Welcome to Laser Pointer Forums - discuss green laser pointers, blue laser pointers, and all types of lasers

LPF Donation via Stripe | LPF Donation - Other Methods

Links below open in new window

ArcticMyst Security by Avery

Poll: How to resove uninsured package loss?

How to resolve the loss of an uninsured package?

• Seller resends items to buyer.

Votes: 12 35.3%
  • Return of full amount to buyer.

Votes: 3 8.8%
  • Partial refund to buyer.

Votes: 9 26.5%
  • No refund, buyer's loss.

Votes: 10 29.4%

• Total voters

Ash

Just from the appearance of the box, it looks like the "packing" was insufficient. The box was "squished" causing the corners to break open. The prisms probably fell out of the open corners.

The point here is that the box should have been "filled" with packing solid enough to prevent this level of "squishing" AND the prisms should have been wrapped well enough to prevent them moving through the resultant opening easily. A little bubble wrap goes a long way.

People do not pay to have a "package shipped." They pay to have "merchandise delivered." Until that merchandise is delivered, the shipper is still responsible. The shippers responsibility does NOT end when they drop the package off at the post office. It ends when the merchandise is delivered (plus any warranty service)

Peace,
dave

**EDIT** I didn't clearly answer your question. My opinion is that Potatorage still owes you a set of prisms.
Thanks for your (well respected) opinion. You make excellent points.
In your case, it probably wouldn't have mattered.
I say this because the USPS needs to see the damaged merchandise and verify that it was properly packaged with enough care and padding. Since there was nothng in the box, USPS wouldn't give you a dime as there is no proof of damaged goods.

In the future, if a package ever arrives damaged, you need to open it in front of the carrier. If they just leave it at the door, then take it to the post office and open the package in front of the clerk so thy can verify the contents and how well they were packaged to prevent damage.
Hopefully this information will help you others in the forum in the future.
Thanks very much for the advice. They just left it at the door, but the note was inside, so they know it was damaged. I'm thinking that; If it were properly packaged, I wouldn't have needed insurance.
:undecided:
I'm sure $22 is not going to be a life changing hit for either one of you. Either send a couple more to the buyer or send more money to the seller. In the future you will remember this as a lesson learned and it may save you hundreds later in life..... Don't make a mountain out of a molehill so to speak.... Peace :D
Wait. What? Send more money?
facepalm.jpg
I don't think so.

I don't even care about losing a few dollars. It's more about the point of who is responsible. Now I know that it really depends on who you do business with.
But I will always;
1. Insist on Insurance
and
2. If I am dealing with someone who only possesses limited capacity, walk them through (step by step) how to properly package fragile objects such as glass prisms.
:thinking:

Last edited:
The buyer must ask for Insurance... It is not the seller's responsibility to insure your goods.
As to the USPS damaging your package...and saying "Sorry we damaged your package".....
they admit responsibility for the damage and are thereby legally responsible for your loss.....IMO

Jerry

I would have offered insurance if buyer asked for it, but it is NOT my fault the items were damaged. I packaged the prisms sufficiently( foam pellets and bubble wrap) so it is not my fault USPS ran it over with a truck.

daguin

I would have offered insurance if buyer asked for it, but it is NOT my fault the items were damaged. I packaged the prisms sufficiently( foam pellets and bubble wrap) so it is not my fault USPS ran it over with a truck.

They are your customer service points -- Spend them any way you desire ;)

Peace,
dave

I insure everything use priority and get sig or del conformation that way
myself and recipiant are covered -its pretty expensive but worth it ..........

Well I guess now this is my thread too, USPS just delivered me a smashed to hell box with a very expensive CNI 473nm labby and laser display show w/scanners, etc - the box had been hit, dropped or whatever so hard that the laser and power supply had tore loose inside the unit, smashing/cracking several PCB's, knocking components off the boards, torn wiring harnesses, the whole shootin match... I'm waiting to hear fom Luke (Yobresal) as to what to do, I'm just SICK as I was really hoping to run the unit at the shows this weekend but that won't be happening I can assure you - I can fix torn wires and possibly even replace broken components, but cracked PCB's, etc just isn't in the realm of my abilities... Even the laser itself is having problems, it fires up but blinks occasionally, then runs OK at rated power, then all of a sudden starts dimming/bright, etc for a few seconds and then back to normal, AAAAAARGH!

I'll probably start a new "bitching about the Post Office and their Claims Procedures" thread soon, believe me!

Ash

Well I guess now this is my thread too, USPS just delivered me a smashed to hell box with a very expensive CNI 473nm labby and laser display show w/scanners, etc - the box had been hit, dropped or whatever so hard that the laser and power supply had tore loose inside the unit, smashing/cracking several PCB's, knocking components off the boards, torn wiring harnesses, the whole shootin match...
I'll probably start a new "bitching about the Post Office and their Claims Procedures" thread soon, believe me!
Wow. That's absolutely horrible. Wasn't there a fragile sticker? I hope it was insured and a claim is made. Is it apathy or blatant disregard on the USPS' part?

The buyer must ask for Insurance... It is not the seller's responsibility to insure your goods.

That's a really an odd thing for you to say, Jerry, considering all Laserbees are only sold with insured shipping... :thinking:

Not to mention I disagree with your POV. I see absolutely no reason why a seller cannot "discuss" shipping options with the buyer beforehand. Jayrob, for instance, clearly states his shipping policy with each and every one of his DIY kits (threads). Daguin made a recommendation based on the value of the item in question to me and I accepted. Ken and I discussed various options together. Likeitbright, on the other hand, just shipped it priority w/o asking me but I'm fairly certain that he's the type of person that will cover the loss (but that's my opinion only).

@PotatoeRage & Ash: I realize this thread is based on "principle" and not the actual transaction at hand and so I agree the thread has merit. That said, your actual case based on a $22 transaction should have been a done deal by now.

PotatoRage if you are not planning on being a full-fleged "Tradesmen" at lpf, you could have none the less offered to pay half, as a token of good will. If, on the other hand, your aim is to do a little side business on a constant basis, then you should have covered the whole amount. $22 is a small price to pay for customer loyalty. Not to mention rep gained through proverbial "word of mouth". Hava a look at any one of my reviews; a good deal and great dealers will be acknowledged here at LPF :)

Ash, insure $22 worth??? I bet that the insurance alone will cost $11... which implies you would have paid $33 for those chipped prisms. nobody likes to loose their hard-earned money but if you can't afford to write off $22 to bad luck than this is hobby is probably going to be a little to risky financially for your taste... :undecided:

Ash

Ash, insure $22 worth??? I bet that the insurance alone will cost $11... which implies you would have paid $33 for those chipped prisms. nobody likes to loose their hard-earned money but if you can't afford to write off $22 to bad luck than this is hobby is probably going to be a little to risky financially for your taste... :undecided:
Oh. $22 is one drink at an upscale bar. :beer: I'm totally not worried about it.
I consider $22 an extremely cheap lesson to learn and, as I said before, it's not the money. It's the principle. :eg: