Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Popular Science Phaser Article...

When I get the next issue I will be looking for it.
Looks great !
The sound really cinches the deal.
Way to go.

Benm

Thats pretty cool!

I told him to mention the importance of proper eye protection, and to put a link to LPF, but I guess I only got limited space for the article...

I suppose people that will actually build it will find their way here, or at least somewhere that mentions eye protection.

jib77

Congrats! I just found out about this from a co-worker ... he was telling me how his son just read an article about a phaser, I told him it might be your work and sure enough!

jayrob

Great to hear about such an experience...

Thanks for passing that along!

Anyway, I really like all the great compliments, but we all know it's not that big of a deal to build it...

To the outsider it is... But to us it's just a 445 laser.

We all know that KipKay had the Phaser idea.

But I guess Popular Science wasn't too impressed with only a 15mW build that did not have sound, no driver, no heatsink, no focus ability, a weak 9 volt battery, probably didn't last a day before it killed the diode, etc...

But that said, his motive was not to build it right. His motive was to make money from add revenue on the video. So he did accomplish his goal. And he did not spend much money doing it. So probably from his point of view, his was a complete success.

That's my long winded take on it all! :)

Just want you guys to know that I don't think anymore of myself just because a writer from Popular Science did a short write up on it.

I sure wish they would have put a link to LPF like I asked them to do though. That would have been cool...

Last edited:
Just want you guys to know that I don't think anymore of myself just because a writer from Popular Science did a short write up on it.

Running towards the celebrity you can hear the
cry..... Hey Mr. "J"... can I have your autograph.....;)

Jerry

Jay, can you sign my lasers? :) I wonder how much my "JayRob Signature Series" builds will be worth in a few years :)

jayrob

Jay, can you sign my lasers? I wonder how much my "JayRob Signature Series" builds will be worth in a few years

:crackup:

Well let's see... If they start off being worthless, then they will always hold their value!

Last edited:
Thats awesome Jay! Its neat that popular mechanics picked up on your video and asked you about your phaser :)

All of your builds are great though, you're one of the reasons I joined LPF and starting learning how to build my own lasers ;)

Congrats :beer:

jayrob

:thanks:

I just got that little corner of the page...

The page has two other laser builds. The Iron Man hand palm laser attachment (main article on the page), and a spirograph build. Not sure who the user names are, but I'm sure they are here on LPF...

Edit: Oh is that you?

I would have mentioned it if I know who the user was. But I had no idea who it was?? Do you know who the LPF user is, that made the spirograph shown in the article?

Last edited:
Would be kinda cocky to open a thread myself...didnt even notice someone did.
I am a modest guy you know :)

Trevor

would have mentioned it if I know who the user was. But I had no idea who it was?? Do you know who the LPF user is, that made the spirograph shown in the article?

Without looking, maybe it was rog?

-Trevor

jayrob

Not Rog, I've seen his spiro's...

This one has a blue box, and it looks like two knobs/pots, and two switches on top, and also on the side... by Dan Kruse in Fresno, CA

Last edited: