ;)

Phew! Ok, i'll do it this way then..

Altho i was thinking of setting it to a power i deem "reasonably high", and then leaving a jumper open for you, just in case you HAVE to raise it. :evil:

So Romisen host, a v3 Heatsink/Module and my v4 BR Boost driver then?
I've been saving an older version of the host for a special occasion, an anodizing that is no longer available. I think you'll like it..

I better start etching away! I always have like 15 drivers less than i need! There were times, when i had to take personal lasers appart, just to get that extra driver i was missing... They are a bitch to make. :undecided:

But their stability is worth the extra work...

Otherwise, i'm REALLY looking forward to testing yet another 8x diode!
The more of them i test, the more i learn about them...

I'll keep my eyes peeled on the PC lists for another person that is unhappy with their burner :angel:

Hehe, you have some good ideas... :cool:

If someone has two such drives they are unhappy with (or two someones have one unhappy drive each), and want to get rid of them at a decent price, let me know.. :angel: