Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Possible 8X Sled from HighTechDealz

i'm dieing to have one of these...i'll have to see where i'm at after pay day + bills.

Hey Dave, How was the harvesting process? Would you say it was more or less difficult than your previous 8X sled? From what I understand, your last one was pretty easy..

daguin

Hey Dave, How was the harvesting process? Would you say it was more or less difficult than your previous 8X sled? From what I understand, your last one was pretty easy..

Harvesting was not difficult. The violet diode's heat sink is glued in place. I mostly just popped it off with a small screwdriver.

The heat sink itself is a two-part assembly, The outer part is pot aluminum but the inner part is a copper alloy.

8xbluray7%20copy.gif

(from HighTeckDealz)

I broke both with a gentle "twisting" similar to the way we remove the heat sink from the PHR. I removed the ribbon cable in my usual fashion by snipping it into "pie pieces" and then using a small pointed knife to remove the remnants.

Peace,
dave

Here's the graph!
(feel free to add it to the OP!)

20746139.png

EDIT: Here's the .xls sheet if you need to modify anything: Zippyshare.com - 8x Graph.xls

Daguin, don't you think that it could be the heat from the rkcstr drive that prohibited the curve from rising up? (In the graph it doesn't seem to flatten). I mean, maybe it's possible to add a heatsink to the key components of the drive, I've had many projects limited by the heat on LM transistors. If at 350mA you got 425mW with the G1 lens then if it was possible to drive it at 400mA then you'd get around the same power your freak 512mW diode got.

This one looks more like the SF-AW210.
SF-AW210-daguinsm.jpg

Attachments

• SF-AW210-daguinsm.jpg
    SF-AW210-daguinsm.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 218
Last edited:

daguin

This one looks more like the SF-AW210.
/SF-AW210-daguinsm.jpg[/IMG]

The SF-AW210 showed a significant kink beginning at around 180mA. It showed a smaller one around 240mA. It also failed at 375mA. Finally, the SF-210 diode did NOT have the alph-numeric "brand" that this one has.

I did not tear it out of a drive so I cannot say for sure. However, they do not appear to be the same diode

Peace,
dave

So the 8X is now available... Hark! A new era begins!

Dave, I'm sending you a PM about a custom build...

IgorT

Interesting. Dave, you seem to get a lot of freak diodes, so we should have a few more people do tests as you said. I'm guessing that Kendall isn't putting it on the website until the diodes are fully tested.

I'd think so too, but they are already being sold as 8x Writer sleds...

Do we have ANY confirmation that they are anything of that kind?
Where is the info coming from?

I mean, i'm just wondering. Remember what happened when we bought 4x's as 6x's. :(

One good graph is not proof of anything yet, even if it does look promissing!

However i'll probably get some for testing anyway. :angel:

Last edited:
I'd think so too, but they are already being sold as 8x Writer sleds...

Do we have ANY confirmation that they are anything of that kind?
Where is the info coming from?

I mean, i'm just wondering. Remember what happened when we bought 4x's as 6x's. :(

One good graph is not proof of anything yet, even if it does look good.

However i'll probably get some for testing anyway. :angel:

Well I trust my supplier and he got the sleds from actual 8x blu ray burners, model BDR-S03. And I trust Dave's findings and opinion as he's seen a few 8x blu ray diodes. I'm still working on getting one tested myself but my real job work schedule seems to get in the way. I tried testing one before work today but ran out of time...

i have to test some SF-AW210 blu ray diodes I just got in as well so I can start selling them as well.. as well as the red diodes from the SF-AW210 *edited* (short open can red diodes i guess, I had thought they were long though, *edit 2* I found some info saying they are long open can. I'll test this for sure very soon to see what they are.) need testing.

-Kendall

Last edited:

jayrob

Hey Kendall, I found the short open can reds in the SF-AW210 sleds. They are graphed here:

Red%20Diode%20Graph%20-%20All.jpg

But the Long Closed Can reds are much better. We found those in both the GBW-H10N sleds, as well as the GGW-H20L's.

Personally, I like the LCC reds at about 390mA's. This gives about 225mW's with AixiZ acrylic. (270mW's with Meredith glass)

Let us know if those diodes are now being found in the SF-AW210 sleds! :)
Jay

Long (canned) Red - GGW-H20L.jpg

Last edited:

IgorT

Oh, i only just noticed this now. I think some 8x's have been plotted higher than 400mA, right? Well, at least they have been set higher, and they don't pop instantly.

Has anyone tried doing the same with one of these?

I mean, the graph looks lovelly, and very promissing, and i'd love to believe these are the real deal, but i do think we should do more testing, before declaring them to be same as 8x's, and buying multiple at this price....

I was wondering if anyone ever gutted an LG 8x BluRay Writer:
Newegg.com Link

Could this be the sled from there, since it's using the same DVD diode? Oh wait, that's a READER, does LG make an 8x WRITER? Looks like they do:
BestBuy Link

I mean, we know the Chinese have a way to get sleds from LG...

So far LG has provided us with the best 6x diodes. Did anyone ever test their 8x drive?

Last edited:
The BDR-S03 is a from a Pioneer drive, according to Google. I read some things that the model may have a J on the end as well, "BDR-S03J". This was a Japanese website though so I'm not so sure about this part. Many sites cite it as "BDR-S03-OEM" also.

-Kendall
Oh, i only just noticed this now. I think some 8x's have been plotted higher than 400mA, right? Well, at least they have been set higher, and they don't pop instantly.

Has anyone tried doing the same with one of these?

I mean, the graph looks lovelly, and very promissing, and i'd love to believe these are the real deal, but i do think we should do more testing, before declaring them to be same as 8x's, and buying multiple at this price....

I was wondering if anyone ever gutted an LG 8x BluRay Writer? Newegg.com - LG Black 8X BD-ROM 16X DVD-ROM 40X CD-ROM SATA Internal Combo LG Blu-ray Reader & 16X LightScribe DVD±R DVD Burner - Blu-Ray Drives

Could this be the sled from there, since it's using the same DVD diode? Oh wait, that's a READER, does LG make an 8x WRITER?

I mean, we know the Chinese have a way to get sleds from LG...

So far LG has provided us with the best 6x diodes. Did anyone ever test their 8x drive?

IgorT

Thanks for the info, Sk8ter!

Looks interesting!

I definitelly want to try them out!:drool:

Check your email..

IgorT

Ok, IMPORTANT QUESTION:

Did not someone once gut this very Pioneer 8x writer and make a laser out of it?
Did that someone post photos and/or descriptions of the sled and the red diode they found inside?

Does anyone know where that thread is?

It would be great if we could compare pics of the sled and other details to these sleds!

daguin

I have not seen a picture of this sled as it was removed from a drive. I think that someone posted they had a couple of these drives, but the only pictures that were posted (IIRC) were beamshots of his scanners.

Peace,
dave

Last edited: